Lets Talk Metal
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #18,197 of 29,661
  It takes a lot for me to to really dig a death metal album...

Dito.
I like a lot of Tech or Prog Death Metal bands, but I really can't get into "normal" DM.
All the fan favorites like Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Boltthrower, Enslaved, Bloodbath, Autopsy etc etc are just not my thing.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #18,198 of 29,661
  Dito.
I like a lot of Tech or Prog Death Metal bands, but I really can't get into "normal" DM.
All the fan favorites like Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Boltthrower, Enslaved, Bloodbath, Autopsy etc etc are just not my thing.

I'm assuming you're not referring to the most popular band named Enslaved, which are progressive black/viking metal.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty picky with death metal as well.

Who else likes Behemoth? =D

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #18,199 of 29,661
  Dito.

Tech can be tough for me as so many bands seem to focus on technicality over their songwriting too much. But when a band does Tech-Death right, it sounds incredible.

Generally not a big normal DM guy either but I do love Bloodbath. The other big players aren't bad in my book, it's just really not my thing so the the music gets monotonous to me. But Bloodbath is probably the only DM I really want to see live. Maybe I'm just scarred from the Meshuggah/Baroness/Decapitated show I went to a few years ago. I have a friend who works at First Ave. and got me on the list but I had to go alone. Well during the Decapitated set I could not escape getting whipped in the face with someone's sweaty dreadlocks. I'm all for getting physical at shows but I just don't want seat hair in myface/obstructing my view. That show had a weird lineup for how big the bands were. Everyone hated Baroness but their set was much more memorable than Decapitated.

Has anyone else seen Meshuggah live recently? I saw them 2-3 ago when their last album dropped, that set was insane, one of my favorite live shows due to just the sheer energy and spectacle of it all. Their lighting setup is unreal. So are their playing chops.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #18,200 of 29,661

I'm assuming you're not referring to the most popular band named Enslaved, which are progressive black/viking metal.

I meant Entombed.

Tech can be tough for me as so many bands seem to focus on technicality over their songwriting too much. But when a band does Tech-Death right, it sounds incredible.

Has anyone else seen Meshuggah live recently? I saw them 2-3 ago when their last album dropped, that set was insane, one of my favorite live shows due to just the sheer energy and spectacle of it all. Their lighting setup is unreal. So are their playing chops.

Oh I know what you mean. We got so so many new Tech bands recently and like 90% of them seem like huge posers to me who just want to show of their sick guitar wancking skills.

I saw them once at Wacken like five or six years ago. Don't like them all that much.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #18,203 of 29,661
  New Kamelot

Has anything come near The Black Halo? I listen to just a handful of PM, but the BH is an amazing album to me.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #18,204 of 29,661
  I meant Entombed.

Oh I know what you mean. We got so so many new Tech bands recently and like 90% of them seem like huge posers to me who just want to show of their sick guitar wancking skills.

I saw them once at Wacken like five or six years ago. Don't like them all that much.

I think a dark venue is the way to see them and fully appreciate how the lighting is perfectly in sync with the music. Don't really listen to them that much anymore, the whole djent thing got old pretty quick for me. I'd catch them live again in a heartbeat though.

In other news, I'm going to see Electric Wizard in six days, and it still hasn't really hit me, never thought I'd have a chance to see them in Minneapolis.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #18,205 of 29,661
So, I had an old computer with all my ITunes stuff that pretty much crashed and I got a new laptop over the holidays. I've slowly been ripping CDs-not everything-mostly metal-some rock-it's become my sort of desert island or my essentials list. Problem is, I'm not a good editor and it's growing and growing-about 4,000 songs now I think.

But it's been a great exercise in reminding myself of music I have neglected. I'm going back as I rip and saying, Oh yeah, that CD-I need to listen to that one again.

I listened to Arsis last night. I've never been a big tech death guy, but I have a handful of CDS in the genre. Even though I generally like the grimier doomier nastier side of DM, for some odd reason I really like this album. Catchier than heavy. I still say, it's kind of Budweiser DM light and lacks a certain heft, BUT in fairness it is really melodic as all hell and a really enjoyable catchy DM album given my tastes right now. The production sounds pretty good-I have no idea what the DR is, but on my system it is definitely recorded far away from the metal low fi ghetto. I think for this style, they nail it. Whether you like the style is a different question. Maybe satisfies a certain melodeth itch.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #18,206 of 29,661

In other news, I'm going to see Electric Wizard in six days, and it still hasn't really hit me, never thought I'd have a chance to see them in Minneapolis.

You sir suck! I could see Electric Wizard in San Francisco, but tickets are up to $250 now. No way in hell would I pay that, ever...

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #18,210 of 29,661
  The only Electric Wizard album I have is Dopethrone. Should I get the rest of their discography eventually?

I'd recommend at least adding Come My Fanatics, Let Us Prey and their Supercoven EP to your collection. Their other releases are solid and certainly worth listening to but not as essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back