Lets Talk Metal
May 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #18,618 of 29,644
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he doesn't exist - kaiser soze

The world is evil because it was designed that way. --me
tongue.gif

Well...

I like Lacrimosa quite a lot after trying them for the first time.

A few gothic metal bands I like: Moonspell, Tristania, Lacuna Coil, Cradle Of Filth (which are extreme gothic metal -- sorta a cross between black metal and gothic metal), Nightwish, Lacrimas Profundere, Leaves' Eyes, My Dying Bride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gothic_metal_bands

lol. That link classifies Agathodaimon, Amorphis, Katatonia, The Kovenant, and Rotting Christ as gothic metal. Never thought of those bands as such, especially since some of them are black metal.

May 10, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #18,620 of 29,644
OMG-away for a couple of days, reading these posts and laughing my ass off.

These subjects do come up especially for people just discovering the wacky world of metal.

As usual Ferday, Redcar and Swspiers bring a little sanity.

Good art IMO has always had an element of pushing the envelope, being provocative.  Fundamentalism of any sort is my definition of evil. Racism has no place in my life. But, I'm down with all the nihilists, pagans, atheists, Lucifereans, etc. Disrupt. Then, maybe make this f  _ _ _ed up world a little better.

That said, there's better places for such debate. We shouldn't be debating morals and ethics.

I used to get into these discussions having little tolerance for hatred and bigotry in my personal life.  It's a losing battle.

Extreme metal by definition isn't really designed for "normal" people. It's freak music. It covers so many facets and has so many tangents. It's fascinating stuff. Is anyone really surprised metal will attract some fringe views?

Maybe I'm naïve, but I think most people on this site aren't frothing at the mouth.

We're music lovers. We should really be focusing on music and sound.

I'd much rather spend my time finding good new music and learning more about the technicalities of sound putting systems together that give me the sound I'm looking for.

Speaking of which, I just bough and am slowly digesting

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Guide-High-End-Audio/dp/0978649362/ref=pd_sim_14_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=06KB2FW6Z49FV2RDKKFQ

May 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #18,621 of 29,644
Hear, hear

Now...why is no one (that's you Redcar) talking about the new Sigh?

https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/graveward

It's devastatingly Sigh and a huge nod to a very famous "black metal" album (IMO)

It's not what (or who) you think but it's crazy alright, I'm thinking the resident moose will have the same album in his head after a listen. I'll have to listen a bunch before I decide...but so far so amazing

May 11, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #18,622 of 29,644
Hear, hear

Now...why is no one (that's you Redcar) talking about the new Sigh?

https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/graveward

It's devastatingly Sigh and a huge nod to a very famous "black metal" album (IMO)

It's not what you think but it's crazy alright. I'll have to listen a bunch before I decide...but so far so amazing

If I'm silent it's because I'm still listening to it. I like it but still don't know exactly what it is. I'm into it and confused, I know it's getting good reviews. That said I was having fun guessing what AMG would rate some recent albums. One was a 3.5 one was a 2, both times I was able to guess what he would rate them before seeing the score at the bottom of the page. Exactly 3.5 and exactly 2.
He rates stuff a little tough, I guess.

The 3.5 was Arcturian by Arcturus

The 2 was for Crypt of the Devil by Six Feet Under

Maybe reading his review gave me clues as to his opinion. Still I think Graveward earned only a 3.5. This is stark contrast to his pure 5, yep a 5 he gave to In Somniphobia in 2012!

May 11, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #18,623 of 29,644
I was drawn to black metal by the misanthropy. Humanity has done nothing beficial to anything but themselves. Do I want humans extinct, for the most part, yes. Am I actively trying to make that happen, nope, not at all.

But if you envision the earth as a human body, we are pretty much cancer.

You hit the nail on the ******* head good sir

Mankind is a plague

May 11, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #18,624 of 29,644
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Jarno_Perätalo/44139
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BCucjbLtgP4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBD7pyKlORY

To/Die/For are about to release a new album. Maybe my favorite goth band from 1999. Still after hearing In Black I had to see if they had the original vocalist as his voice has changed so much over the years.

They were better in 1999 I feel?

May 11, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #18,625 of 29,644
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Jarno_Perätalo/44139
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BCucjbLtgP4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBD7pyKlORY

To/Die/For are about to release a new album. Maybe my favorite goth band from 1999. Still after hearing In Black I had to see if they had the original vocalist as his voice has changed so much over the years.

