Lets Talk Metal
Oct 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #16,831 of 29,665

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #16,832 of 29,665

Too cool for school

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #16,833 of 29,665
new Enthroned is a ripper

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #16,834 of 29,665
Listening to Scott Walker and SunO))....this is going to take some work. Wiiiieeeerd....which isn't always a bad thing.

I don't know much about Walker other than he's experimental....operatic drone? Eh? I'm just not sure....

Wow, thanks markm1!

I've nevr heard of that, and I can't say in first listen I love it but I think I really could. So neat and unusual

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #16,835 of 29,665
Wow, thanks markm1!

I've nevr heard of that, and I can't say in first listen I love it but I think I really could. So neat and unusual

Glad you liked it Ferday. I was thinking of you actually, since I know you're a big SunO)) fan which I am, too. It's growing on me. Black One is still my favorite of their albums although Monoliths and Dimensions is pretty amazing, too.

This Makes me think just a little about the exerimental operatic symphonic metal outfil-Virgin Black. Just a little bit. I think it's the voice.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #16,836 of 29,665
This is going to be awesome

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #16,837 of 29,665

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #16,838 of 29,665
Oh yea... good news! My portable rig with the W1000X is wonderful with Metal! The HM901 added the right mix of body and speed to metal that neither the NFB10ES2 or HM801 could 

So I'm uber happy 

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #16,840 of 29,665

New Psycroptic.. \m/

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #16,841 of 29,665
Two things on HD Tracks:

1. The new Obituary album is out in high res! I can't ******* believe that one! I wish I actually liked the record, but it is just stale to me. The vocals are really lacking and the drums sound absolutely awful. I don't know how they thought that over simplistic sound was a good thing. I really want to like it, but I can't.

2. KISS on HD Tracks! I know it isn't metal, but they're one of my favorite bands and they influenced a lot of early metal like Slayer. They released almost every album in 24/96 and 24/192. I bought Double Platinum in 24/192 and it sounds amaaaaaazing. Feels like Peter Criss is right next to my head with my LCD-2. It is like reliving my childhood. Gonna pick up Alive! II next. Stoked.

I'm really hoping the trend continues with metal. It looks like a few labels are starting to take notice of metalhead audiophiles. I don't think Earache or labels like them are going to do anything soon and I wish labels like Profound Lore and Unique Leader had the capability of doing high res releases, but I doubt they're going to care about it or have the resources any time soon.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #16,842 of 29,665
  Two things on HD Tracks:

1. The new Obituary album is out in high res! I can't ******* believe that one! I wish I actually liked the record, but it is just stale to me. The vocals are really lacking and the drums sound absolutely awful. I don't know how they thought that over simplistic sound was a good thing. I really want to like it, but I can't.

2. KISS on HD Tracks! I know it isn't metal, but they're one of my favorite bands and they influenced a lot of early metal like Slayer. They released almost every album in 24/96 and 24/192. I bought Double Platinum in 24/192 and it sounds amaaaaaazing. Feels like Peter Criss is right next to my head with my LCD-2. It is like reliving my childhood. Gonna pick up Alive! II next. Stoked.

I'm really hoping the trend continues with metal. It looks like a few labels are starting to take notice of metalhead audiophiles. I don't think Earache or labels like them are going to do anything soon and I wish labels like Profound Lore and Unique Leader had the capability of doing high res releases, but I doubt they're going to care about it or have the resources any time soon.

*will not talk about 24/192 being pointless* *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless* *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless* *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless*

OK xD hey man I'm glad though that your enjoying the new tunes, I had the LCD 2F for a little while it was REALLY great for Vocals! It made screamo some what enjoyable to my ears! 

