Lets Talk Metal
Jun 19, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #19,502 of 29,655
  But as far as the first song I heard is concerned, I'd say it's pretty easy to get into for anyone into black metal. It's not really that unconventional. But as you know, my tastes are diverse, so perhaps it's just me that finds it easy to get into any type of black metal.

You mean the Dark Funeral one? That's baby's first BM.
You need to listen to the other two to get what I mean. Or not.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #19,505 of 29,655
  Then feel free to ignore my ramblings.

I did like it; but it just didn't make me think it was extreme compared to other black metal. It does sound more serious and obscure than the stereotypical "super hyper blast beat terror shriek insanity riff extreme" BM, but still used conventional song structures, like the strumming of chords, palm muted riffs, etc. I guess it's just the word "extreme" that caused ambiguity here. If you said it was more obscure or avant-garde or whatever, I would agree. The ambient intro was actually the only part I found a little unsettling, but in a good way.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #19,506 of 29,655
New Slayer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=211&v=uivxr3O6rSE

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #19,507 of 29,655
I keep forgetting that I own that new DHG. I'm not sure if that means it's not too great our not. I like it, but it surely didn't blow me away like the new Maladie. This has been a really good year for strange black metal.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #19,508 of 29,655
  I have been a lurker on this thread for quite some time now, and only now have i found the strength and guts to post here.

This is post number 1 for me in Head-Fi! Looking forward to some more and metalheads who can complete my conversion to a headbanging fellow.

Welcome! This is a great thread to find ideas and recommendations. I'm listening to Bosse De Nage on a recent recommendation tonight and the new Marduk. But, there's just way too much metal to hear everything that's come before and everything new. If you follow your muse, you'll find music that speaks to you. I think it's a good idea to listen to the classics when you can to get your sense of the history of metal and where it all came from.

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #19,509 of 29,655
  Welcome! This is a great thread to find ideas and recommendations. I'm listening to Bosse De Nage on a recent recommendation tonight and the new Marduk. But, there's just way too much metal to hear everything that's come before and everything new. If you follow your muse, you'll find music that speaks to you. I think it's a good idea to listen to the classics when you can to get your sense of the history of metal and where it all came from.

Hi mate-I agree way too much music.The classics are essential imho-it saddens me when people neglect the history of genres-i mean when you look really far back into music and look at the people who changed lives and started something different you go into the likes of elvis little richard,hendrix,stones,beatles etc-you then go onto very early thrash and realise that punk influenced that (discharge gbh etc)you then learn of dbeat movements in japan etc.you then discover possessed early entombed etc and then you go off onto other genres like krautrock and discover tangerine dream and kraftwork.what depresses me is people who are closed minded and think that the NEW is where it is at-JESUS PLEASE NO.....................................................

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #19,510 of 29,655
I had to laugh last night-my wife was downstairs arguing with my daughter and my son popped his head around the door.i was trying to fall off to sleep listening to the sound of a waterfall on you tube.he laughed as he had earlier told me off for playing  loud-hardcore dutch gabber dance music.

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #19,511 of 29,655
  You really did pay attention, bravo!
This is my favorite Darkspace track:

Extreme stuff even for Black Metal. Acquired taste :|

i have all of their works but i aint played them much-my wifes on holiday soon so i will have the house-im waiting for the dark nights to play these

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #19,512 of 29,655
I had to laugh last night-my wife was downstairs arguing with my daughter and my son popped his head around the door.i was trying to fall off to sleep listening to the sound of a waterfall on you tube.he laughed as he had earlier told me off for playing  loud-hardcore dutch gabber dance music.

I was listening to Roughneck and Ophidian earlier. Huzzah!

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #19,513 of 29,655

Markm1, try the new Goatsnake out on your fancy streaming device. It may well be right up your alley, riffing like mad
Another fantastic (not metal, but chock full 'o metal dudes) is the night flight orchestra....best 70's kiss-revival album I've heard in eons

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #19,515 of 29,655
Hi mate-I agree way too much music.The classics are essential imho-it saddens me when people neglect the history of genres-i mean when you look really far back into music and look at the people who changed lives and started something different you go into the likes of elvis little richard,hendrix,stones,beatles etc-you then go onto very early thrash and realise that punk influenced that (discharge gbh etc)you then learn of dbeat movements in japan etc.you then discover possessed early entombed etc and then you go off onto other genres like krautrock and discover tangerine dream and kraftwork.what depresses me is people who are closed minded and think that the NEW is where it is at-JESUS PLEASE NO.....................................................

There is a "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" quality at some point in the metal exploration curve. As you ask yourself, "Why is that this way?"

Or your try to figure out why there was certain bands popular at a certain time?

The question is........"What new sub-genres will emerge and will I like them?"

Metal can go anywhere, Metal can become anything. It can absorb influences and start sounding fresh, then go back turning in on itself and become retro sounding or even a parody of itself.

Expected new genres list.....

Soft-core Metal
Game Music Metal
Dub-Step Metal
Synth-Doom Drone Metal
Experimental Crash Metal
Silent Stop Metal
Gabber-Grind
Retro-New Wave Metal
Jungle Metal
Wood Acoustic
Corporate Non-Metal Metal