Lets Talk Metal
Sep 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #11,372 of 29,638
Here's some fantastic DSBM

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #11,374 of 29,638

Viides Luku: Havitetty 
Moonsorrow

Listening to this right now on my Bowers & Wilkins. Such an amazing album. Sounds incredible too. Loving the bass guitar solo I just heard. Sounds like they are in the room.

My alltime-favorite Moonsorrow album. Not a single boring minute in these two songs :)
Verisaaket come in second place and the third place goes to....hmm not really sure.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #11,375 of 29,638
Interesting thread. There's definitely an argument to be made that art has always pushed boundaries and needs to be given the freedom to be offensive, explore tabus. A little like free speech. I think many of us have areas where we feel uncomfortable based on our backgrounds, experience.

I've said in posts before, that I don't mind paganism, left hand blah, blah, blah..the occult etc. because I'm not an advocate of any religion. After reading a postiive review on Metalsucks on one of thier year end lists, I bought a "Christian" death metal CD. I thought the music was OK-pretty good.  But, I will admit to being turned off to lyrics about Jesus being the only way, end of days retribution and the like. And, I haven't listened to the CD very much. Although since it's DM, if I'm not reading the lyrics, most of the time it wouldn't matter!

Due to my own background and experience growing up in kind of a hippie left leaning family and having dated a number of women form different religions and races/ethnicities, my personal line would be overt white power racism. I actually haven't heard any with these kinds of views. Naturally, I realize that there may be poeple on this list that subscribe to such viewpoints.

If I see a post that says-here's an interesting band-be advised it has NS/skinhead neo nazi-whatever rhetoric....I'm not going there. That's  be my personal "red line" just becuase I don't need that kind of B.S. in my ears. It would just make me angry :)

Basically this. If the music is openly neo-nazi then they can get the fu.ck out. And that's probably the only thing I'm really against getting, even if I don't necessarily agree with them. If for example a member is neo-nazi but the band/project as a whole isn't, I might try online, but I'd have to think at least twice before spending any money on it.
Not really sure where to put Burzum here. I know Varg's views, but I haven't really paid attention to the lyrics (I didn't like the music itself that much anyway). Don't know how much of it is in the music.

When it comes to religious/anti-religious things, for some reason I don't care as much - dunno why. At least when it comes to music, but for example when Empty Playground has explicitly anti-christian quotes on their t-shirts - OK, music is their thing, I don't care AS much, I may buy the CD (haven't though, but for totally other, more material reasons). But merch is out of question. I don't want to WEAR such things myself.

That topic kinda reminds me of the guy from a local Christian Rock band (one of those that actually calls themselves a christian band). One of their CDs both musically and lyrically was a bit different. A journalist asked him, why do the lyrics feel different this time - less religious perhaps?
The musician answered "They still are. But after that much time I don't feel my lyrics have to be so direct to be religious". And frankly, I hope more christian artists will get to that point. Some of that music is painfully obvious lyrically and even I as a christian tend to not get into them so much.
On the other hand, this happens often to the other side as well. :)

TL;DR - I wish many artists writing about religion was better, more subtle lyrically. Regardless of which side they are on.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #11,376 of 29,638
Have any of you heard about this band? They're called Slechtvalk. Basically black metal style and a Christian band. I didn't find out about their Christian affiliation until much later.
They implement elements of folk metal into their sound, although on the darker side. I think this album "A Forlorn Throne" is a masterpiece. It's finally available on their website, although expensive. I am going to get it soon.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #11,377 of 29,638
You posted the same song twice. :wink: But will check out (in a moment, gotta finish something first - damn Android YT for not allowing playback in the background) - mostly from curiosity since Folk Metal is not exactly my thing.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #11,378 of 29,638
I've been listening to the TES:4 Skyrim soundtrack the whole day. Awesome²
Pretty metal, but not Metal. I hope you get what I'm trying to say :p

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #11,379 of 29,638
A Black Metal Christian band? That's a combination I've never seen before. They must be the only one on the planet. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #11,380 of 29,638
  A Black Metal Christian band? That's a combination I've never seen before. They must be the only one on the planet. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unblack_metal

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #11,381 of 29,638
Figures, them dirty Christians have to stick their fingers in everything... I'm kidding, I'm kidding. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #11,382 of 29,638
That topic kinda reminds me of the guy from a local Christian Rock band (one of those that actually calls themselves a christian band). One of their CDs both musically and lyrically was a bit different. A journalist asked him, why do the lyrics feel different this time - less religious perhaps?
The musician answered "They still are. But after that much time I don't feel my lyrics have to be so direct to be religious". And frankly, I hope more christian artists will get to that point. Some of that music is painfully obvious lyrically and even I as a christian tend to not get into them so much.
On the other hand, this happens often to the other side as well. :)

Ditto. Most "worship" music is some of the most uncreative stuff that I've ever heard, and not just in the lyrics. At least pop changes every 6 months.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #11,383 of 29,638
Fixed it.

Well remember where they got their inspiration from. Secular Black Metal. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned they are Christian. It will probably influence first impressions. Doesn't matter though, it's fantastic metal.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11,384 of 29,638
  Have any of you heard about this band? They're called Slechtvalk. Basically black metal style and a Christian band. I didn't find out about their Christian affiliation until much later.
They implement elements of folk metal into their sound, although on the darker side. I think this album "A Forlorn Throne" is a masterpiece. It's finally available on their website, although expensive. I am going to get it soon.

Yes I have heard of them and adore them. I own every album

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #11,385 of 29,638
I see Black Metal as an ideology, and beyond just a structural style of music. I don't have anything against Christians, but Christian Black Metal is the strangest combination in music I've come across in a while. I'll still check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back