Lets Talk Metal
Oct 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #16,846 of 29,660

I know 24/192 is pointless, my Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis in 24/192 still sounds like crap and I'm sure the 24/96 versions of KISS are nearly exactly the same, but I just thought I'd buy the most my DAC can handle, because why not? I do agree with you that it is rather useless, especially since I've lost a good amount of high frequency hearing capability from going to so many death metal shows without earplugs.

Amazing collection! I wish I still had my old KISS CDs from when I was a kid. My favorites were always Alive! II, Destroyer, and Rock And Roll Over. I also agree with your sentiment about Peter Criss, he is to rock what Paul Mazurkiewicz is for death metal. Keeping the rhythm together, keeping it groovy, and not getting flashy. Don't get me wrong, I love some insane drumming ala Arshspire and Alterbeast, but Peter and Paul certainly have their place in their genres.

As far as Ace, my very first concert was the reunion tour in 1996 when he was still with them and it was incredible. I was 10. It was a life changing event that made me crave rock music and then dive head-first into metal. I remember sitting around with old KISS tapes I found in my aunt's basement with old Sony Walkman headphones (the kind that came with them in a kit) and a giant "portable" ancient cassette player. I would rock out with my eyes closed, singing along. I didn't think it could get any better than that. My how I've come along.

Forgot Rock And Roll Over.........great!!!!

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #16,847 of 29,660

I know 24/192 is pointless, my Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis in 24/192 still sounds like crap and I'm sure the 24/96 versions of KISS are nearly exactly the same, but I just thought I'd buy the most my DAC can handle, because why not? I do agree with you that it is rather useless, especially since I've lost a good amount of high frequency hearing capability from going to so many death metal shows without earplugs.

Amazing collection! I wish I still had my old KISS CDs from when I was a kid. My favorites were always Alive! II, Destroyer, and Rock And Roll Over. I also agree with your sentiment about Peter Criss, he is to rock what Paul Mazurkiewicz is for death metal. Keeping the rhythm together, keeping it groovy, and not getting flashy. Don't get me wrong, I love some insane drumming ala Arshspire and Alterbeast, but Peter and Paul certainly have their place in their genres.

As far as Ace, my very first concert was the reunion tour in 1996 when he was still with them and it was incredible. I was 10. It was a life changing event that made me crave rock music and then dive head-first into metal. I remember sitting around with old KISS tapes I found in my aunt's basement with old Sony Walkman headphones (the kind that came with them in a kit) and a giant "portable" ancient cassette player. I would rock out with my eyes closed, singing along. I didn't think it could get any better than that. My how I've come along.

eww you mentioned Miles Davis... if you want you can PM me about that album. I bought SO many masters of it, I finally did find one I really liked 
  I still think HD has headroom, there is just a different sound to it. I can hear a difference even if not played back with a full 24/96 DAC. Still everyone should be respected for their own opinion on HD music. In many ways it's the same old, lets sell everyone a new copy of the music they own and love because they purchased it on LP, tape, CD and remaster.LOL

I started damaging my ears playing in bands and standing close to amps and PAs, so my hearing is really thrashed. I can still hear OK though. A lifetime of loud is not going to go unscathed. It's like a liver, it can take a beating just not beat to death. Cheers!

I know I'm just pickin on him a little bit ;3 

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #16,848 of 29,660
  2. KISS on HD Tracks! I know it isn't metal, but they're one of my favorite bands and they influenced a lot of early metal like Slayer. They released almost every album in 24/96 and 24/192. I bought Double Platinum in 24/192 and it sounds amaaaaaazing. Feels like Peter Criss is right next to my head with my LCD-2. It is like reliving my childhood. Gonna pick up Alive! II next. Stoked.

I'm really hoping the trend continues with metal. It looks like a few labels are starting to take notice of metalhead audiophiles. I don't think Earache or labels like them are going to do anything soon and I wish labels like Profound Lore and Unique Leader had the capability of doing high res releases, but I doubt they're going to care about it or have the resources any time soon.

The thing I wonder about is the old early KISS is really not audiophile sounding in any way. I would wonder how 24/96 would do it any justice, as you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear?

I remember having an audiophile friend take KISS records and try to do vinyl rips with VPI Hotrod turntable a 20K Clearaudio phonograph cartridge and an Einstein pho-pre. Everything was digitized with a custom made DAC, but in the end it still sounded crap? I don't remember ever thinking KISS was that great sounding until maybe Lick It Up and later?

I know you think that Double Platinum sounds great, the difference is though.........does it sound great in comparison to what you have and have heard or does it sound great in comparison to all music recorded in the genre at the time?

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #16,849 of 29,660

I know you think that Double Platinum sounds great, the difference is though.........does it sound great in comparison to what you have and have heard or does it sound great in comparison to all music recorded in the genre at the time?

I think it sounds far better than the original vinyl or the 90's remaster CD that I had. I haven't listened to either in years, but the realism is increased quite a bit on the HD version. It sounds more alive and separated. I never listened to KISS on anything that could reproduce a soundstage until recently, but that is all there as well.

