Lets Talk Metal
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #27,301 of 29,661
Those midpaced OSDM albums are all killer.

I'd prefer not to think how many albums I bought off BandCamp this year. I know it's at least 50...

Yup, i say this every year, but it's been a good year for death metal.

Ekpyrosis - Primordial Chaos Restored
Phrenelith - Ornamented Dead Eyes
Anachronism - Orogeny
Flesh Consumed - Hymn for the Leeches
Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure
Valgrind - Balckest Horizon
Construct of Lethe - Exiler
Kataplexis - Kataplexis
Psychotomy - Aphotik
Burial Invocation - Abiogenesis
Exlimitir - It Weighs Itself in Silver
Zealotry - At the Nexus of all Stillborn Worlds
Apocrophex - Æternalis
Nekrovault - Obscure
Sadism - Ethereal Dead Cult
Lago - Sea of Duress
Cosmic Atrophy - The Void Engineers
Ruin - Human Annihilation
Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms
Tomb Mold - Cerulean Salvation
Couple Undergang, Vastum, and Gatcreeper splits
Drawn and Quartered - The One Who Lurks
Hate Eternal - Upon Desolate Sands
Stortregn - Emptiness Fills the Void
Barus - Drowned
Inferi - Revenant
Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
Taphos - Come Ethereal Somberness
Infernal Coil - Witihin a World Forgotten
Aetherius - Absentia
Voracious Scourge - Our Demise
Baring Teeth - Transitive Savagery
Beyond Creation - Algorythm
Corpsessed - Impetus of Death
Mortuous - Through Wilderness
Druid Lord - Grotesque Offerings
Outer Heaven - Realms of Eternal Decay
Dysmorphic - An Illusive Process
Nasty Surgeons - Infectious Stench
Extremity - Coffin Birth
Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
Revocation - The Outer Ones
Sentient Horror - The Crypts Below
Sadism - Ethereal Dead Cult
Ichor - Hadal Ascending
Dead Mind Primitive Instinct
Sadist - Spellbound
The Konsortium - Rogaland
Scorched - Ecliptic Butchery
Depravity - Evil Upheavel
Crypteria - Crypteria
Post Mortal Possession - Perpetual Descent
Coexistence - Contact with the Entity
Dominant - The Summoning
Requiem - Global Resistance Rising
Resumed - Year Zero
Antilles - The Intricate Pathe of Creation
Crocell - Relics
Unflesh - Savior
Arsis - Visitant
Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #27,302 of 29,661
Loved some of my buddys records (local bands, too!)
  • Breag Naofa "Untitled"

• Power Wolves 'You Won't Find Peace' album
  • 'One H.E.L.L. Of A Compilation'

***BTW, setting Power Wolves albums accidentally to a lower RPM on his record player = amazing/brutal/deep vocals

Some other honorable mentions...
  • Floodwalker - "Lifeless"
  • And their 'EP'
  • Electric Wizard - "Funeralopolis"
  • And saw these great bands back in Oct.= fookin' awesome:
    Gatecreeper -
    Genocide Pact - https://genocidepact.bandcamp.com/

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #27,303 of 29,661

This was the Mayhem album that split the fan base. Some got it, some were confused..... some were pissed. Maybe the musicianship or something........but I have always found it amazing. Not sure about this remix, though it’s cool to hear, it is absolutely more detailed, but it makes me want to go back and listen to the original again. So it’s both enlightening and questionable......regardless it’s a ton of fun. Recommended!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #27,304 of 29,661
Oppressor - Solstice of Oppression

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #27,305 of 29,661

This was the Mayhem album that split the fan base. Some got it, some were confused..... some were pissed. Maybe the musicianship or something........but I have always found it amazing. Not sure about this remix, though it’s cool to hear, it is absolutely more detailed, but it makes me want to go back and listen to the original again. So it’s both enlightening and questionable......regardless it’s a ton of fun. Recommended!

It's... okay. I read a review that described it well: The album sounds like it's always getting ready for something big and then it just doesn't. Like every track seems like the introduction to a song that never seems to get to the song part.

