Lets Talk Metal
May 12, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #18,646 of 29,660
I personally think graveward is an absolutely reverent hymn to 'don't break the oath'. it is starting to sound a bit the same but sigh has been around for over 20 years and graveward has a focus (IMO) that the amazingly avant garde in somniphobia just didn't have

On another note: I've been streaming the new Faith no More (I'm a massive mike Patton fan) and so far, I don't think it's their weakest album, which after 20 quiet years is impressive!

Yeah-it's good definitely. I think I'm just growing a little weary of Sigh and don't listen to them that much. I love avant garde, but find myself listening to something like the Walker/Sunn Soused album or the weirdness of Swans, etc. more. For anyone who hasn't heard Sigh-you gotta check them out. But there is something sort of campy/cartoonish parody like about their sound which is cool but I just don't return to that much these days. I'm listening right now. It is putting a smile on my face I have to say.

May 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #18,647 of 29,660
  Have been thinking about all this this for a while.
Some random and disjointed thoughts:
  1. I have a feeling that a large portion of users on HF are just technology enthusiasts in the first place and music nerds in the second. For them it's all about the technology and having the best piece of gear for the buck and/or the latest coolest product. The fact that your music also sounds nicer is a nice side-effect to them. A lot of these people also seem to be gung-ho about watches, pens or PC parts. Stuff like that. That's by no means something bad.
  2. I've been to a couple of audio conventions and those of you who also went to one (or even just a bigger hi-fi store) should have noticed that the audiophool community hates everything that is not standard Jazz/Blues, Classical, old-ish Rock and test tones. Apparently. Doesn't seem to have a place in their worldview.
  3. Don't like the term audiophile either.
  4. A high-end speaker/headphone setup should NOT only sound good with one or two genres. It should be able to master everything.
  5. A high-end speaker or headphone should NOT need a ridiculously expensive amp/DAC/CD player to sound good. If your $3k headphone only sounds good when it is hooked up to a $10k amp then the engineers clearly fugged up.
  6. If I can't try a piece of gear with my own music (e.g. some metal) I won't try it (well maybe if it is something super special and rare).
  7. I'm not really in the market for floor standing speakers. I'm all about studio monitors. These things are tuned to sound neutral (for obvious reasons) and thus CAN sound good with anything if you EQ them to your liking. Makes things easier, if you ask me.

Thanks Tom-you're one of my favorite posters and I always enjoy your take on things. I think you're right on. Some really good points in your post here. There definitely is a tech/engineer/IT nerd quality at the meets I've gone to. I feel like a fish out of water, but I always come away learning something.

A high-end speaker or headphone should NOT need a ridiculously expensive amp/DAC/CD player to sound good. If your $3k headphone only sounds good when it is hooked up to a $10k amp then the engineers clearly fugged up.

This is a key point. My sense is a lot of us on the metal thread are solidly middle class/working class and always in metal a lot of young kids right out of HS/college. Unlike some on other threads that invest tens of thousands into systems.

A few years ago spending 1K on HPs would seem insane to me, and now I'm thinking about crossing that mark. But, these guys who have 3 or 4 HPs in that $1-3 thousand rage and multiple DACS/amps that range in $2-5K-bringing like $5-10 K worth of hardware to the meets is stunning to me. I do like listening to their gear though!

In the end it all comes down to budget doesn't it? I remember Moose posted something once along the lines of if I'd spent the money I've spent on music in a stereo I'd have a killer system. And, I had to smile because ain't that the truth. Ultimately, we're here to listen to music!

I'm a little older than most of you, and as a teacher and family guy always trying to put more money into college fund, retirement, savings, home improvements, spending ten thousand dollars on a stereo would probably end in divorce. Stay single, my friends. Just kidding, I love my wife
very_evil_smiley.gif

But with age hopefully comes some increase in income. I've posted this before, but after nearly 50 years of life, I finally saved the money and will probably ultimately have dropped about 5 K on stereo for a listening room. And, that's only because I've turned a recreational hobby into a paid weekend summer job so I can put away 2-4 K a year and it doesn't come from my regular pay.

OTH, the thought of spending that money on HP rig seems out of wack. But to a lot of folks here, I've got the equation backward.

I'm really happy with some moderately priced mini monitors I bought that punch well above their price point IMO that are dynamic for their small size ( 28-32Hz on the low end and 42kHz on the high per company's claims). I've converted a computer room into a listening room that's very small (10x 11ish). My speakers have very specific requirements-small room up against the wall front ported taking advantage of the rooms boundaries (corners, walls) to base load a little like a horn design or Audio Note speakers but LOT cheaper.

Previously, I would have balked at the idea of spending a large sum of money on a DAC, but the heart of my little stereo is the Nuprime DAC h. http://nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/product/dac-headphone-amps/home-audio-dacs/dac-10h

It's been revelatory-just a really resolving DAC with a nice preamp that allows my to access all my digital files, computer audio and old traditional two channel sources like a CDP. It also happens to  have a 4-pin balanced and a standard 6.2mm stereo headphone amplifier outputs w/ gain switch that can utilize IES and able to accommodate up to two dynamic headphones. So this changes my calculus. Now, I find myself in the market for spendier HPs. But I still couldn't justify much over 1K.

It basically took saving for a stereo to get me to think about jumping into the spendy HP game.

Now, I'm thinking, would I want save a couple of years and see what a 3-5 K speakers would sound nice in my little room?  But, that's a lot of kayaking classes and tours to lead! And, I'm pretty content with what I've got happening now. I just look at as a long term investment that I hope to listen to for decades.

May 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #18,648 of 29,660

Director's Cut is great.

