Lets Talk Metal
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #17,476 of 29,653
Ha ha digital dust....it's so true. It's a byproduct of a large collection I suppose. There are many "classic" albums that I just don't click with, but how can one collect and not have the classics? At least CD's/digital downloads are affordable...spending a lot of time and / or $$$ to find a good condition vinyl of some of the older records only to not really like them....ugh

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #17,477 of 29,653
  Oh they have a new album in the works? Sweet!
They are like a more pagan less black version of Moonsorrow.

Yeah!  This is title track from their new disc, which drops . . . um, oh holy ****!  According to what I'm reading at Metal-Archives, tomorrow!

Originally Posted by ferday /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ha ha digital dust....it's so true. It's a byproduct of a large collection I suppose. There are many "classic" albums that I just don't click with, but how can one collect and not have the classics? At least CD's/digital downloads are affordable...spending a lot of time and / or $$$ to find a good condition vinyl of some of the older records only to not really like them....ugh

Personally, I don't see the point in buying obscure releases on vinyl or cassettes.  I buy everything in MP3/AAC from Amazon and iTunes, then use a phenomenal Russian torrent site to download lossless copies of the material I've already paid for—and only the material I've already paid for.  I neither steal music nor condone piracy in any form.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #17,478 of 29,653
  Therion is a bit hit-or-miss with me but I've loved Tristania since the moment I first heard "Libre," from Ashes.  Vibeke Stene remains one of my favorite female singers to this day and I'd place "Angina" in my all-time top 10 songs list without a moment's hesitation.  I love good female-fronted symphonic/gothic metal but there's an awful lot of it that ends up derivative and uninspired or poppy and mainstream.

I know what you mean about Therion. They have a handful of albums that I really like. It's so hard to keep the quality up album after album. I haven't listened to them in a while, so I thought I'd look up their discography.

They had a string of albums from Vovin in 98 which I thought solidfied their opera meets iron maiden sound and then continued thorugh what I thought was their masterwork-Lemuria/Sirius B in 2004. Such an ambitious album. After that, Gothic Kaballah was the last album I listened to. They seemed to be getting away from operatic vocals into more of a traditional metal sound. I agree Tristania is terrific. Once Stene left, I thought their sound suffererd. Funny how that works, er, uh, Nightwish.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #17,479 of 29,653
Thank-you Tom Yum Goong.

Some of the best new music I have learned about in this thread in a long long time? Just fantastic. Caused me to break out a listen in my main system, have a big breakfast and play it over and over again. Great lead guitar at the 3.55 mark. Love the ending at 30 seconds till the end. I thought it was going to be cheesy battle metal upon first listen only to be surprised.

THX again.

The Symphonic Black Metal genre has seen very little progress, with so many bands putting-out dumb renditions of Dimmu or a parody of themselves. This is powerful and fresh. Amazing how fresh!

Christmas came late this year!:christmas_tree::blush:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_WLbjFmNxY
This may be the album we were waiting for when..........Fleshgod Apocalypse returned in 2013. Their last album was a let down in how it was produced, the songwriting and imagination of music style.

This trumps Dimmu and FA is one large swoop!

Heathen!!! Labyrinth is easily Fleshgod Apocalypse's best record to date :/

I also really enjoyed the recommendation as well though

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #17,480 of 29,653
Heathen!!! Labyrinth is easily Fleshgod Apocalypse's best record to date :/

I also really enjoyed the recommendation as well though

Glad you really like it. I will have to give it more goes. I did hear it took a couple listens before sinking in. That is the thing, this new music was instant to get. I think there is something to be said for that quality.

Fleshgod Apocalypse is not for all metalheads. I have played them for Black Metalers and got a big thumbs down.
The same manic theme that makes them great is not appreciated by some?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPOqlrCl1I
New Marduk video

FFUUCCKKIINNGG great!

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #17,482 of 29,653
Glad you really like it. I will have to give it more goes. I did hear it took a couple listens before sinking in. That is the thing, this new music was instant to get. I think there is something to be said for that quality.

Fleshgod Apocalypse is not for all metalheads. I have played them for Black Metalers and got a big thumbs down.
The same manic theme that makes them great is not appreciated by some?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPOqlrCl1I
New Marduk video

FFUUCCKKIINNGG great!

Now that is how I would expect a band called Marduk to sound like

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #17,483 of 29,653
Jan 23, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #17,484 of 29,653
I've been slowly getting in to Marduk over the past couple of years with occasional listens here and there and I enjoyed Frontschwein more than any of the other albums I've listened to.

They are the band to get used to in slow pieces. Taking bites of blackness off the slab of intense Black Metal Food.

I would have liked them more, early, I think if I had started with their modern stuff, but the newest Marduk era 2000 was all that was around. They are fierce and not user friendly upon first listen. That inaccessible wall is what makes them great but difficult at first. They set out to be the most evil, fastest and most intense Black Metal band and I think it was a success?

I gota watch that video again.:blush:

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #17,486 of 29,653
They set out to be the most evil, fastest and most intense Black Metal band and I think it was a success?

I would say yes
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #17,487 of 29,653

Come to think of it, this thread needed a helping of Marduk!

Still have not heard the new album. The song in the video is a perfect blend of much of the music they have done. Sounds like Marduk though is at an understandable pace and not so fast as to go beyond comprehention.

Gotta love it, can't wait to hear the whole album.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #17,488 of 29,653
Marduk separated themselves with their sound very early on. No one is like them to my ears.

The soundtrack to the end-times.

Below is the second song I have heard from the album. I don't know why reviewers say all Marduk sounds the same as I have never heard them make a mid-tempo song like Blond Beast. Satyricon or mid-era Darkthrone sound like this.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCBpC6AX1E4

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #17,489 of 29,653
went through quite a few reviews i had saved from 2014 recently and a standout band, that I'm sure was probably already mentioned here but i might have missed, was a group called Wings Denied, been listening to it a ton recently

can buy the album on band camp here https://wingsdenied.bandcamp.com

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #17,490 of 29,653

Anyone hear this? Any good ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back