Lets Talk Metal
Jul 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #15,391 of 29,661
I think I need some help. I like metal. I really do. I also occasionally like Indie pop. And once in a blue moon-stupid poppish female vocals. I do have a teenage daughter so I am overexposed to this horrid genre.

I think I may like Babymetal. This is not a good thing.

peanut butter and chocolate? I don't know. I have to thinks one over.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #15,393 of 29,661
The heart wants what the heart wants:) I like metal but I also like hip-hop and stuff like Ween, St. Vincent and Tom Waits. I can't listen to metal all the time. Too boring and doesn't get my creative juices flowing enough.

The new St. Vincent is pretty great. And, she likes metal from what I read. I think she rocks. She killed it fronting Nirvanas tribute at the Rock Hall of Fame awards....oh, I know...no more posts about FXXXXXXX Nirvana!!! I'm done.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #15,394 of 29,661
  I think I need some help. I like metal. I really do. I also occasionally like Indie pop. And once in a blue moon-stupid poppish female vocals. I do have a teenage daughter so I am overexposed to this horrid genre.

I think I may like Babymetal. This is not a good thing.

peanut butter and chocolate? I don't know. I have to thinks one over.

babymetal should literally be banned from this thread. No mentions from here on

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #15,395 of 29,661
The new St. Vincent is pretty great. And, she likes metal from what I read. I think she rocks. She killed it fronting Nirvanas tribute at the Rock Hall of Fame awards....oh, I know...no more posts about FXXXXXXX Nirvana!!! I'm done.
actually I wasn't a fan of her Nirvana performance. But then again I doubt anyone would have impressed me. Cobain can't be duplicated.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #15,396 of 29,661

babymetal should literally be banned from this thread. No mentions from here on

Ha-ha. I'm in a feisty mood. I just wanted to see who would take the bait.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #15,399 of 29,661
Here's a band you may haven not heard before. http://youtu.be/ZMdSQZucGdY

The name Summoner sounded familiar...but I think it's the other band named Summoner that I knew of.

On a related note, Summoning is a unique band that every metalhead should hear.

Fans have nicknamed Summoning "Tolkien metal" for their distinctive style of medieval-inspired keyboard melodies, bombastic programmed drums, and black metal guitars and vocals...but most surprisingly, they actually use J.R.R. Tolkien's poetry as lyrics and even used sound samples from The Lord Of The Rings films.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #15,400 of 29,661
Hey all...so this might be my first post in this thread. I'm not sure what kinds of metal are popular with you guys, but thought I'd stop in and see if anyone has heard the new August Burns Red album yet? It is, imo, absolutely incredible. It's on a whole other level from their past work. The songwriting is just mindblowingly creative.

Check it out - Rescue & Restore by August Burns Red

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #15,401 of 29,661
  Hey all...so this might be my first post in this thread. I'm not sure what kinds of metal are popular with you guys, but thought I'd stop in and see if anyone has heard the new August Burns Red album yet? It is, imo, absolutely incredible. It's on a whole other level from their past work. The songwriting is just mindblowingly creative.

Check it out - Rescue & Restore by August Burns Red

Haven't heard of this band, but they seem similar to Zao. (Probably not as scary-sounding.)

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #15,402 of 29,661
Give the album a shot. They play metalcore, which I know is a generally stale genre right now...I bore far too easily with most of what's being produced now, but this new album by ABR is creative and breathes fresh life into the genre, if I may be so bold to say.

Here's a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OS4Fy_xNw

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #15,403 of 29,661
  Give the album a shot. They play metalcore, which I know is a generally stale genre right now...I bore far too easily with most of what's being produced now, but this new album by ABR is creative and breathes fresh life into the genre, if I may be so bold to say.

Here's a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OS4Fy_xNw

Yeah, this is mainstream-sounding metalcore. I must disagree about the "creative and breathes fresh life into the genre" comment, as I find it to be rather formulaic.

I'll show you some good metalcore songs later... (Just remind me if it's been awhile.)

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #15,404 of 29,661
I never really cared for August Burns Red, even in my christian days. Alchemist mentioned Zao which is unbelievable (and held on a pedestal in the metal-core scene)

metal-core =/= metalcore, yes that sounds stupid but it's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back