Lets Talk Metal
Oct 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #24,751 of 29,660
[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NLe2heuuAT4 [/VIDEO]

Really getting into this EP. My brother saw them play live last night!

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #24,752 of 29,660
Really getting into this EP. My brother saw them play live last night!

Saw Ghost live almost a year ago now (28th November), feels like yesterday, their shows are incredible - your brother is very lucky, if you get the chance to go see them I cannot recommend it enough.

All their work is extraordinary in my opinion but Meliora is even better than the earlier albums I'd say; definitely my favourite band formed in recent years, probably the best post 2000 even despite their members (allegedly) being semi-veterans already.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #24,753 of 29,660
Definitely AOTY material:

40 Watt Sun – The Inside Room

40wattsun.com

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #24,754 of 29,660
Saw Ghost live almost a year ago now (28th November), feels like yesterday, their shows are incredible - your brother is very lucky, if you get the chance to go see them I cannot recommend it enough.

All their work is extraordinary in my opinion but Meliora is even better than the earlier albums I'd say; definitely my favourite band formed in recent years, probably the best post 2000 even despite their members (allegedly) being semi-veterans already.

I do like everything they have done though my favorites are albums one and two plus the two EPs. They seem to be a mix of much of the 1970s music too which is nice as not many have taken the 1970s vibe and brought it into today? IMO.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #24,755 of 29,660

Fleshgod Apocalypse?

Start with this one:

Also check out the Anorexia Nervosa tracks on my playlist.

I just heard them in youtube to get a feel of the music, wow what a brutal drum attack, I love it!!
they sound different from Septicflesh IMO, but in a good way, loving it so far..

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #24,757 of 29,660

Glad you like it. I wish the production for the King to be a little bit better. The symphony elements are very high on the mix.

just heard the song myself using my ve monk+, I think it is a little diffused at times, I only heard several songs that have a high view count in youtube, definitely need some time to explore this band, I think I'm getting into Symphonic brutal death / brutal death.
right after that, I tried Nile too, and again I like it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #24,758 of 29,660
Glad you like it. I wish the production for the King to be a little bit better. The symphony elements are very high on the mix.

[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llnS-mhRZI8
[/VIDEO]
King is such a show of talent and imagination in music, though we must not forget that the band still has a super large fanbase which like the first albums better. That's the great part for a new listener, they can hear our 2016 Fleshgod Apocalypse the get into the old albums and EPs later. I don't know which I like better, but who cares, it's all good!:D

Also Fleshgod Apocalypse is not liked by every metal head. There are long running experienced metal heads that just don't get what they are doing. The fact that only some people like them, makes it all the more cool? IMO

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #24,759 of 29,660
King is such a production and entertainment in music, though we must not forget that the band still has a super large fanbase which like the first albums better. That's the great part for a new listener they can hear our 2016 Fleshgod Apocalypse the get into the old albums and EPs later. I don't know which I like better, but who cares, it's all good!
biggrin.gif

Yea, it is a solid album for me. How is the recording quality from their previous releases? Is the King the most refine album from FA?

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #24,760 of 29,660
Yea, it is a solid album for me. How is the recording quality from their previous releases? Is the King the most refine album from FA?

2013's Labyrinth is a compressed mess, a mess. Though the albums before are not recorded that well, but they have a rawness that seems to work for me. It's not audiophile metal, but all the musicianship raises the bar as a whole?

But ya, King is better for them, Labyrinth is like wanting to see something but wearing foggy glasses, that don't quite let you see out. It was a loudness wars bombshell when it hit. Lol. People wanted it remastered even?

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #24,761 of 29,660
Oracles and Agony are a slightly different style being tech-death. But they made a splash just because they sound so different though the production also sucks. It's a judgement call as some just like the old albums, though they never sounded that good, I liked them anyway. Not only is Labrynth a bad recording it's strangely chaotic with no focus or goal. A few FA groupies like it, though?

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #24,762 of 29,660
  Definitely AOTY material:

40 Watt Sun – The Inside Room

40wattsun.com

Well, except it came out 5 years ago. :p

Their new one just came out though, and I haven't listened to it yet, which I need to rectify.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #24,763 of 29,660
Oracles and Agony are a slightly different style being tech-death. But they made a splash just because they sound so different though the production also sucks. It's a judgement call as some just like the old albums, though they never sounded that good, I liked them anyway. Not only is Labrynth a bad recording it's strangely chaotic with no focus or goal. A few FA groupies like it, though?

Maybe the labyrinth is intentionally recorded in a bad way so it can makes you feel like you are in that labyrinth. I have heard that album before and totally didn't like the chaotic mess diffused brick wall sound. The vocal is also terrible

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #24,764 of 29,660

What do you mean? The orchestra is very much in the background. Oftentimes those instruments are barely audible behind the distorted guitars, whereas when you listen to the orchestral bonus disc, you can hear every acoustic instrument clearly.

just heard the song myself using my ve monk+, I think it is a little diffused at times, I only heard several songs that have a high view count in youtube, definitely need some time to explore this band, I think I'm getting into Symphonic brutal death / brutal death.
right after that, I tried Nile too, and again I like it.

Nile is one of the few brutal/technical death metal bands I've been into since I first got into extreme metal so many years ago.

Also check out Cryptopsy if you don't already know them.

Their older albums are crazier. The songwriting on the newest is more refined, and I guess the production is too.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #24,765 of 29,660

Nile is one of the few brutal/technical death metal bands I've been into since I first got into extreme metal so many years ago.

I saw Nile a few months ago and they put on an excellent performance. I've seen quite a few tech/death metal bands live but Nile blew me away with how heavy they sounded while keeping everything really tight. George is a friggin' machine on drums too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back