Lets Talk Metal
Dec 12, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #21,466 of 29,685
  I might have to call you out on this one
very_evil_smiley.gif
 I remember you liked it when it first came out. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. I'm listening to it now. It's not great or anything. Yeah, I think you were posting about M and Ghost both of which I was look warm about on first listen. I think you said something about the novelty of Enya style vocals and BM. Fess up! hee-hee.

I remember that talk. I actually commended you on your dislike of the Ghost record and the "M" record. Still that was when "M' made it's first splash and was a new and bewildering animal. After close inspection of both records, Ghost is not as good as previous efforts and "M" is trash.

I do like Enya and even listened to her 2015 release, Dark Sky Island. Enya has to be one of the best Irish inventions, have the Irish really invented anything of use?

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #21,467 of 29,685
  This is awesome 

It is very different and weird. Experamental Progressive Folk Black Death from the AU. They have a 2015 full LP and just put out an EP too.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #21,468 of 29,685

I remember that talk. I actually commended you on your dislike of the Ghost record and the "M" record. Still that was when "M' made it's first splash and was a new and bewildering animal. After close inspection of both records, Ghost is not as good as previous efforts and "M" is trash.

I do like Enya and even listened to her 2015 release, Da

rk Sky Island. Enya has to be one of the best Irish inventions, have the Irish really invented anything of use?

You know I'm just pulling your leg a little
wink_face.gif

I'm part Irish, so I guess I'm a little biased.  I heard the new Enya, too. I actually like Enya as well. She crafted a unique sound that resonates with a lot of people.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #21,469 of 29,685
I do like Enya and even listened to her 2015 release, Dark Sky Island. Enya has to be one of the best Irish inventions, have the Irish really invented anything of use?

I'm part Irish, so I guess I'm a little biased.  I heard the new Enya, too. I actually like Enya as well. She crafted a unique sound that resonates with a lot of people.

I'm another Enya fan, but like Sarah Brightman much more. Her song "Fleurs Du Mal" sounds similar to gothic metal.

Hmm. I have dark red hair, so I wonder if I'm part Irish. hehe

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #21,470 of 29,685

I'm another Enya fan, but like Sarah Brightman much more. Her song "Fleurs Du Mal" sounds similar to gothic metal.

Hmm. I have dark red hair, so I wonder if I'm part Irish. hehe

Then there's Lorena McKennitt. Her music is gorgeous. What a minute. This is a metal thread-we're getting way to soft!

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #21,471 of 29,685
  Then there's Lorena McKennitt. Her music is gorgeous. What a minute. This is a metal thread-we're getting way to soft!

Female metal to the rescue!

http://www.metaladies.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_heavy_metal_singers

(I always wanted to be in a rock/metal band with at least one female member.)

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #21,472 of 29,685
You want female metal? I got u fam

Obscure Sphinx (post/sludge)

Made Out of Babies (post-hardcore/sludge)

Landmine Marathon (death/grind)

Black Math Horseman (stoner)

Nice little sampling. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #21,473 of 29,685
At War With Reality by At The Gates is a straight-up solid melodeath album. (Didn't hear it until tonight.) This is unmistakably their classic style, even after all these years. It's more controlled and less manic now, though, in terms of composition, production, and execution. I'd like a modern release with the energy of Slaughter Of The Soul.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #21,475 of 29,685
  At War With Reality by At The Gates is a straight-up solid melodeath album. (Didn't hear it until tonight.) This is unmistakably their classic style, even after all these years. It's more controlled and less manic now, though, in terms of composition, production, and execution. I'd like a modern release with the energy of Slaughter Of The Soul.

its ok .sots is amazing .red sky is good and twisted.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #21,476 of 29,685
New Abbath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/listen-to-count-the-dead-by-abbath

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #21,477 of 29,685

Interesting album for me in that it seemed to make a lot of buzz when it came out, was on some year end lists but a lot of people found it uninspiring. So much of a collective "meh" that I nearly passed. Who needs another so so melodeth album? I mean with these retro genres be the melodeth, stoner/doom, power metal, OSDM, symphonic BM, prog, whatever, I'm open to most of these categories if it's a particularly good representative of said style. But, I'm not a music collector for the sake of collecting a complete anthology if it's lame. The album for me has to earn it's place in my library and compete w/ listening time.

I finally bought at the end of last year when I saw it on some year end blog lists. I’m in the thumbs up column. I just think it’s a well put together melodeth album with an interesting concept-but I get that it’s not overly daring or original. Still, it’s one of those solid B+ albums for me that’s easy to listen to, kinda like this year’s Maiden, HOF or Ufommamut. Bands that are solid and find ways to do similar albums but still make them interesting. Just not pushing the envelope a whole lot. And, that’s OK in my book.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #21,478 of 29,685
\

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #21,479 of 29,685
^ I picked that up a while back. It is simply too tame for my tastes. Perhaps a grower of I give it time.

Indeed, I did mention that I wish it was more manic and had more energy like Slaughter Of The Soul.

For me, In Flames' '90s albums will always be the best when it comes to melodic death metal.

Interesting album for me in that it seemed to make a lot of buzz when it came out, was on some year end lists but a lot of people found it uninspiring. So much of a collective "meh" that I nearly passed. Who needs another so so melodeth album? I mean with these retro genres be the melodeth, stoner/doom, power metal, OSDM, symphonic BM, prog, whatever, I'm open to most of these categories if it's a particularly good representative of said style. But, I'm not a music collector for the sake of collecting a complete anthology if it's lame. The album for me has to earn it's place in my library and compete w/ listening time.

I finally bought at the end of last year when I saw it on some year end blog lists. I’m in the thumbs up column. I just think it’s a well put together melodeth album with an interesting concept-but I get that it’s not overly daring or original. Still, it’s one of those solid B+ albums for me that’s easy to listen to, kinda like this year’s Maiden, HOF or Ufommamut. Bands that are solid and find ways to do similar albums but still make them interesting. Just not pushing the envelope a whole lot. And, that’s OK in my book.

I pretty much feel the same way. It's nothing new and not even all that phenomenal, but a solid album nonetheless.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #21,480 of 29,685

Lorena gets a pass...

She's SO metal   \m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back