I remember going to the library @ maybe 15 years of age on my back, one of the first times I borrowed CDs from there. I got Delirium Cordia, Meshuggah's Catch-33 and Tool's Lateralus. I'm still on this same road.

May 13, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #18,649 of 29,660
Director's Cut is great.

I remember going to the library @ maybe 15 years of age on my back, one of the first times I borrowed CDs from there. I got Delirium Cordia, Meshuggah's Catch-33 and Tool's Lateralus. I'm still on this same road.

There was a time (around 2000) when all these movies came out. Rare strange movies that had great but slightly off soundtracks. Spider Baby is just one of these weird movies which they cover really well in Director's Cut. The drums are complexity fast, the sound is perfect. One of my favorite albums ever. Hearing the renditions after seeing many of the movies was so fun.

In some ways 2001 was a strange time for metal in general. It was a transition time. Megadeth put out Risk, a failure, Hypocrisy made Catch 22 in 2002. Metal was lost in a way. Numetal was big. Director's Cut was one advance also in a weird direction.

May 13, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #18,650 of 29,660
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHfPDRYJaeY

Original Spider Baby with vocals by the late Lon Chaney

Mike Patton vocals. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MgWjcUtp8c

May 13, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #18,651 of 29,660
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tz0FjiS5xaU

Delirium Cordia ends up being one song over 74 minutes long. Record stores were packed to the hilt with copies of the CD though I feel it was very inaccessible.

Some audio effect story about a guy who gets surgery?

May 13, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #18,652 of 29,660
I have recorded on and off beginning in 1981. Frankly now it has never been more easy. When I was poor I only used two cassette recorders and played the first track on one recorder as I put down the second "overdub".

Today any computer is a complete multitrack studio, an IPad is a studio, they even have software to make a simple android smart phone into a recording studio.

Plus, most of the time your limited gear gives you that Kvlt sound! Look at what most Black Metal sounds like. All you need is a guitar, mic and drum machine.

The drum machine is also in the computer. So all you need is a guitar and mic. Just get a book on home recording and mixing.

Been awhile since I've been on here, and was catching up on some conversations (including the religious lyrics conversation which may have been going on the last time I was here, lol). You guys that use the iPad as a recording tool, how do you tame the hiss of distorted guitars? I have an iRig, and usually play through Ampkit or GarageBand, and there's a ton of noise and feedback going on all the time. Do you guys record dry and add the amp models after? Or just have a better interface? I lost interest in recording after I got tired of hearing the squealing every time I stopped playing, and if I could actually write some quality sounding material on that thing, I would be right back into it.

May 13, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #18,653 of 29,660
Been awhile since I've been on here, and was catching up on some conversations (including the religious lyrics conversation which may have been going on the last time I was here, lol). You guys that use the iPad as a recording tool, how do you tame the hiss of distorted guitars? I have an iRig, and usually play through Ampkit or GarageBand, and there's a ton of noise and feedback going on all the time. Do you guys record dry and add the amp models after? Or just have a better interface? I lost interest in recording after I got tired of hearing the squealing every time I stopped playing, and if I could actually write some quality sounding material on that thing, I would be right back into it.

I use a Zoom G3 guitar effects USB PC interface. The trick is to check every preset as some have noise reduction on and some don't. Also you can add it in the chain of effects.

But ha, some effects are full of feed back and hiss. That's Metal!

Zoom G3s are dirt cheap now. Probably find a used on on Craig's list for less than $100.

Don't use an IPad for recording but love the Rebirth program for IPad. Seems like you could find a plug-in to reduce amp distortion noise.

May 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #18,655 of 29,660
In some ways 2001 was a strange time for metal in general. It was a transition time. Megadeth put out Risk, a failure, Hypocrisy made Catch 22 in 2002. Metal was lost in a way. Numetal was big. Director's Cut was one advance also in a weird direction.

That's around the time In Flames switched from melodic death metal to nu metal melodic groove metal. Also when the Resident Evil movie soundtrack came out with some rock/metal bands on it.

Been awhile since I've been on here

I remember you! I think we were talking about metalcore and probably other things, but I don't recall the details.

May 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #18,656 of 29,660

That's around the time In Flames switched from melodic death metal to nu metal melodic groove metal. Also when the Resident Evil movie soundtrack came out with some rock/metal bands on it.

I remember you! I think we were talking about metalcore and probably other things, but I don't recall the details.

OMG I remember that Resident Evil soundtrack and Directors Cut.

Killswitch engage song was on the Resident Evil soundtrack. So long ago :)

May 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #18,658 of 29,660
Got my copy of Monolord in the mail yesterday. I love the sound they got. I agree w/ some of the reviews I read. They nailed the doom sound in terms of production. Clear but really powerful. Great sounding doom record; definitely scratches the doom itch I often get. Sounds great cranked up high.

May 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #18,659 of 29,660

I was actually wondering recently what - if any - great (extreme) metal was released in early/first half of 2000s during the dark days of nu metal?

Back then I focused more on hardcore and the various permutations thereof, so cannot recall exactly whether black/death/doom metal was out of sight due to what was the latest fad selling at record stores or if it went underground by conscious choice until emerging with renewed strength after nu metal was dead, buried and disintegrated.

May 13, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #18,660 of 29,660
  I was actually wondering recently what - if any - great (extreme) metal was released in early/first half of 2000s during the dark days of nu metal?

Back then I focused more on hardcore and the various permutations thereof, so cannot recall exactly whether black/death/doom metal was out of sight due to what was the latest fad selling at record stores or if it went underground by conscious choice until emerging with renewed strength after nu metal was dead, buried and disintegrated.

There is so much great extreme metal from that period. Later tonight, I could go through my hard drives and list some albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back