Lets Talk Metal
Aug 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,856 of 29,664
So just woke up from a day of Summer Slaughter last night. Every part of my body is sore and my head is hanging like Stephan Hawkings.  
But there were so many ******* amazing bands.  Other than the obvious big names, Conducting The Grave and I, Of Helix(but I was already a fan) stood out.  Then of course Veil Of Maya threw an amazing set, but Faceless was disappointing, they played too many songs off their new album, and played only two of their greats from their old albums. And I didn't listen to BTBAM before this so they completely surprised me, ******* loved them, going to have to buy a CD. Then of course Cannibal Corpse played a great set to end the night with.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #6,857 of 29,664
Quote:
So just woke up from a day of Summer Slaughter last night. Every part of my body is sore and my head is hanging like Stephan Hawkings.  
But there were so many ******* amazing bands.  Other than the obvious big names, Conducting The Grave and I, Of Helix(but I was already a fan) stood out.  Then of course Veil Of Maya threw an amazing set, but Faceless was disappointing, they played too many songs off their new album, and played only two of their greats from their old albums. And I didn't listen to BTBAM before this so they completely surprised me, ******* loved them, going to have to buy a CD. Then of course Cannibal Corpse played a great set to end the night with.

Btbam are absolutely amazing, go and buy all their albums. So stoked that I finally get to see them November this year, with AAL.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #6,858 of 29,664

This song makes me want to do bad things?

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #6,859 of 29,664
Quote:

I only liked the sound of Crossbreed's bass guitar. Seriously awesome bass. They have a weird sound, like a mixture of swedish death and thrash? I dunno, don't like it. Other track reminded me a bit of Ofermod. Not bad but it doesn't stick with me.

I'm at home recovering from surgery on my jaw and suddenly have a lot of time on my hands. Totally rediscovering Iron Maiden. I mean, I've been a fan since my tenth birthday, Killers was my first metal album ever, but for some reason since the surgery I'm getting these awesome vibes again from albums like Seventh Son, Piece of Mind and Powerslave. Healing music. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #6,860 of 29,664
Quote:

I only liked the sound of Crossbreed's bass guitar. Seriously awesome bass. They have a weird sound, like a mixture of swedish death and thrash? I dunno, don't like it. Other track reminded me a bit of Ofermod. Not bad but it doesn't stick with me.

I'm at home recovering from surgery on my jaw and suddenly have a lot of time on my hands. Totally rediscovering Iron Maiden. I mean, I've been a fan since my tenth birthday, Killers was my first metal album ever, but for some reason since the surgery I'm getting these awesome vibes again from albums like Seventh Son, Piece of Mind and Powerslave. Healing music. 

Its the swedish DM sound inspired alright, most likely using the same old Boss HM2 pedal.

Jaw surgery? Somebody finally punched you?
tongue.gif
Really though, quick recovery for you.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #6,862 of 29,664

Oh and give this a chance guys. Really interesting and atmospheric black metal with epic nineties riffs, a great guitarist and acoustic and sometimes even jazzy interludes? Crazy violin solos too. Don't use bright headphones!

EDIT: just learned that it's a one-man project. So the guy does everything himself. Listen to this and you hear why that's pretty impressive.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #6,864 of 29,664
Quote:
Have any of you guys heard about Kalmah ?
They're awesome .
The thing is the tracks i've got are not very well produced . (Mostly 192Kbps Mp3s)
I wanted to know if any of you guys knew a store that sells their albums on 24/96 or 24/192
Preferably the Swamplord album .
If you haven't heard of them i recommend you to listen to their Hades track it's in the Swamplord album ! :D

I'm a big fan of Kalmah's first three albums. The Black Waltz was pretty good, FTR was decent, and I thought 12 Gauge stunk. It's also one of the worst sounding albums I've ever heard. I literally cannot stand to listen to it, which is a rare thing for me. I think I made it all the way through once. Needless to say its long gone.

As far as I know, everything up to 12 Gauge was only ever issued on CD, so just buy those. The early albums were also not that well recorded, so there'd likely be little benefit to high-res other than increased dynamic range. The CDs are slammed hard but they don't clip, early '00 CDs tend not to.

Black Roija is still the best song they've written to date. I LOVE that guitar solo. Slow, mournful guitar solos beat 100 soulless sweep fests any day of the week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Kalmah / Swamplord
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR5       -0.38 dB    -7.05 dB      5:08 01-Evil In You
DR6       -0.38 dB    -6.79 dB      3:34 02-Withering Away
DR5       -0.38 dB    -6.46 dB      4:30 03-Heritance of Berija
DR5       -0.38 dB    -6.89 dB      4:15 04-Black Roija
DR6       -0.38 dB    -7.81 dB      4:32 05-Dance of the Water
DR5       -0.38 dB    -6.83 dB      4:25 06-Hades
DR5       -0.38 dB    -5.99 dB      4:41 07-Alteration
DR5       -0.38 dB    -6.18 dB      5:07 08-Using the Word

Number of tracks:  8
Official DR value: DR5

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6,865 of 29,664
Quote:
I dont do this often, but anyone have any recommendations for a completely open can(like as little isolation as possible) that would be good for metal for under 100 bucks? i need something other than my Jh13s for work, my boss is telling me that i need to be able to hear from now on. like the phone and such. Im not a fan of grados or Audio Technica Art models either...

If you want cheap, open, and decent sound, you want KOSS. Check out the KSC-35 or the PortaPro.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #6,866 of 29,664
I remember Porta Pro being muddy. I'd rather choose KSC. I remember Jays V-Jays being neat open portables. Not sure how would they sound with Metal, though. From cheap full-sized ones, I remember some Superluxes being good for Metal. Not sure if they are easy to power.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #6,867 of 29,664
Quote:

Hehehehehehe.

[size=small]Sentimentality?[/size]

I purchased the one and only Chaos Breed album in 04 when it came out. I love when bands copy another band down to the last note. Many have problems with groups that are not original. I don't.

by the way...............................

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #6,870 of 29,664

Official promo video from Khonsu's debut album, "Anomalia".
Directed by Steffen Gronbech and Christian Falch.
Produced by Gammaglimt Videoproduksjoner AS.

Hordes Of Decay sound like a perfect mixture of Mastodon and Mayhem? So Cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back