Lets Talk Metal
Jun 4, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #19,321 of 29,664
You guys are awesome!

BTW, methamphetamine addict here. In August I'lll have 24 years clean. Good metal on great headphones or speakers, WAAAAAY better than any drug I ever took!

:)

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #19,323 of 29,664
You guys are awesome!

BTW, methamphetamine addict here. In August I'lll have 24 years clean. Good metal on great headphones or speakers, WAAAAAY better than any drug I ever took!

smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I wouldn't call myself an addict if I had been clean for over two decades :D

I didn't realize that so many people listened to metal in order to relax or something to that effect. I listen to metal for the ENERGY!

I think I would have stopped listening to Metal years ago if it got me pumped constantly.
And besides, how is something like this supposed to get get you energized?

Can't imagine this sounding all that good if you are on a caffeine trip.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #19,324 of 29,664
I think I would have stopped listening to Metal years ago if it got me pumped constantly. And besides, how is something like this supposed to get get you energized?

Some would say that everything in existence is energy in one form or another. I didn't mean necessarily more energetic metal music; but all metal has a certain energy to it, even if it's murky, monotonous energy from the abyss. I love playing with words!
tongue_smile.gif
But yeah, for caffeine trips and whatnot, more energetic metal is better.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #19,325 of 29,664
You guys are awesome!

smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations, man. That's awesome.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #19,326 of 29,664
I take it you never compose metal music of your own, then. Most metal has a good amount of anger and/or aggression in it. Anyway, I guess I'm just a much more passionate person. I see the value in experiencing all emotions. Righteous anger is a good thing!

Well I did compose for quite a while. I still play but jot time to write. And a good metal riff has nothing much to do with anger. And, same goes with a singer. Don't need to be pissed, just need to know what you want to do with the song, the feel, the atmosphere and then build it.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #19,327 of 29,664
Well I did compose for quite a while. I still play but jot time to write. And a good metal riff has nothing much to do with anger. And, same goes with a singer. Don't need to be pissed, just need to know what you want to do with the song, the feel, the atmosphere and then build it.

Maybe for some metal, but the really extreme stuff requires anger. Otherwise, it's just fake.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #19,328 of 29,664
My take on stuff......

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #19,330 of 29,664
This is an interesting discussion to follow. In my experience, every metal listener that I know is one is also one of the calmest people I know.

Quote:

Maybe for some metal, but the really extreme stuff requires anger. Otherwise, it's just fake.

How do you distinguish the "fake" angry metal from the real stuff?

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #19,331 of 29,664
I'm listening to Death Mask again....

No other metal album in the past few years even touches it for me. I was turned on to Lord Mantis by someone here, so thank you for showing me one of my favorite albums of all time.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #19,332 of 29,664

In my experience, every metal listener that I know is one is also one of the calmest people I know.

And how many of them are black metal musicians? In any case, you can act calm while still feeling extreme emotions. Listening to extreme metal is an outlet for venting frustration. It's no wonder so many metal fans act calm.

How do you distinguish the "fake" angry metal from the real stuff?

When it sounds like pretentious goofy wankery instead of pure majestic hatred. (Well, at least when it comes to extreme black metal.)

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #19,335 of 29,664
I think I would have stopped listening to Metal years ago if it got me pumped constantly.
And besides, how is something like this supposed to get get you energized?

Some would say that everything in existence is energy in one form or another. I didn't mean necessarily more energetic metal music; but all metal has a certain energy to it, even if it's murky, monotonous energy from the abyss. I love playing with words! :tongue_smile: But yeah, for caffeine trips and whatnot, more energetic metal is better.

If you start doing lawyer talk like that (everything has energy) and twisting definitions to suit your argument, there's not much point in discussing any two - sided issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back