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #16,843 of 29,665
  Two things on HD Tracks:

The differences are big when they remix the remaster. Kiss Resurrected is great in 24/96 I own that. Also all Black Sabbath and Zeppelin. The Zeppelin is remixed too as far as I can hear. That's a great one, where it says it is remastered but it is remixed? LOL

I'm a huge KISS fan, I have everything repressed in 2000 on vinyl, the original vinyl and the CD remasters. Still there are huge collections out there, mine is not. I also love the Kissology DVD set, One Two and Three.My favorites are KISS one from 73, Dressed To Kill, Hotter Than Hell, Alive One, Two, Destroyer, Destroyer Resurrected, The Elder and Dynasty.

Peter Criss is not fully understood in the rock world. He was low key and non-flashy as a drummer, a calm worker who just stayed moving along in simple form. Not flash like many from the day. The striped down true groove is what I have always liked about his style.Clean!

Their new guitar players have never been the same as Ace. They are 80% there.Tommy Thayer is like an Ace robot, playing his old stuff with very little feeling. IMO. Still great, as I have seen em live.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #16,844 of 29,665
  *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless* *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless* *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless* *will not talk about 24/192 being pointless*

OK xD hey man I'm glad though that your enjoying the new tunes, I had the LCD 2F for a little while it was REALLY great for Vocals! It made screamo some what enjoyable to my ears! 

I know 24/192 is pointless, my Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis in 24/192 still sounds like crap and I'm sure the 24/96 versions of KISS are nearly exactly the same, but I just thought I'd buy the most my DAC can handle, because why not? I do agree with you that it is rather useless, especially since I've lost a good amount of high frequency hearing capability from going to so many death metal shows without earplugs.

The differences are big when they remix the remaster. Kiss Resurrected is great in 24/96 I own that. Also all Black Sabbath and Zeppelin. The Zeppelin is remixed too as far as I can hear. That's a great one, where it says it is remastered but it is remixed? LOL

I'm a huge KISS fan, I have everything repressed in 2000 on vinyl, the original vinyl and the CD remasters. Still there are huge collections out there, mine is not. I also love the Kissology DVD set, One Two and Three.My favorites are KISS one from 73, Dressed To Kill, Hotter Than Hell, Alive One, Two, Destroyer, Destroyer Resurrected, The Elder and Dynasty.

Peter Criss is not fully understood in the rock world. He was low key and non-flashy as a drummer, a calm worker who just stayed moving along in simple form. Not flash like many from the day. The striped down true groove is what I have always liked about his style.Clean!

Their new guitar players have never been the same as Ace. They are 80% there.Tommy Thayer is like an Ace robot, playing his old stuff with very little feeling. IMO. Still great, as I have seen em live.

Amazing collection! I wish I still had my old KISS CDs from when I was a kid. My favorites were always Alive! II, Destroyer, and Rock And Roll Over. I also agree with your sentiment about Peter Criss, he is to rock what Paul Mazurkiewicz is for death metal. Keeping the rhythm together, keeping it groovy, and not getting flashy. Don't get me wrong, I love some insane drumming ala Arshspire and Alterbeast, but Peter and Paul certainly have their place in their genres.

As far as Ace, my very first concert was the reunion tour in 1996 when he was still with them and it was incredible. I was 10. It was a life changing event that made me crave rock music and then dive head-first into metal. I remember sitting around with old KISS tapes I found in my aunt's basement with old Sony Walkman headphones (the kind that came with them in a kit) and a giant "portable" ancient cassette player. I would rock out with my eyes closed, singing along. I didn't think it could get any better than that. My how I've come along.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #16,845 of 29,665
I still think HD has headroom, there is just a different sound to it. I can hear a difference even if not played back with a full 24/96 DAC. Still everyone should be respected for their own opinion on HD music. In many ways it's the same old, lets sell everyone a new copy of the music they own and love because they purchased it on LP, tape, CD and remaster.LOL

I started damaging my ears playing in bands and standing close to amps and PAs, so my hearing is really thrashed. I can still hear OK though. A lifetime of loud is not going to go unscathed. It's like a liver, it can take a beating just not beat to death. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back