Lets Talk Metal
Mar 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #931 of 29,641
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a band thats better than Swallow The Sun for its genre? I really love them. All the albums are great IMO. I just ordered their ep yesterday too
biggrin.gif
Hope that one is also great.

Better? None that I have heard...

But...

I think if you dig them, you would also really like the following bands:

Daylight Dies (Closest to them I have found)
Be'lakor (Opeth meets STS)
Insomnium (More accessible and less complex)

About Swallow the Sun: I really hope their next album is better than their last one, as I thought that the title track on their EP was better than the entire recent album (New Moon). In fact, the first 11 minutes to the EP are some of the best material they have ever written, in my opinion. To be fair, Weight of the Dead is a great song off New Moon, but the ending goes on for friggin' ever. Ever take a good idea for a 30 second climax and make it overstay its welcome by about 3 hours? That was the ending to that song...

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #932 of 29,641
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better? None that I have heard...

But...

I think if you dig them, you would also really like the following bands:

Daylight Dies (Closest to them I have found)
Be'lakor (Opeth meets STS)
Insomnium (More accessible and less complex)

About Swallow the Sun: I really hope their next album is better than their last one, as I thought that the title track on their EP was better than the entire recent album (New Moon).

I think Insomnium is a lot more melodic death than they are doom, but Be'lakor and Daylight Dies especially are good matches. To that list I would add:

November's Doom
Before the Dawn
In Mourning
Rapture
Draconian
Novembre

I've liked pretty much all of Swallow The Sun's work, but for me The Morning Never Came is so good that everything else can't compete. It's not that Ghosts Of Loss or Hope or New Moon are bad albums. They are very good albums, but Morning Never Came is a masterpiece, and I wonder if they'll ever be able to do something like that again.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #933 of 29,641
Quote:

I'm listening to Ribspreader right now... What is up with the ramones cover hahaha I guess they have a sense of humour
biggrin.gif

It's tongue in cheek methinks. All of Rogga Johansson's other old-school death metal projects are quality stuff too: Demiurg, Paganizer, Revolting, Bone Gnawer and The Grotesquery. Meat-and-potatoes DM that's a perfect soundtrack for a barbecue party.
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #934 of 29,641
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've liked pretty much all of Swallow The Sun's work, but for me The Morning Never Came is so good that everything else can't compete. It's not that Ghosts Of Loss or Hope or New Moon are bad albums. They are very good albums, but Morning Never Came is a masterpiece, and I wonder if they'll ever be able to do something like that again.

The Morning Never Came is indeed without equal, though Hope comes close. Their debut was just a perfect concoction of melodic doom with a strong emotional impact without being too whiny.

Speaking of a similar doom act, I would also consider Draconian's "Arcane Rain Fell" as one of those albums that's just set the bar so high for the band that succeeding releases can't live up to it.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #935 of 29,641
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you like Tartaros/ Limbonic Art/ Bishop of Hexen/ Anorexia Nervosa you HAVE to check out Carach Angren! First album "Lammendam" and new album "Death Came Through A Phantom Ship".

I would add Ceremonial Castings - Salem 1692 to the list. If you havent, check it out Donunus. Especially songs Where The Witches Walz and Obsidian Spells Of Hysteria.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #938 of 29,641
Quote:

Arcturus sideshow symphonies is actually really great. I'm loving it. Great metal with clean vocals

Outstanding album. If you haven't already, definitely check out The Sham Mirrors by them as well. Different vocals (Garm from Ulver... another outstanding band) but it is just as good as Sideshow Symphonies (if not a bit better). Production SUCKS, but damn, it is a killer album. I really hope there is an Arcturus reunion sometime...

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #940 of 29,641
Arcturus' "La Masquerade Infernale" is one of my favourite atmospheric metal albums! Morgul's "Sketch of Supposed Murderer", Limbonic Art's "In Abhorrence Dementia" and Swartalf's "The Golden Section" rank pretty high as well.

Also, I read someone was looking for a band like Swallow the Sun, have you tried Shape of Despair?

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #942 of 29,641
So last night at work i was reading reviews on metalunderground, and read the review for Wrath by Lamb of God, and it got like a 4.5, so i decided i should check it out. And im so happy i did, that cd is bad@ss! i should definitely have checked out lamb of god sooner. Also Planetary Duality by The Faceless is pretty sweet as well.

Edit: Equally as impressive is that Wrath isnt brickwalled like at all, i just put In Your Words into Audacity and this is what came out

Edit 2: so i realized that i dont know what im doing in audacity and that i had taken that pic wrong, it is brickwalled like crazy, lol, but oh well. Ill stick with sonic visualizer on mac now
redface.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #943 of 29,641
Man LOG is the shuuuhhh...I saw em live 3 times last year. If you like Wrath you'll love Ashes of the Wake.

I saw The Faceless too w/Dying Fetus and Suffokate back in Nov or so. Awesome show! The new Suffokate is pretty good too.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #944 of 29,641
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man LOG is the shuuuhhh...I saw em live 3 times last year. If you like Wrath you'll love Ashes of the Wake.

I saw The Faceless too w/Dying Fetus and Suffokate back in Nov or so. Awesome show! The new Suffokate is pretty good too.

Yeah i've listened to Wrath all the way through like 4 times so far today, its pretty much amazing. I love their sound, i dont really know why i never listened to them before either, i always loved the one song id heard before in guitar hero 2 and Rock band, which was laid to rest, i just never checked them out outside of the game till now. Ill have to check out ashes of wake once i absorb all of wrath
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back