Lets Talk Metal
Sep 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #16,651 of 29,660
Music searching in the late 1990s was so different. You had the radio, you had concerts, you had some CDs on the cover of magazines. I read this great review of Chaosphere when it came out in1998.

Picked up the CD and it was like What.

I had tolerated most extreme metal but this was in off keys, math time signatures. I tried but did not get it? I wanted to like it but was not ready. In so many ways now the joke is that all their songs sound the same. They even have a YouTube video with whole albums in reverse, still sound the same.

The title track to Obzen has the most complicated drumming I have ever heard. I don't play the drums but it just seems tough. They kind of do it live? Still the album has something else to it.

So you do get it all. A new type of beat your not sick of, obscure lyrics you will never figure out 3/4 of, but when you do it could be deep? The recording quality is good and the band is consistent. Once you understand where they are coming from it starts to get entertaining. I like everything after Catch33 the best, though I know that there are folks into the old stuff.

I delight in weird ****, so I pretty much loved Meshuggah from the get-go.

A few random tracks I like: Sane, Spasm, I, Shed, Combustion, Bleed, The Demon's Name Is Surveillance.

I'm assuming all Meshuggah fans have heard Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #16,652 of 29,660
Nope, have to check that album out.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #16,653 of 29,660
Trap them plays it fairly close to the chest (style wise) but am a fan of the old Entombed vibe, their recent album had plenty of that.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #16,654 of 29,660
Sep 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #16,655 of 29,660
Yes, I purchased my first Meshuggah in 1996 and returned it right after as I could not get into it. They are a band that slowly grows on you the more years you hear them. Their best record is maybe Catch 33, and it's a great gateway record.

Everyone is luke warm in the beginning.

So, I've got an MP3 of Erase, Destroy and  on CD-Obzen and Koloss which I basically like, but kind of like some experimental jazz or classical that maybe I know is good and critics love, I have to make myself listen to it and almost study it. I sort of lump them into proggy death metal-even tho I know they are considered progressive thrash.

What I meant about their vocals, is not that extreme vocals are bad, but that on live recordings some extreme vocalists don't sound like the recordings. Like they can't deliver it live. But that sounded pretty close to the studio sound of the vox.

So technical and mathish like they're from a different planet. Maybe Asperger's or somewhere no the Autism spectrum
bigsmile_face.gif

But such a different listening experience to my go to DM bands that just make me want to bang my head (Jungle Rot, Asphyx, At The Gates/Haunted/Grave/DT/Entombed/Vader/Behemoth)

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #16,656 of 29,660
Nope, have to check that album out.

I was going to say you have to, but you beat me to it.
tongue.gif

Had it since release!!! Sol ****** Within...

This guy knows what's up.
beerchug.gif

So, I've got an MP3 of Erase, Destroy and  on CD-Obzen and Koloss which I basically like, but kind of like some experimental jazz or classical that maybe I know is good and critics love, I have to make myself listen to it and almost study it. I sort of lump them into proggy death metal-even tho I know they are considered progressive thrash.

What I meant about their vocals, is not that extreme vocals are bad, but that on live recordings some extreme vocalists don't sound like the recordings. Like they can't deliver it live. But that sounded pretty close to the studio sound of the vox.

So technical and mathish like they're from a different planet. Maybe Asperger's or somewhere no the Autism spectrum
bigsmile_face.gif

But such a different listening experience to my go to DM bands that just make me want to bang my head (Jungle Rot, Asphyx, At The Gates/Haunted/Grave/DT/Entombed/Vader/Behemoth)

You might like the side project discussed in the other quotes.

P.S. Behemoth is great!

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #16,657 of 29,660

They invented the Djent genre single handed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #16,658 of 29,660
Yes, I purchased my first Meshuggah in 1996 and returned it right after as I could not get into it. They are a band that slowly grows on you the more years you hear them. Their best record is maybe Catch 33, and it's a great gateway record.

Everyone is luke warm in the beginning.

This is scary. How can you be so correct all the time? :D Catch 33 was my first and still my favourite.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #16,659 of 29,660
  This is scary. How can you be so correct all the time? :D Catch 33 was my first and still my favourite.

I remember when I got that album. I was at The Florida Mall in a CD shop. There was an open box lying on the ground. I looked inside, and lo and behold, it was the new Meshuggah album that wasn't supposed to come out until a week or two! (They let me buy it.)

By the way, here is a high quality image of the cover artwork. You can't find it anywhere else on the Internet.

Feel free to download it to tag your files with the art. Just open the original image in a new tab.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #16,661 of 29,660

I remember when I got that album. I was at The Florida Mall in a CD shop. There was an open box lying on the ground. I looked inside, and lo and behold, it was the new Meshuggah album that wasn't supposed to come out until a week or two! (They let me buy it.)

By the way, here is a high quality image of the cover artwork. You can't find it anywhere else on the Internet.

Feel free to download it to tag your files with the art. Just open the original image in a new tab.

Meshuggah and Gojira are both really good live. Almost two years ago, I had mentioned in the same thread that Jens Kidman was one of my favorite vocalist. His growling has this special signatur and it seems so effortless.

When Meshuggah came to Bangalore, I was screaming ' Closed Eyed Visual' but they didnt play this song :frowning2:

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #16,662 of 29,660
Oct 2, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #16,665 of 29,660
Quality is subjective. :wink:

Although I own all their albums, I find it more difficult to get into their older material.

Agreed, IMO they sound as good as ever and they haven't gone soft on us, like, say, In Flames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back