Lets Talk Metal
Jan 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #12,841 of 29,666
I still have all three compilations in my cd closet. :) I bought a lot of compilations in the nineties. I'll dig up some more gems. There were a lot of great compilations back then. "Death... is only the beginning." was another good series and don't forget the infamous "Nordic Metal, a tribute to Euronymous". I have that one too. 

Extra credits for anyone that recognizes and still owns an original copy of this classic compilation. This was a major influence on me as a teenager: 

Even though I was an avid tape trader way back, I was late to the black metal party, although I now have a lot of the old stuff it's fun to discover 'classics' like Hecate Enthroned that are new names to me. Compilations are great, I'll have to see if I can track down some of those

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #12,843 of 29,666
By the way, I've been meaning to ask. What sort of cans are everybody using? Open? Closed? IEM?

I listen to Denon ah-d 7000's as my go to headphones. Once in a while I will use Akg k701s, though they really don't work for most stuff.

I use an assortment of IEMs, my latest favorites are the new Apple $35 ear buds they came out with last year.I also love Synheiser IEMs and even old vintage Sony headphones for metal.

The great thing about the Denons is they double as a great cinema experience headphone. I could not think of a better headphone for movies, but haven't tried em all.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #12,844 of 29,666
I really enjoyed metal with my grados 325i open headphones. But got upgraditis and jumped to the he500, both are great with metal Imo.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask. What sort of cans are everybody using? Open? Closed? IEM?

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #12,845 of 29,666
I really enjoyed metal with my grados 325i open headphones. But got upgraditis and jumped to the he500, both are great with metal Imo.

The He 500s on my short list to try!:)

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #12,846 of 29,666
I usually get weird looks when I mention that I listen to extreme metal with my HE-6's, but **** it! :p Very well-rounded cans, if a bit sharp sometimes.

One of my favorite underground black metal bands has recently released a new album. The (one!) guy is extremely talented in the melodies he creates. Think Windir. Some epic melodic black metal put to that classic raw BM sound. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #12,847 of 29,666
The He 500s on my short list to try!
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I usually get weird looks when I mention that I listen to extreme metal with my HE-6's, but **** it! :p Very well-rounded cans, if a bit sharp sometimes.

One of my favorite underground black metal bands has recently released a new album. The (one!) guy is extremely talented in the melodies he creates. Think Windir. Some epic melodic black metal put to that classic raw BM sound. 

Slightly off topic but how do you like the emotiva paired with the HE6's? I originally wanted the HE6s because I thought they would pair perfectly with metal but I didn't have anything that could come close to driving them.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #12,848 of 29,666
I've found I like warmer headphones. I had Grado SR325is, but they are very fatiguing due to the upper mids and highs. I mainly use Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 (newly purchased and I'm liking them so far), and Sennheiser PX 100-ii. The HD600 are at the top of my list, they are great. I'm pretty much done buying headphones, although I will most likely pick up a Project Ember when I get back from my deployment.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #12,849 of 29,666
My very first step down the downward spiral of headfi and really hi fi was the Klipsch Image S4i. I thought at the time for under $100 they were the best option. I've seen them on Amazon from $50-110 depending which version (ss411 or  or more pricey enhanced base/noise canceling). Coming from stock Ipod earbuds and using the Klipsch I found for under $100 they were a dramatic improvement. There are probably others that can tell you where else to spend your $. I've seen some negative reviews on headfi-but I don't listen to them that much anymore preferring speakers.

I have Grado 225i that I pair with Schiit Asgard-2 with my dedicated components. I'm putting my resources into speakers and such. If I were saving a little coin for a "real" step up into headifidom with metal in mind as well as other forms of music and was willing to invest say under $1,000. Here's what I'd go for...this is assuming a first time purchase meaning you don't have HP, DAC/Amp etc. And, also assuming you're looking at dedicated listening to a PC set up or stereo rather than a portable rig.

Hifmian 500 ($700)-yes, it's some significant cash-but this will put you in the audiophile leagues with the big boys...like the popular Audeze LDC-2 that will run you over 1k.
Schiit Magni/Modi stack ($200) which will get you competent DAC/AMP. I heard this combo at a meet on this dude's laptop. For $900-that is a killer entry into serious hifi IMO.

Of course, there are tons of other options out there...more high end DAC/amps, but just looking at price point relative to quality-I think that's a really solid rig. Maybe all you'd ever need....

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #12,850 of 29,666
HD 800s. Best dynamics out there with the right amp, IMO.

Stax 507 is also pretty killer for metal. They're so fast and clean. Of course 009s, but that's a different ball game.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #12,852 of 29,666
Jan 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #12,853 of 29,666

smily_headphones1.gif

Slightly off topic but how do you like the emotiva paired with the HE6's? I originally wanted the HE6s because I thought they would pair perfectly with metal but I didn't have anything that could come close to driving them.

The Emotiva powers them adequately. I haven't tried any true power amps like the endearingly crazy folks in the HE-6 thread, but they definitely sound well-balanced, transparent with the signature tactile and quick presentation. If you're coming from warmer cans, the treble can be a bit much since it's very clean, but then there's always equalization.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #12,854 of 29,666
Does anyone have a copy of Carcass' Reek Of Putrefaction (FDR) on vinyl? I will trade you an unopened copy of Heartwork for it

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #12,855 of 29,666

On the go I use a Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Hifiman RE0 (have a GR07 incoming though). At home either a HD600 (music, open), Teufel Aureol Real (gaming, open) or Brainwavz HM5 (music/gaming, closed). These are the ones I ended up with after trying, buying and selling a gazillion. For example, I didn't like the SR225i (sold my SR60i to get it), DT880 and K701 for metal so sold them all. On the last headphone meet I organised I listened a lot to the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog and loved it for metal, so one of those might be in my future as an upgrade of the HM5. 

Lately I've been listening to my speakers more though. For metal I tried a few affordable, passive speakers and amps and ended up with the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and NAD 3022BE. A very warm, musical and detailed combo with a deep soundstage that's so cheap you're going to believe you stole it. :wink:

EDIT:

Quote:

Not bad! Some tempo chances are a bit sudden though and the whole composition feels a little cut 'n paste. Melodies are great though! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back