Lets Talk Metal
Nov 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #4,636 of 29,701
Alright Metal fans. I've been out of the loop on metal for awhile and I'm getting back into it. I need some suggestions. 

Metal I've been listening to lately: (Various Genres)
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Threat Signal
Sybreed

(I had a whole list in my head and I'm blanking as I write so I'll update when more come to mind)

More specifically I really love Power Metal as well...Hammerfall, Nightwish, Iced Earth, Demons & Wizards, Blind Guardian, etc.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #4,637 of 29,701
No! What's it called?

There's no way I could rate it that high. 7.5 for me is a pretty good album, and Thirteen I think is barely average. WAY worse than UA, which I would probably give an 8. If I had to rank Megadeth's worst albums, it would be 1. Risk, 2. Thirteen 3. So Far So Good So What.

Yeah, I don't think its that bad and as you know dude, I don't like UA at all. I mean AT ALL.

Thirteen for what it is a pretty decent album. Some of the songs I hated I actually don't think are that bad. Its not by any means close to what they were, but its a solid 7ish for me. I don't know, maybe Dave give it more time and you might warm up to it (you might not).

EDIT: Actually the more I listen to Endgame, the more I prefer Thirteen. In the end though, neither capture the glory of the old days.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #4,640 of 29,701

Quote:
Alright Metal fans. I've been out of the loop on metal for awhile and I'm getting back into it. I need some suggestions. 

Metal I've been listening to lately: (Various Genres)
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Threat Signal
Sybreed

Metal I'm really enjoying right now - old Dark Tranquillity, Enslaved (the song Ground on Vertebrae has become one of my all time favorites, SOOO GOOOOOOD), the new Fair to Midland, which is only metal-ish, but great, the new Ghost Brigade, the new Graveworm, and the new Insomnium (which is a little disappointing). I need to hear all of the new Black Sun Aeon, which may be good, but like the Insomnium the streaming stuff on Youtube sounds really bad production wise. Hopefully the actual CD is better. I also need to hear the new Nightrage.

Listening to Ground again has made me think of a question for the folks here. What's the song with your favorite solo, and I don't mean soulless, technical, shreddy solo. I mean most musical solo. For me it's probably Ground, and Opeth's Epilogue.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #4,641 of 29,701

That's a band I totally forgot about. I was a hugr Dark Tranquility fan for awhile.
Quote:
Metal I'm really enjoying right now - old Dark Tranquillity, Enslaved (the song Ground on Vertebrae has become one of my all time favorites, SOOO GOOOOOOD), the new Fair to Midland, which is only metal-ish, but great, the new Ghost Brigade, the new Graveworm, and the new Insomnium (which is a little disappointing). I need to hear all of the new Black Sun Aeon, which may be good, but like the Insomnium the streaming stuff on Youtube sounds really bad production wise. Hopefully the actual CD is better. I also need to hear the new Nightrage.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4,642 of 29,701

Listening to Ground again has made me think of a question for the folks here. What's the song with your favorite solo, and I don't mean soulless, technical, shreddy solo. I mean most musical solo. For me it's probably Ground, and Opeth's Epilogue.

I will throw in my play list right now:

• Havok - Time Up
  • Deafheaven - Road to Judah (unbelievably good, Negakinu? MaZa?)
  • Mayhem - Everything (this weekend live!)
  • Taake - Noreg Vaapen (TNBM done right)
  • Cynic - Carbon Based EP (where be the metal?)

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4,643 of 29,701

Quote:
Contain Us
Act now before they sell out!

That is so tempting! It's about time he released one of these... can't wait.

Wasn't Ghost 2 supposed to come out this year?

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #4,645 of 29,701
Wow, cool thread guys. I'd like to ask my fellow metalheads one question. If I were to get either the um3x or w4 which one should I get for metal listening? I listen to a lot of black metal if that helps.

*NVM, I just went with the w4 as I was afraid of um3x failing on me again.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #4,646 of 29,701
For some reason being called a metalhead has always insulted me, and I've never really been able to identify why.

Anyways, my tastes have been very... controversial recently. I'm listening to a ****load of modern melodeath, metalcore, and melodic deathcore.

All That Remains - Guilty pleasure. Their melodeath background really hooks me. Their first three albums are all great in their own way.
Killswitch Engage - Another guilty pleasure. I really love their first few albums.
As Blood Runs Black - DRUMZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Also, My fears have become phobias, and hester prynn are amazing tracks, regardless.
Abigail Williams EP - Metalcore/Black metal deliciousness.
Insomnium
Into Eternity - pre-scattering of ashes.
Scar Symmetry - pre-christian leaving. I actually like Holographic Universe despite most people hating it.
Disarmonia Mundi - What I don't understand is why Soilwork's vocalist performs better with this group than with his own. I couldn't stand his work on Soilwork, yet on this he actually sounds competent, and pleasing to my ear.
Light This City - Their album Facing the Thousand is riffs for days. I wanted to hate them because of what they are but just couldn't.
Skylight Drive - Another band I WANTED to hate but just couldn't. The abundance of trills and melody really hooked me. Could use a little less breakdown, but ****. That's asking too much LOL.
Within the Ruin - Progressive technical deathcore. One of the few bands who do breakdowns WELL. Very techincal, great songwriting, etc

Oh, last thing. I ******* HAAAAAATE In Flames, but their first album is ******* sick. It's like blackened melodeath. WHY COULDN'T THEY CONTINUE THIS TREND?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4,647 of 29,701

Quote:

Oh, last thing. I ******* HAAAAAATE In Flames, but their first album is ******* sick. It's like blackened melodeath. WHY COULDN'T THEY CONTINUE THIS TREND?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's all pretty much downhill from there, pick up speed downhill when they  hook up with As I Lay Dying and start integrating hardcore influence.  I don't listen to any In Flames anymore.  Yeah for me, add "core" to anything and I'm out.  Don't really like melodeath anymore either.

Bands I still liten to:

Taake
Dark Castle
Russian Circles
Decapitated
Meshuggah (but I mostly find it boring now)
Cannibal Corpse
Dying Fetus (breakdowns don't universally bother me, but not my usual listening)
Opeth
Xerath
Swallow the Sun
Nile
Daylight Dies
Katatonia
Devin Townsend

And the rest of my listening isn't metal.  If anyone can add any suggestions would be welcome - I'm pretty bored with metal, but also very picky about what I listen to.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #4,649 of 29,701

Quote:

Hahaha. I'm actually not really a fan of Lunar Strain, but Jester Race is a classic, defining album of the Gothenburg genre, and the two albums that followed it, while not as landmark, are both exceptional. Then things shall we say took a turn. It happens more often than not. Most bands are not Dark Tranquillity, able to put out solid release after solid release.

Most of the Disarmonia Mundi albums are actually terrible, and Strid didn't have that much to do with them. The good one is Fragments, which does outshine the recent Soilwork output, but definitely not Natural Born Chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back