Breag Nofa is VERY much my jam right now.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #27,306 of 29,661
Qrixkuor - Three Devils Dance

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #27,307 of 29,661
It's... okay. I read a review that described it well: The album sounds like it's always getting ready for something big and then it just doesn't. Like every track seems like the introduction to a song that never seems to get to the song part.

Breag Nofa is VERY much my jam right now.

It’s actually my second favorite Mayhem album. Though it took me a couple really difficult early listens till I realized the timing changes and musicianship. It’s actually over most people’s heads, way over. But for me it all comes down to Blasphemers guitar work. Not to mention the bass fills and drum fills. Your from the half that doesn’t get it, which is fine, as 1/2 just don’t and never will. The build-up you speak of is cured by the message they speak.

Though I may glorify it way too much. It was the right time when I heard it, and it still stands out as brightly unique, somehow?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #27,308 of 29,661
It’s actually my second favorite Mayhem album. Though it took me a couple really difficult early listens till I realized the timing changes and musicianship. It’s actually over most people’s heads, way over. But for me it all comes down to Blasphemers guitar work. Not to mention the bass fills and drum fills. Your from the half that doesn’t get it, which is fine, as 1/2 just don’t and never will. The build-up you speak of is cured by the message they speak.

Though I may glorify it way too much. It was the right time when I heard it, and it still stands out as brightly unique, somehow?

Hellhammer is out of control on that album, for sure. One of his best performances (as great as Blasphemer's work is on it). It's a fantastic album, for sure, although I'm not gonna lie. Playing the "oh you just don't get it" card irks me a bit. Really, it's entirely possible to 100% "get" an album/film/book and still not fall in love with it. There's no lack of understanding, it just doesn't resonate with me.

As for a best of 2018... I don't think I could. My list would be just be colossal. I've been gobbling up music faster than ever and there's been way too damn many. I just went through a handful of my 2018 listening and found:
  • Behemoth
  • Kraanium
  • Leeched
  • Uada
  • Mol
  • Aseitas
  • Rivers of Nihil
  • Bloodbath
  • Entropy Created Consciousness
  • Funeral Mist
  • Ancst
  • Xavleg
  • Slugdge
  • Daughters
  • Race Traitor
  • Zeal & Ardor
  • Human Serpent
  • Frontierer
  • Author & Punisher
  • Jesus Piece
  • Thantifaxath
  • Holy Fawn
  • Obliteration
  • Svartidaudi
  • Tomb Mold
  • Hush
  • Brahdr'uhz
And that's really just me going through my Last.FM history and looking at what came out in 2018 that I can see. I know I forgot tons.

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #27,309 of 29,661
Hellhammer is out of control on that album, for sure. One of his best performances (as great as Blasphemer's work is on it). It's a fantastic album, for sure, although I'm not gonna lie. Playing the "oh you just don't get it" card irks me a bit. Really, it's entirely possible to 100% "get" an album/film/book and still not fall in love with it. There's no lack of understanding, it just doesn't resonate with me.

As for a best of 2018... I don't think I could. My list would be just be colossal. I've been gobbling up music faster than ever and there's been way too damn many. I just went through a handful of my 2018 listening and found:
  • Behemoth
  • Kraanium
  • Leeched
  • Uada
  • Mol
  • Aseitas
  • Rivers of Nihil
  • Bloodbath
  • Entropy Created Consciousness
  • Funeral Mist
  • Ancst
  • Xavleg
  • Slugdge
  • Daughters
  • Race Traitor
  • Zeal & Ardor
  • Human Serpent
  • Frontierer
  • Author & Punisher
  • Jesus Piece
  • Thantifaxath
  • Holy Fawn
  • Obliteration
  • Svartidaudi
  • Tomb Mold
  • Hush
  • Brahdr'uhz
And that's really just me going through my Last.FM history and looking at what came out in 2018 that I can see. I know I forgot tons.
I’m simply saying 1/2 of people don’t like it. It’s a weird album for sure. I’m not saying you don’t get it, but many didn’t and never will get it. I’m sure people understand it and don’t think it’s still that great. It’s a reach but not a reach too far in my view.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #27,312 of 29,661
Encoffinized - Interdimensional Abomination of the Dark Abyss

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #27,313 of 29,661
Dec 19, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #27,315 of 29,661

Users who are viewing this thread

Back