Lets Talk Metal
Sep 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #24,361 of 29,662
  Oh soooooorry for not making this very important distinction.

I'd heard of the band, but since they are typically listed as that, I didn't put them on my priority list of melodeath bands to check out. As you know, although melodeath is my favorite, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about it as I am with black metal.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #24,362 of 29,662

IMO, progressive can be applied to anything, like Progressive Rock, Progressive metal even Progressive Trance.

the tone in use by edge of sanity can sound a bit melodic, so maybe can qualify as Progressive Melodic Death Metal. a bit long for a genre name though..

Progressive can be melodic sometime. But when you are playing with odd and inconsistent time signature, IMHO it is progressive.

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #24,363 of 29,662
Surprised I didn't pay much attention to the fact that VI released their debut full-length last year considering that this band has members from Antaeus (one of my top three black metal bands) and Aosoth.

This stuff is top-notch! Think a cross between Aosoth and Deathspell Omega.

(I'm including the tracklist in the stream so you can start from the first track. Not sure why it starts on the seventh.)

De Praestigiis Angelorum by VI

VI is a French black metal trinity, made of current and ex-members of Aosoth and Antaeus. Their debut full-length album, "De Praestigiis Angelorum", bestirs within the characteristic black metal niche developed by the said bands, with the addition of expanded guitar work, choirs and subtle sample parts. VI describes their music as "extreme, devoted black metal with illuminated chaos".

- Featuring INVRI (Aosoth, ex-Antaeus) on guitars and vocals.
- Featuring BST (Aosoth, ex-Antaeus, ex-Aborted) on bass.
- Featuring Blastum (ex-Aosoth, ex-Antaeus, Merrimack) on drums.
- Recorded, mixed and mastered in BST Studio (Antaeus, Hell Militia, Aosoth, Vorkreist).
- Cover artwork by Alexander L. Brown (Leviathan, Stargazer, Bolzer, Darkthrone).
- For fans of Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Aosoth, Ascension, Svartidaudi, Antaeus.

Bonus #1: Here's a free download of the band's debut EP from 2008. (It's not nearly as good, though. The unpleasant production doesn't help, and the nice choirs don't save it either.)

Bonus #2: Antaeus' performance at Wolf Throne Festival in 2013:

Satanic Audio Violence - Live 2013 by ANTAEUS

Bonus #3: Click here for dozens of free album downloads from Debemur Morti Productions' Bandcamp!

Bonus #4: Agonia Records' Bandcamp has tons of awesome music at great prices: just $3 for most of the albums!

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #24,365 of 29,662
Another female-fronted Stoner-Doom-whateveritis band that delivers da goods
biggrin.gif

http://kroh.bandcamp.com/album/altars

Enjoy!

ps: can anyone tell me how to embed those bandcamp/youtube links? I´d really love to make my posts look as amazeballs as the ones from Music Alchemist
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #24,366 of 29,662
ps: can anyone tell me how to embed those bandcamp/youtube links? I´d really love to make my posts look as amazeballs as the ones from Music Alchemist
tongue.gif

bwahaha!
biggrin.gif

For Bandcamp: Just go to the album or track, click Share / Embed (under the artwork), click Embed this album (or track), select the artwork size and options you want, copy the embed code it gives you, then go to your post, click Source, paste the code where you want it, click Source again, and make the final alterations to your post!
normal_smile .gif

For YouTube: Copy the link, click the Insert Video icon (
d62bea9b_InsertVideo.png
) above your post, paste the link, and click Submit. If you want to share an album instead of an individual track, you'll need to find or create a playlist link.

P.S. The HE400i is great! (Noticed you have it.) I actually used the word "amazeballs" to describe it when I first got it. When I heard the HE1000, I thought it was only slightly better. But STAX will probably always be my favorite.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #24,367 of 29,662
Tech-deathheads, a supergroup with Colin Marston, John Longstreth and Jason Keyser just released their first song. AUDIBLE BASS GUITAR. Sounds pretty ******* sick, though the production has an odd reverb to it.

https://www.facebook.com/Origin/videos/10154058464239037/

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #24,368 of 29,662
Question: What the heck is pagan black metal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan_metal

I don't see how "pagan" can be a style. I mean, if it's different lyrics, that's not the musical style...and if it's just folk instruments, that makes it folk black metal.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #24,369 of 29,662
  Tech-deathheads, a supergroup with Colin Marston, John Longstreth and Jason Keyser just released their first song. AUDIBLE BASS GUITAR. Sounds pretty ******* sick, though the production has an odd reverb to it.

https://www.facebook.com/Origin/videos/10154058464239037/

Released their first song? What? Origin has been around for almost 20 years. They released 6 albums so far.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #24,370 of 29,662
  Released their first song? What? Origin has been around for almost 20 years. They released 6 albums so far.

This is Crator, a supergroup with Jason and John from Origin, but they posted the video on Origin's facebook.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #24,371 of 29,662

I don't see how "pagan" can be a style. I mean, if it's different lyrics, that's not the musical style...and if it's just folk instruments, that makes it folk black metal.

It's just like Christian variants of any genre, or say 'Viking Metal' which is just melodeath with lyrics written around Norse mythology and Viking history. Some people just really like to be exact in classifying things I guess.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #24,372 of 29,662

Same like hip hop. Different lyrical themes but the style is almost the same. You got political, gangsta, etc.... hip hop

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #24,373 of 29,662
  It's just like Christian variants of any genre, or say 'Viking Metal' which is just melodeath with lyrics written around Norse mythology and Viking history. Some people just really like to be exact in classifying things I guess.

Same like hip hop. Different lyrical themes but the style is almost the same. You got political, gangsta, etc.... hip hop

Yeah...I don't recognize any of those specific things as musical styles, except perhaps Viking metal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_metal

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #24,374 of 29,662

Yeah...I don't recognize any of those specific things as musical styles, except perhaps Viking metal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_metal

Norse religion is pagan.........

But whatever, it's a pretty pointless argument. Plenty of people just hear metal as metal and don't 'recognize' black, death etc. so you can not recognize it all you want, it still exists.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #24,375 of 29,662
  Norse religion is pagan.........

But whatever, it's a pretty pointless argument. Plenty of people just hear metal as metal and don't 'recognize' black, death etc. so you can not recognize it all you want, it still exists.

Huh? Read the link. I was referring to the musical elements that make Viking metal unique enough to be considered a musical style. The lyrics and themes have no bearing on the musical style. There's no such thing as pagan metal and Christian metal in a stylistic sense, because those ideologies are completely separate from any musical style.

And obviously I recognize black metal and death metal. Any metalhead does, and I hope you didn't think I somehow stopped recognizing them even though I talk about them all the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back