Lets Talk Metal
Apr 13, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #18,346 of 29,660

I'm a solo artist at heart and make music for my own satisfaction. What I meant was that I would never release anything unless it was up to my standards. I have tons of crappy demos. How would I realize my vision without having a large budget, when I want the highest recording quality possible and would also have to hire other musicians, including orchestras and choirs? XD

And about your drone album: I only glanced at it and thought you wanted to place thousands of cars in the Grand Canyon. LOL!

Well I wish you luck on making that, this place is probably not helping you retain any savings for it haha

Haha and yes the sight of thousands of Model T cars in the Grand Canyon would also be hilarious, though likely not as musical, but you never know.

Well the second my metal project is done I'll be posting it here for thoughts. I'm doing everything myself so I doubt it'll sound the best but I've always dug the fuzzy, noisy production style of black metal and doom so I'll dig the production, I'm guessing most of you won't 
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #18,347 of 29,660
Enjoying all of your posts. Punk is such an over used and clichéd word. Really what is punk. When we reference punk in metal circles, we're talking hardcore but a lot of young bands that get the punk tag have an almost warm, indie folk vibe. What I used to call alternative rock

]perfectly enjoyable stuff-I would just sort of lump in with Indie rock-in fact I own both of these albums and enjoy them when I just want to keep it chill

As an off topic aside, I lump a lot of the new folk-punk into grunge as the lyrical content has a lot more to do with grunge in my mind (despair and all that fun stuff) and it often uses the quiet-loud-quiet verse/chorus/verse dynamics

The new Courtney Barnett album is a good example (and a great record BTW)

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #18,348 of 29,660
The truth is very few pieces of music come from having everything and all the resources. Art is created with pain. All great art is formed from pain.

Very few bands had much of anything when they started. You maybe had a producer like Malcom McLaren get a group of kids together and form a band like BowWowWow but the kids had talent to begin with. That talent was created with practice.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #18,349 of 29,660
Enjoying all of your posts. Punk is such an over used and clichéd word. Really what is punk. When we reference punk in metal circles, we're talking hardcore but a lot of young bands that get the punk tag have an almost warm, indie folk vibe. What I used to call alternative rock. Stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFp1Q_Z8mM

perfectly enjoyable stuff-I would just sort of lump in with Indie rock-in fact I own both of these albums and enjoy them when I just want to keep it chill, but I don't think any of us would call this hardcore-LOL!

I think indie/alternative like the Violent Femmes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJODSjIbT8

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #18,350 of 29,660
  Well I wish you luck on making that, this place is probably not helping you retain any savings for it haha

Haha and yes the sight of thousands of Model T cars in the Grand Canyon would also be hilarious, though likely not as musical, but you never know.

Well the second my metal project is done I'll be posting it here for thoughts. I'm doing everything myself so I doubt it'll sound the best but I've always dug the fuzzy, noisy production style of black metal and doom so I'll dig the production, I'm guessing most of you won't 
tongue.gif

Ironically, having to raise money to buy expensive headphones will likely serve as a catalyst to being able to afford other things. I should have an HE-400i in a few days. Want to get the HE1000 if I can wing it!

I have no problem with raw recordings; it's just not what I want my own music to be like.

The truth is very few pieces of music come from having everything and all the resources. Art is created with pain. All great art is formed from pain.

Very few bands had much of anything when they started. You maybe had a producer like Malcom McLaren get a group of kids together and form a band like BowWowWow but the kids had talent to begin with. That talent was created with practice.

Yes, but my point is that I create the music in my head over long periods, and indeed going through pain sometimes...but making it sound like it does in my head is a totally different story.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #18,351 of 29,660
Ironically, having to raise money to buy expensive headphones will likely serve as a catalyst to being able to afford other things. I should have an HE-400i in a few days. Want to get the HE1000 if I can wing it!

I have no problem with raw recordings; it's just not what I want my own music to be like.

Yes, but my point is that I create the music in my head over long periods, and indeed going through pain sometimes...but making it sound like it does in my head is a totally different story.

You need to document it any way you can. Even if it seems like a simple sketch. You will surprised how many original ideas are lost. Learn to read and write music. But if you can sing I'm sure there must be an app now to turn your voice into musical notation. I bet there is an iPhone app, just look at what Siri does now?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #18,352 of 29,660
You need to document it any way you can. Even if it seems like a simple sketch. You will surprised how many original ideas are lost. Learn to read and write music. But if you can sing I'm sure there must be an app now to turn your voice into musical notation. I bet there is an iPhone app, just look at what Sari does now?

I have been a musician all my life. I used to read music all the time. Now, I just memorize everything, even when performing. And it would obviously be reckless not to record your ideas. I have digital files, microcassettes, etc. with countless musical ideas in "sketch" form.

I would share a video of me playing an awesome black/death metal song I wrote on guitar, but I'm paranoid about people stealing my ideas.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #18,353 of 29,660
Lol... You don't have to sing, just hum.

http://evolver.fm/2011/08/08/siri-for-songwriting-midi/

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #18,354 of 29,660
The same song I always play on guitar is now more simple. So it was a bigger song when I was 23, in 30 years some of it got lost. Either the song was forgotten and I'm lazy, or I'm streamlining the composition. Which one do you think?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #18,355 of 29,660
The same song I always play on guitar is now more simple. So it was a bigger song when I was 23, in 30 years some of it got lost. Either the song was forgotten and I'm lazy, or I'm streamlining the composition. Which one do you think?

Know what's funny? The main riff in a song that I want to be on the debut album for my main metal project was originally composed when I was 12 years old, and I am still composing the song, piece by piece! (I turn 28 next month.)

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #18,356 of 29,660
As an off topic aside, I lump a lot of the new folk-punk into grunge as the lyrical content has a lot more to do with grunge in my mind (despair and all that fun stuff) and it often uses the quiet-loud-quiet verse/chorus/verse dynamics

The new Courtney Barnett album is a good example (and a great record BTW)

I've seen her name. I'll have to check her out. .

More of a Courtney Love melodic vibe, but I thought White Lung's album last year was tons of fun. It's just kind of pop and rock and roll with a charismatic front woman but I dig this kind of fluff when I feel like taking a break from worshipping Satan
biggrin.gif

Yes, this is a metal thread.....No more, I promise

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #18,357 of 29,660

I'd like to think you are going back to basics. With experience, you know which parts aren't really needed
jecklinsmile.gif

Please, someone, tell Tuomas from Nightwish to look at Redcarmoose's process. The new record didn't speak to me personally at all. Tuomas doesn't have 30 years between records to spare though.

I'd much rather listen to this

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #18,359 of 29,660
  I'd like to think you are going back to basics. With experience, you know which parts aren't really needed
jecklinsmile.gif

Please, someone, tell Tuomas from Nightwish to look at Redcarmoose's process. The new record didn't speak to me personally at all. Tuomas doesn't have 30 years between records to spare though.

I'd much rather listen to this

Is that Anneke from the Gathering?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #18,360 of 29,660

Users who are viewing this thread

Back