As far as in comparison to music recorded at the time, that is up in the air. I really don't know. I'd have to have something to compare it to and all I've got is my memory of what I heard when I was a kid. The only other albums from that time period that I really remember are Ozzy's Ultimate Sin and Tribute and I don't think it sounds any better than those two, but Tribute was always one of my favorite albums back then.

As far as KISS's sound on Lick It Up and beyond, I never listened to any albums after Unmasked more than a few times. Its too poppy and catchy, although it does sound cleaner. I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #16,851 of 29,660
  New Ne Oblivistreamis album stream : http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/10/29/ne-oblivistreamis-listen-citadel-full-right-now/

I already listened through the whole thing like ten times.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #16,852 of 29,660

I think it sounds far better than the original vinyl or the 90's remaster CD that I had. I haven't listened to either in years, but the realism is increased quite a bit on the HD version. It sounds more alive and separated. I never listened to KISS on anything that could reproduce a soundstage until recently, but that is all there as well.

As far as in comparison to music recorded at the time, that is up in the air. I really don't know. I'd have to have something to compare it to and all I've got is my memory of what I heard when I was a kid. The only other albums from that time period that I really remember are Ozzy's Ultimate Sin and Tribute and I don't think it sounds any better than those two, but Tribute was always one of my favorite albums back then.

As far as KISS's sound on Lick It Up and beyond, I never listened to any albums after Unmasked more than a few times. Its too poppy and catchy, although it does sound cleaner. I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

We have all gone down the rabbit hole looking for better SQ. LOL

out a day or so ago!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kiss-to-release-deluxe-love-gun-reissue-this-month/

And just a story about the KISS tracks will have me checken em out.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #16,853 of 29,660
 We have all gone down the rabbit hole looking for better SQ. LOL

And just a story about the KISS tracks will have me checken em out.

Interesting, just over at HD tracks, shows that they have most all except Psycho Circus, Music From The Elder, Creatures Of The Night and Unmasked.

Maybe they are on their way? I understand if they never do The Elder as it was a commercial flop. It was KISS doing Floyd's "The Wall" and Unmasked was the worst. Still maybe Creatures was not a good seller either? So this may be all we see.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #16,855 of 29,660
Quote:
Maybe their worse sounding record to date. And it really does effect my enjoyment of this record (there is so much bleed through between songs, it's kinda monotonous).

I know folks are going to hate the sound of it. Still it was something I connected with. The crappy guitar some how does not fight or over power the industrial sound of the drums. It's like industrial with some edgy electronics and black metal melody vocals which are clean at times.

I like it but I also listen to Aborym's Dirty all the time?

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #16,856 of 29,660
KISS has been re-releasing all their albums on 180g vinyl since March (?) - I have read the remastering on the vinyl is very good so I picked up Hotter than Hell and Destroyer yesterday (just need a turntable to play them on).

I have always enjoyed listening to KISS - but as musicians they are mediocre. As a band, they work - great tunes and a great live show. Ace was OK, but I just can't even put him in the same conversation as Rhoads, SRV, Satriani - those are great guitar players IMHO. I still enjoy all the music up to Dynasty and most of the 80's stuff, but I am growing tired of Gene and Paul as people - they really needed to play at the Hall Of Fame with Peter and Ace - put the petty crap aside for one night - and should stop this constant bickering in the press now between themselves. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #16,858 of 29,660
KISS has been re-releasing all their albums on 180g vinyl since March (?) - I have read the remastering on the vinyl is very good so I picked up Hotter than Hell and Destroyer yesterday (just need a turntable to play them on).

I have always enjoyed listening to KISS - but as musicians they are mediocre. As a band, they work - great tunes and a great live show. Ace was OK, but I just can't even put him in the same conversation as Rhoads, SRV, Satriani - those are great guitar players IMHO. I still enjoy all the music up to Dynasty and most of the 80's stuff, but I am growing tired of Gene and Paul as people - they really needed to play at the Hall Of Fame with Peter and Ace - put the petty crap aside for one night - and should stop this constant bickering in the press now between themselves. 

You have to remember Ace was a guitar legend almost 10 years before Randy Rhoads and it was a different era and genre. Just like the rest of KISS music Ace had a style that was stupid simple, and in that is where the magic is.

Just like any great player Ace had his own style, I am just saying, does Richie Blackmore have a super technical style when Deep Purple made the record "Made In Japan"? People thought it was at the time of release but now days, I wonder if the album is looked at as a guitar masterpiece?

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #16,859 of 29,660
A QUESTION FOR THE SPEAKER GUYS.
Hi i had a playlist on and was lying on my bed.My speakers are at the bottom of the bed on stands about 10 ft apart.
A jimi hendrix track came on from axis and i could swear that the drum sound was in the middle of the speakers and not coming out of them .
amazing -well thats jimi for ya or should i say mitch-keep on rocking gang.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #16,860 of 29,660

I like the new vocalist

A QUESTION FOR THE SPEAKER GUYS.
Hi i had a playlist on and was lying on my bed.My speakers are at the bottom of the bed on stands about 10 ft apart.
A jimi hendrix track came on from axis and i could swear that the drum sound was in the middle of the speakers and not coming out of them .
amazing -well thats jimi for ya or should i say mitch-keep on rocking gang.

There are less variables in headphones, but value wise speakers are ideal. 97% of my listening nowadays is through my speaker setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back