They were better in 1999 I feel?

I listen to their song "immortal love". 

One of the best songs from them, and sincerely, I consider Epilogue album from 2001 the best they done.

May 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #18,626 of 29,644
Not sure why people here avoid disagreements so much? I think music discussion should be more than how it sounds but also how it impacts us personally and as a society. I thought the discussion was interesting at least. I think heated discussions are fine as long as people remain respectful to each other and possess and open mind. Maybe there's a better place for it though.

As many some have already aptly said, metal attracts the extremes in people, so obviously not everyone is going to agree. I think that's fine as long as no one gets personal or hateful. Speaking of hateful, let us all listen to some Funeral Mist.

May 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #18,628 of 29,644
  Not sure why people here avoid disagreements so much? I think music discussion should be more than how it sounds but also how it impacts us personally and as a society. I thought the discussion was interesting at least. I think heated discussions are fine as long as people remain respectful to each other and possess and open mind. Maybe there's a better place for it though.

As many some have already aptly said, metal attracts the extremes in people, so obviously not everyone is going to agree. I think that's fine as long as no one gets personal or hateful. Speaking of hateful, let us all listen to some Funeral Mist.

Agreed.  Metal isn't all Rainbows and Unicorns.

'cept Dio, of course!   \m/

May 11, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #18,629 of 29,644
So, after all the back and forth about music discussion, we all have priorities. Clearly finding and sharing good new music is top priority for me. philosophical bates. OK-can be cool. But, really maybe what some people need is to take a religion or philosophy class.

Beyond finding great metal, having it sound good has become a minor obsession for me.

I mentioned I've been reading a book-"high end" referring to performance not price. Has anyone read this? While it's aimed at two channel audio and home theater, it addresses all aspects of putting together a sound system that apply to HPs just as well.

I've just started and I'm reading a section that takes an exhaustive look at becoming a more informed listener.  Actually, quite interesting to me defining listening values such as tonal balance, perspective, soundstage, detail, dynamics, PRAT and dissection of treble, midrange and bass. How to listen critically, what to listen for, etc. The issue for me, is so much of these terms are discussed within parameters of classical and jazz.

9780978649364_l.jpg

Here's what's on my mind: Grappling with audiophile terms and concepts within rock and metal Most people IMO, may talk a good game of listening to high end sources and audiophile recordings, but honestly don't listen to that much jazz/classical. I do listen to jazz-but honestly a small percent.

Recently when pricing my speaker system components I cam across so many reviews that essentially X out metal. Basically saying that the values of the audiophile listener are incompatible with metal-nuance, soundstage, dynamics, etc. etc.

I've even heard that in higher audio end retail establishments. Things like, "here is a system that sounds really good, but if you're mostly a head banger don't waste your money, because you won't hear the detail, subtlety, nuance". While, I disagree with that kind of negative bias, clearly there is plenty of metal that is recorded in such a way that doesn't always translate well in a highly resolving system.

Of course, most of us listen to a variety of music beyond metal. But, we also listen to metal. So my research is asking more questions than providing answers.

Honestly, I don't like the word audiophile. It has an elitist, arrogant quality to me. Someone that is more interested in gear than music. But it's a word that conveys a certain understanding-someone who has as serious interest in music and listening to music in a way that is much more than merely background music.

Is it possible to put together a true high end sounding system that works well for "audiophile" quality music and serves extreme metal at the same time?

I invite your thoughts.

Ultimately, the answer really has to be yes. But, there are questions-lots of issues of gear and system matching to find the right mix.

No answers for me yet............just lots of questions.

Has anyone heard a $20-50K system that you would describe as being very resolving and musical that also sounded really good with metal? I'm not in that price range, but it's just something on my mind.

Sometimes it's difficult when taking these "high end audio" concepts that one comes across at meets, shows, etc. and reconciling them with the world of rock/metal/punk and aggressive music in general.

May 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #18,630 of 29,644
Isn't there a problem with generalizing in regards to metal. I mean, what "audiophile" system sounds phenomenal with jazz as well that serves extreme metal ? 
I feel this is putting metal in a box because I've heard plenty of classical or jazz that didn't have the greatest quality. And that is, it comes down to the mastering.

In other words, when the source material is right, metal can be as dynamic and nuanced as any other type of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back