Lets Talk Metal
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #11,386 of 29,666
Actually, pretty nice. Listened to "Desolate" and "Forsaken" (before you fixed the second link) and I liked them. Probably the second one was better, because it had more varied vocals (I may be spoilt by Atilla from Mayhem. His vocals were kinda theatrical even and not your usual Black Metal growls/shrieks). Strangely, I could see myself getting the CD depending on the price.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #11,387 of 29,666
Yea, I heard "Desolate" and it was pretty darn good. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #11,388 of 29,666
I have been listening to them for a while. Finally decided to grab A Forlorn Throne. It was about $22 usd total. It's coming from the Netherlands and they're not a big-label band so it's more than I would normally pay.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #11,389 of 29,666
I have been listening to Vertikal II for the past two weeks. It's really good.

+1 on that. I think that's my favorite album of the year. Albeit I haven't heard that much new metal this year. Still, it's so good, I have to be careful to not listen to it too much so I don't get sick of it.

I should probably be kicked off this thread as I've been digging the new Dylan and NIN last 24 hours....
smile.gif

Although I want to check out some of the many underground BM posts people have been recommending.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #11,391 of 29,666
That reminds me, I still haven't listened to Hesitation Marks...

I really like it, honestly. I expected a bit more Electronic influence.

On another note...More sick as hell Metal. Local shop was running 20% off all vinyl.

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Pelican - Ephemeral
Pelican - Deny the Absolute / The Truce 7”
Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
Panopticon - Kentucky
Panopticon - Vestiges
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Mastodon - Blood Mountain (45 rpm)

Obviously some other stuff there, too.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #11,392 of 29,666
Seems like a lot of head fi-ers are into metal. I've never been into it at all, but I do enjoy early Metallica and Pantera. I'm going to use this thread to try and explore metal and see what you guys love about it. There's a daunting number of subgenres so this is no easy task. Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #11,393 of 29,666
Seems like a lot of head fi-ers are into metal. I've never been into it at all, but I do enjoy early Metallica and Pantera. I'm going to use this thread to try and explore metal and see what you guys love about it. There's a daunting number of subgenres so this is no easy task. Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Ohai!
Well, you could start by listening to some more Thrash Metal.
Try some Exodus, Megadeth or Slayer.

I really like it, honestly. I expected a bit more Electronic influence.

On another note...More sick as hell Metal. Local shop was running 20% off all vinyl.

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Pelican - Ephemeral
Pelican - Deny the Absolute / The Truce 7”
Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
Panopticon - Kentucky
Panopticon - Vestiges
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Mastodon - Blood Mountain (45 rpm)

Obviously some other stuff there, too.

Kentucky and Octavarium are such great albums!

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #11,394 of 29,666
That reminds me, I still haven't listened to Hesitation Marks...

This is the first NIN nails I've heard in ages. My take on the album. First a little history. I'm a middle aged metal listener. I figure I've got a good 20 + years on most of you-maybe 30....dear Gods.

I'm actually the same age as Trent Reznor so I listened to the first couple of NIN in real time. Pretty Hate machine came out 1989...before some of you were born
tongue_smile.gif
. Jeez, I feel like my Dad telling me about Elvis Pressley or the Beatles.....

Back in the day, I was a thrash head. NIN, Soundgarden and Tool pretty much opened me up to alternative music, punk, electronica, but mostly alt. But, I was always a metal kid.

I really stopped paying attention to NIN after The Downward Spiral which is a really good album.

If you've followed Trent through the ages and listened to his stoundtrack scores, you will be better prepared than I was.

I say this, because while I like the album after a couple of listens, it sounds to me like an electronic pop rock album. NIN were always electronic, but there was a component of their sound that had a punk/metal vibe. I can still hear in my head-"Head like a hole, black as your soul" and "I want to _____ you like an animal".  Although I would never classify them a metal band per se. Hell, I remember Axl Rose famously used to sport a NIN T-shirt.

The reviews I've read say that this is his happiest album. He's married and has kids. Age mellows and sobers most of us. He's not really pissed off anymore. He must have gotten over Sharon Stone's insult. She once claimed to have slept with him and told an interviewer he was lame in bed...poor guy-that really hurts!!

This album has a number of contributors including Lindsey Buckingham and a guitarist from King Krimson. There's a power pop kind of vibe. The songs seem to centered around dance like rhythms. Not my usual fare--my kid told me-"Dad, that kind of sounds like hip-hop". She usually cringes at my metal.

That said-I think Trent is fantastic at what he does....he knows how to create layers of sound and is a good songwriter. I like it. It's just not what I expected.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #11,395 of 29,666

Get Black Sabbath, maybe the album Mater of Reality. The sub-genre thing is really of very little meaning though we are all guilty of being focused on it around here. In the end it really does not get you very far.

I would go on YouTube as now there are a ton of full albums.

If you have already made yourself close with Master of Reality, get Reign In Blood.

The only band I wish I would have found out about sooner was Vader.

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #11,396 of 29,666

Try some Agalloch, Amorphis, and Moonsorrow. To me, those are the top Metal bands in the world right now.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #11,398 of 29,666

Really great stuff!  Kinda slid under the radar but definitely one I'll have to pick up  
smily_headphones1.gif

Good stuff. Reminds a bit of Drudkh with some other influences as well.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #11,399 of 29,666
The vocals are reminiscent of Austere

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #11,400 of 29,666

As mentioned by another.Check out you tube.Early megadeth are good and exhorder are a lot like pantera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back