Lets Talk Metal
Dec 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #12,560 of 29,660
  3.30 is possibly the best part of any vid i have ever seen-i heard NG when they first came out-a novelty act goblin metal lolz.........

Novelty act or not, having a wide range of themes is one of my favorite things, if not my favorite thing about metal. What other genres sing about vampires, werewolves, norse mythology, videogames, goblins, greek/roman mythology, historical events, and much more. Its nice not to hear about tractors, ex girlfriends, and doing it on the dance floor in every song.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #12,561 of 29,660
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #12,565 of 29,660
Currently rocking out to Cygnus-X1 and if this isn't metal I don't know what is! Rush is the ****!

Glad there's a massive metal thread on this forum - I look forward to scrounging it and finding some good bands I haven't heard before.

I'm really into bands like Watchtower, Death, Cynic, Opeth, Atheist, Rush, Soen, Pestilence (Spheres album specifically), Megadeth, Testament, etc.

My most recent "find" was a black metal band called Burzum.. the one created by that murderous racist neo-nazi guy who isn't cool but his music is for sure! Haven't listened to black metal before but I now know it's worth checking out.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12,566 of 29,660
I'm listening to Illogicist right now... if you like Death you will most likely want to check them out. It's technical death metal with great songwriting and superb musicianship. People usually compare them to Death, but their music is different enough that it's worth checking out.

https://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/the-unconsciousness-of-living

There's plenty of black metal discussion on this thread. Welcome! :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #12,567 of 29,660
For those who still buy cds, where is the cheapest place to do so? Right now I am using a combination of gohastings, ebay, half, and amazon (which rarely happens as they are quite expensive). I want to see if I can find a few albums that are cheaper than $8-10 used that these places are offering. I generally do not pay more than $5 for a used cd unless its something I know I like. Maybe I am just being too stingy.

Either way I have been very impatient lately waiting for my wintersun, children of bodom, Amon Amarth, and In flames cds. Its only been 1 or 2 days but I have been really in the mood to kick back, and blast some metal right now, and youtube is not cutting it quality wise. 

Also what are some Melodeath or melodeath style bands that you guys recommend? I tend to like a bit more modern stuff the best like The Black Dahlia Murder is my favorite metal band so far(which their exact subgenre is not fully agreed upon), and a few other cds I own right now are inflames, children of bodom, lamb of god, Wintersun, Amon Amarth, impending doom, and whitchapel. I understand most of those are different subgenres, but they have a similar sound. I also have some Metalcore stuff I am growing out of. Right now I have been looking into Dark Tranquility, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Ensiferum. I have looked into carcass, cannibal corpse, and a few others that I did not particularly enjoy. What good bands am I overlooking? I am trying to expand my metal horizons a bit (which is quite fun).

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #12,569 of 29,660
  looking into Dark Tranquility, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Ensiferum. I have looked into carcass, cannibal corpse, and a few others that I did not particularly enjoy. What good bands am I overlooking? I am trying to expand my metal horizons a bit (which is quite fun).

I would recommend the first 2 ensiferum cds-amazing-dont bother with the rest-the singer of wintersun sang on these cds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back