Lets Talk Metal
Jul 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #15,526 of 29,661

Hi-fi implies high-end speaker equipment, so yes. (If you just meant high sound quality, that's another story...)

I understand that some of them are bad value while others are outright scams. It's not like I'm ignoring the affordable alternatives out there.

My priority is to get the best sound available. If something more expensive has a worse sound, you better believe I'll shout it from the rooftops.

I would still like to know the gear you consider to be absolute endgame - and what your personal definition of endgame is. ("Good enough for me" and "the best available" are two opposing meanings, for example.)

"hi-fi" is short for high fidelity. It has nothing to do with cost

If you really want to strive for that last 1% then by all means spend enormous amounts of money (say hi to your brother Bill Koch for me) then so be it

Actually my personal endgame is more along the lines of $5k. $8-10k is 2/3 of the way up the summit, the rest of the way is 130 degree climb. Sure you can pay for it, but why?

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #15,527 of 29,661
  "hi-fi" is short for high fidelity. It has nothing to do with cost

If you really want to strive for that last 1% then by all means spend enormous amounts of money (say hi to your brother Bill Koch for me) then so be it

Actually my personal endgame is more along the lines of $5k. $8-10k is 2/3 of the way up the summit, the rest of the way is 130 degree climb. Sure you can pay for it, but why?

True, but usually when people say hi-fi, they are referring to speakers...which brought us to head-fi to focus on the headphones.

I was just curious what gear you wanted and all. I have nothing against the low-end and mid-fi side of things, for the record. I mean, I'm listening to an iPod and Bose headphones at the moment.

If you want to get a better idea of why people pay the big bucks, read the reviews or listen to the equipment yourself. Just know that the higher-end setups require more intricate configuring to get the best out of them. (In other words, it's possible that you could audition a system and be unimpressed, not realizing that it was improperly set up.)

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #15,529 of 29,661
  Hey, recently released mellow death that doesn't suck!

That is so perfect.

Favorite mellow death bands - go!

Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Children Of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Dimension Zero, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Gardenian, In Flames, Kalmah, Nightrage, Soilwork

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #15,534 of 29,661

I still need to show you some good metalcore. Been a little busy.

Once I make some time, I could also list/share a few of my favorite tracks from those melodic death metal bands.

Looking forward to it. Listening to Dimension Zero now...and really liking it! I have heard and like At The Gates (I do have one album), Children of Bodom, obviously In Flames, and I've heard some Soilwork before that I remember enjoying. Dimension Zero is a new one on me, I like it!

When I mentioned August Burns Red new album, I was thinking in terms of that "mainstream" side of metalcore. In that sense, I still think it's a great standout album in terms of mainstream metalcore. Phinehas is another band that plays that type of mainstream metalcore, but they do it really well.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #15,535 of 29,661
  Looking forward to it. Listening to Dimension Zero now...and really liking it! I have heard and like At The Gates (I do have one album), Children of Bodom, obviously In Flames, and I've heard some Soilwork before that I remember enjoying. Dimension Zero is a new one on me, I like it!

When I mentioned August Burns Red new album, I was thinking in terms of that "mainstream" side of metalcore. In that sense, I still think it's a great standout album in terms of mainstream metalcore. Phinehas is another band that plays that type of mainstream metalcore, but they do it really well.

Check out DZ's complete lineup!
biggrin.gif
All three of their full-length albums are pretty good, but Nightrage's first two are even better.

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #15,538 of 29,661
  Oh haha! No wonder I like it!

Since you like At The Gates, Nightrage's first two albums will be a real treat. (You should recognize who the vocalist is immediately.)

If you don't want to sit through both albums just yet, here are some highlight tracks: Descent Into Chaos, Omen, Being Nothing, The Tremor, Hero, Macabre Apparition

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #15,539 of 29,661
I like the old In Flames and Insomnium albums.
That's about it.
I really wouldn't call Dissection Melo Death btw :|

Another thing for the list, Al!
"True defender of Summit-Fi"
wink_face.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #15,540 of 29,661
  I like the old In Flames and Insomnium albums.
That's about it.
I really wouldn't call Dissection Melo Death btw :|

Another thing for the list, Al!
"True defender of Summit-Fi"
wink_face.gif

Dissection is melodic black metal + melodic death metal. Their old albums emphasize the former while the last album emphasized the latter. I had an autographed first edition copy of that one, which I sold on eBay for hundreds of dollars due to the fact that Jon Nödtveidt committed suicide. Profiting from death and destruction is so black metal!
tongue.gif

...I should coin a new term for equipment in the 5+ figure range. Outer-space-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back