Lets Talk Metal
Feb 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #8,597 of 29,678
You know, how you can go back to an album you haven't heard in a while and appreciate it more a few yeasr later?

Anticipating the new Cult of Luna release, has me thinking about some of my post metal discs-going to the back of the rack, I'm currently playing something I sort of overlooked at the time, but sounds great on my Grado cans...enjoying details I missed several years ago-Callisto's True Nature Unfolds from 2008-definitely a CUL/Mouth of the Architect vibe-
61CIbo%2Ba-yL.jpg

I'm curious what you think of Beak's Eyre?

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #8,598 of 29,678

Gave this one a spin this morning and I have to say it's a fantastic album. First time I've been all the way through. 

As for fidelity I can't comment yet. New TT, new record, crap amp, and crap cans. Judging how good it sounds it tough since I've never heard it before. Getting some left channel distortion throughout but with everything being unfamiliar I have a feeling it's not the record.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #8,599 of 29,678
I'm playing with the "tape mod" on my Grado225i cans and enjoying what I percieve as a greater base emphasis on some DOOM and prog faves.

Electric Wizzard's Dopethrone

and, Opeth-Ghost Reveries-OK-now if someone tells me they've never heard of these bands, I'll know your schiiting with me!

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #8,600 of 29,678
Quote:
I'm curious what you think of Beak's Eyre?

I don't think I've head of them....fill me in....

Oh, and Callisto from a previous post is your basic tasteful post metal very much in the vein of Isis and cult of Luna. Hardcore vocals, esoteric, sudo spiritual lyrics-I think they're Scandinavian. I noticed Invisible Oranges had a recent post about lost classics or something and referenced the album, "True Nature Unfolds" which I had buried in my CD collection and so I decided to listen to it again. When I bought it, it didn't really grab me in the same way that Isis, Pelican, CUL, Neurosis did, so I thought it deserved a reexamination along with some wine and chill time.

Yeah-sounded pretty sweet! But, not as good as the aforementioned bands IMO. NTL, worth a listen if you can stream it or something, for fans of well composed post metal. But, hey, who needs all that "thinking man's" metal sc
very_evil_smiley.gif
hiiit.

Well, me, I guess....on occasion

Listening to Dopethrone now....definitely not thinking man's metal. And, I haven't taken it's rather single minded advice in many years.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8,601 of 29,678
Quote:

Gave this one a spin this morning and I have to say it's a fantastic album. First time I've been all the way through. 

As for fidelity I can't comment yet. New TT, new record, crap amp, and crap cans. Judging how good it sounds it tough since I've never heard it before. Getting some left channel distortion throughout but with everything being unfamiliar I have a feeling it's not the record.

Much appreciated Bro!!!. I just love watching picture of LPs and Turntables..

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #8,603 of 29,678
Quote:

Wow-very favorable review for sure. I'll have to keep my eyes out for these guys.

This makes me admit to being a complete dork-but Wintersun sounds pretty good on HP's. I promise to not post any No Celine Dion or Neil Diamond.

81iX9py9YeL._SL1000_.jpg

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #8,604 of 29,678
Quote:
I don't think I've head of them....fill me in....

Oh, and Callisto from a previous post is your basic tasteful post metal very much in the vein of Isis and cult of Luna. Hardcore vocals, esoteric, sudo spiritual lyrics-I think they're Scandinavian. I noticed Invisible Oranges had a recent post about lost classics or something and referenced the album, "True Nature Unfolds" which I had buried in my CD collection and so I decided to listen to it again. When I bought it, it didn't really grab me in the same way that Isis, Pelican, CUL, Neurosis did, so I thought it deserved a reexamination along with some wine and chill time

They are finnish. Their second LP Noir is hailed usually as their strongest. It has been recorded amazingly well, they all seem to play together in a bigger room full of vivid echoes. Their records are at points a bit long for my tastes but still very recommended.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #8,605 of 29,678
So I've asked before, but didnt get too many replies. Im looking for a second can to use at work, most likely with a portable amp. It has to be open so i can hear the phone ring an such. and i dont want to spend more then 3-400 or so. So i was looking at either the HD600s or HE-400s with something like a Fiio E12. Any other ideas? I know last time i was suggested a porta pro, but im looking for something more comfortable for long listening sessions, but also something more refined than that.

Thanks for any ideas guys!

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #8,606 of 29,678
Quote:
So I've asked before, but didnt get too many replies. Im looking for a second can to use at work, most likely with a portable amp. It has to be open so i can hear the phone ring an such. and i dont want to spend more then 3-400 or so. So i was looking at either the HD600s or HE-400s with something like a Fiio E12. Any other ideas? I know last time i was suggested a porta pro, but im looking for something more comfortable for long listening sessions, but also something more refined than that.

Thanks for any ideas guys!

I am under the impression that HE-400 are quite heavy and big. It wouldn't probably bother me at home but at work one might find it too clumsy to live with. Just a thought, I might be completely wrong, as the case usually is.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #8,607 of 29,678
Quote:
I am under the impression that HE-400 are quite heavy and big. It wouldn't probably bother me at home but at work one might find it too clumsy to live with. Just a thought, I might be completely wrong, as the case usually is.

Thats actually something i hadnt even thought of, though im not entirely certain it would bother me, but thanks for bringing it up :D

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #8,609 of 29,678
Quote:
They are finnish. Their second LP Noir is hailed usually as their strongest. It has been recorded amazingly well, they all seem to play together in a bigger room full of vivid echoes. Their records are at points a bit long for my tastes but still very recommended.

I'm going to agree with that re:True Nature Unflolds-each song holds up on its own as an inidividual piece of music, but listening straight through, I begin to lose interest the last 1/4 of the CD.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #8,610 of 29,678
Quote:

No we haven't discussed Opeth yet in this thread. Who are they? 

Ha, ha, ha.

Can someone help me? I just heard a group that sounded pretty good. The name was Led Zeppelin and the song was Stairway, uh, Stairway to the stars...no, no, no-that's not it-does this ring a bell with anyone? Funny....it sounded vaguely familiar. I think they were British. The guitarist was pretty good. Some old guy, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back