Lets Talk Metal
Apr 4, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #18,226 of 29,662
I wouldn't classify BTBAM as Metalcore. Only thing it has in common with that genre are the vocals.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #18,227 of 29,662
Now that new Between the Buried and Me song is up on youtube, Im digging it, can't wait for the new album

This song was pretty godlike. I am expecting another great one from them. And I think i would classify them as prog metal over metalcore

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #18,229 of 29,662
This song was pretty godlike. I am expecting another great one from them. And I think i would classify them as prog metal over metalcore

+1
They sound more and more like some wild mix of Dream Theater and The Mars Volta with some Metalcore-ish vocals thrown in.

I'm excited. I haven't liked any of their CDs all that much till the most recent one came out though. But I really liked the parallax II: the future sequence.

I like all of their albums. Can't really pick a favorite.
My favorite song though, is definitely Swim To The Moon.
Damn masterpiece.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #18,230 of 29,662
One of the things I hate is that Metalcore gets overlooked because all the scene bands that have the skills of a good teenage band that plays in their garage. Theres A LOT of good core bands, like Sylosis, Killswitch Engage, Miss May I (first 2 albums, their vocalist's voice got weaker throughout his career, while everything else in the band improved.), Trivium, Breakdown Of Sanity (They use some electronica, but they're kinda light on it and its not often. Vocals are nice however), and many more I have yet to discover. But the terrible, mediocre bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Black Veil Brides, and Pierce The Veil get the spotlight for some strange reason.

Zao is my favorite metalcore band. (Self-Titled) and Liberate Te Ex Inferis are highly recommended albums. It kinda sucks that Metal Archives refuses to list them, despite them being one of the most important metal bands, at least for me. "If These Scars Could Speak" is the song that got me into more extreme music in 1999, though I didn't get seriously into metal until 2002.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #18,231 of 29,662
The problem IMO is dealing with classifications. A lot of people won't admit to liking metalcore. Like the word audiophile, there are some negative connotations. Alive or Still Breathing is one of my favorite albums and I'm not afraid to say it. I like Converge, Trap Them, and  Black Breath. OTH, you're starting to hear "metallic hardcore". Is that the same thing as metalcore? I have no idea.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #18,232 of 29,662
  The problem IMO is dealing with classifications. A lot of people won't admit to liking metalcore. Like the word audiophile, there are some negative connotations. Alive or Still Breathing is one of my favorite albums and I'm not afraid to say it. I like Converge, Trap Them, and  Black Breath. OTH, you're starting to hear "metallic hardcore". Is that the same thing as metalcore? I have no idea.

I love Converge. You should hear Zao if you haven't already, especially the two albums I mentioned. (Some of them are nowhere near as good as those two.)

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #18,233 of 29,662
+1

They sound more and more like some wild mix of Dream Theater and The Mars Volta with some Metalcore-ish vocals thrown in.

I like all of their albums. Can't really pick a favorite.

My favorite song though, is definitely Swim To The Moon.

Damn masterpiece.

Same, anything from Colors and after is just amazing. Swim to the Moon is definitely a top pick but for me it's Ants of the Sky for best song of theirs.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #18,234 of 29,662
Same, anything from Colors and after is just amazing. Swim to the Moon is definitely a top pick but for me it's Ants of the Sky for best song of theirs.

That is a really beautiful song and I only have one BTBAM album.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #18,235 of 29,662
I'm excited. I haven't liked any of their CDs all that much till the most recent one came out though. But I really liked the parallax II: the future sequence.

Parallax is awesome, definitely prog is my book and I am a self proclaimed prog whore.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #18,237 of 29,662

Mind telling where this came from? I am interested.

So sorry I don't remember. I did see them in a small club in 2005, they sound different live.The file is just sitting in my computer, hence no original CD.

:dragon_face: Found it after a web search. It is a fan recording, only a fan would love.

http://psychocydd.co.uk/details.php?id=465a966372cc7a1909f32755a114b5915e5bb465

cool, thanks

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #18,238 of 29,662

i like a lot of metalcore and even some seriously metalcore (mallcore!).  even Emmure i like (in small doses LOL) but one thing i'll say about metalcore and djent etc. is it's often really catchy and just plain fun, there's nothing wrong with pop hooks even in metal and i can get a pretty good laugh out of teenage angst lyrics.  the ravishing grimness of BM gets tiring after a while ha ha ha the left hand path is a weary one to travel

i've always felt sorry for anyone who discounts an entire genre/sub genre for idiotic reasons.  if you really don't like it then that's totally cool of course.  

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #18,239 of 29,662
  i like a lot of metalcore and even some seriously metalcore (mallcore!).  even Emmure i like (in small doses LOL) but one thing i'll say about metalcore and djent etc. is it's often really catchy and just plain fun, there's nothing wrong with pop hooks even in metal and i can get a pretty good laugh out of teenage angst lyrics.  the ravishing grimness of BM gets tiring after a while ha ha ha the left hand path is a weary one to travel

i've always felt sorry for anyone who discounts an entire genre/sub genre for idiotic reasons.  if you really don't like it then that's totally cool of course.  

You would probably like Passenger, an alternative metal / nu metal band with former and current In Flames members.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #18,240 of 29,662
Just picked up two pairs of sub $100 headphones. The IEMs are the aJAYS Two and the on ears are the Urbanears Zinken DJ Headphones. They both are perfect with metal. Both sets get really loud with a portable device and have authority for metal out of a portable. They sound great with an Asgard One or Woo Audio 3 tube amp. Th Woo 3 does good with a ton of IEMs. Still amazingly the HD 600, the HD 650 and these Urbanears Zinken Headphone are the only three sets of headphone that go with that tube amp.

Review on the aJAYS here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/510466/review-a-jays-two-a-jays-three-and-t-jays-two-the-budget-invasion

aJAYS respond good to portable amps but the Zinkens like to be a straight device out responder. Both headphones are pretty flat as they both are able to zero in on the sonic attributes of the Asgard and Woo 3. Woo 3 ends up being buttery smooth and is a little more warm with the Zinkens. After warming up for an hour the Zinkens have no harsh peaks and can be listened to for hours with the Woo. The Asgard on the other hand is more flat and removed of any color. Both headphones show more detail with the Asgard and are generally more clear but slightly less musical, and listenable, but still a joy to listen to with either amp.

No review at all on the Zinken headphones at Head-Fi. The Zinkens came out in 2012, so it may be time for me to write a review. They are the best and most versatile sub-$100 I have found.

Both headphones share the same sound signature. Slightly on the dark side with a touch of warmth. They are both super efficient and seem strong as heck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back