Lets Talk Metal
Jun 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #1,321 of 29,663

Quote:
Just listened to Forest Stream's Crown of Winter album earlier and It was AWESOME!!! What a beautiful mix of black/doom metal with some technical riffs and great new age style atmospheres What!!! I Love it so much I called it the best metal album of all time when I heard it \m/

Their earlier album Tears of Mortal Solitude is fantastic as well.  But it is a bit more doom and bit less black if memory serves.

Quote:

B)  Blackwater Park is one of the greatest metal albums of all time

I seriously love every Opeth album and they all get regular listening.  That said, Blackwater Park is far from my favorite.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #1,323 of 29,663

Quote:
I am assuming 88 pages in, someone has already mentioned the following items:

A)  Opeth is one of the greatest metal acts of all times

B)  Blackwater Park is one of the greatest metal albums of all time

Lol, fanboy much? 
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,324 of 29,663
I have to bring up the question made by some membersof if there was any metal band with a lot of Jazz Influence / fusion, due to AAL. SO there is one band with a lot of Jazz that is quite addicting. This band is called Ephel Duath - The Painter's Pallete , album I recommend.

One song from the album. Hope some of you guys like it. I think it is quite nice for a change. Have to listen to more albums from this Italian band.

Apart from that I am also enjoying Meshuggah, which I hadn't heard before, and which I will see Live this summer.

Lykathea Aflame deserves to be mentioned as well. Check their album called Elvenferis. Truly amazing. 

Burst (SWE) - Lazarus Bird is another great Progressive Metal album. 
And finally Canvas Solaris is a nice surprise. The album The Atomized Dream is quite experimental and with a lot of catchy rythms. The Binaural Beat, or Photovoltaic are one of my favorite songs. 

Well, lets see what you people think about my contribution :)

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #1,325 of 29,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I am huge Kamelot fan (seeing them in September).

If you like Kamelot, you have to listen to Conception!

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #1,326 of 29,663
I saw Conception at ProgPower USA in 2005, and I really enjoyed them.  They had a clean sound and very good stage presence.  I haven't heard any recordings by them though.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #1,327 of 29,663
Conception...hmmm have to check them out....I am waiting for my Finnish metal albums (Morrowind and Eluvetie, I am too lazy to check the spelling, and while I was here I bought Pendulum (not metal I know) for S&G's) to arrive from Amazon.

Alright, every Opeth album is fantastic.  But to me, Blackwater Park is their best to date.  Hands down.  I do love Damnation though.  I think Still Life for some reason gets the least "ear-play" right now (I have no idea why).

Are there any Megadeth fans here?   (they are one of the all time greats no matter how you cut Metal)

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #1,328 of 29,663

Quote:
Alright, every Opeth album is fantastic.  But to me, Blackwater Park is their best to date.  Hands down.  I do love Damnation though.  I think Still Life for some reason gets the least "ear-play" right now (I have no idea why).

Are there any Megadeth fans here?   (they are one of the all time greats no matter how you cut Metal)

I think Ghost Reveries is probably my favorite overall. The production is very good, and its just a damn enjoyable listen every time.

My first metal album was Master of Puppets, and after finding out who Dave Mustaine was, I got into Megadeth straight away. I don't really have any interest in Metallica anymore (heard Death Magnetic once, meh) but Megadeth is still one of the greats. Lars likes to make fun of Dave's voice, but he should really be making fun of James. Dave can still sing Peace Sells without embarrassing himself.

Megadeth's output went downhill when Marty tried to turn them into a radio friendly rock band, but starting with Al on The World Needs A Hero, they've been producing proper metal again. Nothing of course will ever live up to the likes of Peace Sells or Rust, but UA in particular is a great record, and Endgame has its moments, though the writing is pretty bad. Megadeth's best work is when they skewer society as opposed to songs like Trust, but there's a big difference between Holy Wars or Hook In Mouth and Endgame's title track. Hopefully he's not out of ideas and the writing will get better.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #1,332 of 29,663

Quote:
I think Ghost Reveries is probably my favorite overall. The production is very good, and its just a damn enjoyable listen every time.

My first metal album was Master of Puppets, and after finding out who Dave Mustaine was, I got into Megadeth straight away. I don't really have any interest in Metallica anymore (heard Death Magnetic once, meh) but Megadeth is still one of the greats. Lars likes to make fun of Dave's voice, but he should really be making fun of James. Dave can still sing Peace Sells without embarrassing himself.

Megadeth's output went downhill when Marty tried to turn them into a radio friendly rock band, but starting with Al on The World Needs A Hero, they've been producing proper metal again. Nothing of course will ever live up to the likes of Peace Sells or Rust, but UA in particular is a great record, and Endgame has its moments, though the writing is pretty bad. Megadeth's best work is when they skewer society as opposed to songs like Trust, but there's a big difference between Holy Wars or Hook In Mouth and Endgame's title track. Hopefully he's not out of ideas and the writing will get better.

Ghost Reveries is one of my favs too.  So again I will repeat, Opeth is one of the greatest heavy metal bands of all time.  If I had to rank the top five, they are in it.

I started with, White Zombie, La Sexorcist Vol. 1.  I fell in love.  Still waiting for Vol. 2....

But you hit it on the head about Metallica and Megadeth.  Metallica was great.  Megadeth sitll is.  That's the bottom line.  Endgame was good, not great.  UA was good not great.  The System Is Down is AWESOME (Scorpion is a prime example of Mustaine is not done yet).

I wouldn't dist Trust too much.  I think that's a solid radio song which every band of their caliber has to deal with (remember when you are signing multi-million contracts, you need to some form of balance).  If you listen to Cryptic Writings as a whole, its a fantastic album.

Btw, no matter what folks say, Peace Sells and RIP are not the best albums.  They maybe the best PURE metal albums.  I just saw 20th anniversary of RIP and though its was awesome (good to see the other Dave back...that's really exciting)....the best Megadeth albums to me are either Countdown (of COURSE) or Youth.

With that said I am seeing them again for the Slayer tour as well.

In any event, if I had to the name the top three heavy metal bands of all time...Megadeth is one of them.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #1,335 of 29,663
I can't get into them (most metal bands). I used to listen to Dream Theater, As Blood Runs Black, Metallica (just the live S&M album), Nightwish, Within Temptation, Before the Dawn, and some other bands but for some reason it just doesn't click with me anymore.
Forgot to mention the only other "metal" band I still listen to is Animals as Leaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why do you only listen to periphery? its good but not worthy of substituting all other metal bands

If you guys can recommend any catchy, melodic stuff that isn't cheesy I'd be glad and definitely would check it out. I've checked out some of the other 'djent' style prog metal bands and couldn't get into them either, like Fellsilent, Vildhjarta, Keith Merrow, Meshuggah, etc. I totally respect those bands and their music, but I just don't enjoy their music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back