Lets Talk Metal
Sep 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #4,351 of 29,701

Quote:

I don't suppose there's anything else out there in that vein with female vocals other than Battle Of Mice?  When I think of female metal vocalists that can vocalize like the men, the only one I can think of is Arch Enemy, but I honestly wouldn't even mind melodic vocals mixed in with this (the heresy :) ).

I also just discovered Caïna, which is definitely growing on me.  The Drudkh album you recommended is much better than the earlier stuff I listened, too.  Too bad about all the controversy about Roman Saenko's beliefs.  At least on the band's Myspace, they've made it clear that they don't want any of those groups linked with their music.

For something slightly resembling Battle of Mice, check out Neurosis & Jarboe's collaboration album. The first track "Within" is probably one of the most claustrophobic and downright scary pieces of music I've ever heard. The fan made video is pretty damn disturbing too. 

Apart from that Neurosis & Jarboe release, I can't think of any other postmetal act with decent female vocals. You could try Hrsta and stuff like Blonde Redhead, Mum and even Swans (Jarboe played in Swans) but those acts aren't really metal. Still heavy and amazing though. 

Caïna I still need to check out. One of those bands I've been recommended a few times but still haven't listened to. Thanks for the reminder! Hook me up with anything you think I might dig. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #4,352 of 29,701

Prog metal Like it should be.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #4,353 of 29,701

Quote:

What I meant was something which is diametrically opposite to your natural musical tastes. It should be shocking.

The above two are what I call directional music. When you are young you listen to whatever is playing on TV/Radio.

And then you see a super popular rock/metal band on TV and then you realize that a different sound does exist. Then you search for newer bands and come to terms with the sound you like.

What about Non Rock/ Metal ?? 
biggrin.gif

lol well i would say Lady Gaga, but i dont hate her at all...i love Lady Gaga. So i guess ill go with Katy Perry, i really wish i could hate her, and those are the only two hiphop/pop style artists i listen to.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #4,361 of 29,701

Quote:
Actually, just yesterday I bought a pair of secondhand Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's ($100), a secondhand pair of Audio Pro Focus SA-2's ($50, for the bedroom, hooked to a Tripath), a secondhand NAD 3020e ($65) and a modified, secondhand Maverick Tubemagic D1 ($85). Now I'm going to dampen my office with sound absorption plates/wall-art. 

Let me know how those work out for you. I had a similar pair of British monitors in my office years back (Mission 771), and the sound was really flat and dull. When given 8 feet of space to breathe in the living room though, the Missions came alive. Definitely not a nearfield speaker.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4,362 of 29,701

Quote:

What I meant was something which is diametrically opposite to your natural musical tastes. It should be shocking.

The above two are what I call directional music. When you are young you listen to whatever is playing on TV/Radio.

And then you see a super popular rock/metal band on TV and then you realize that a different sound does exist. Then you search for newer bands and come to terms with the sound you like.

What about Non Rock/ Metal ?? 
biggrin.gif

This

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #4,365 of 29,701

Quote:
you like prog metal and Bilateral by Leprous isnt on that list????? seriously, go check it out.

I am still trying to assimilate Leprous. I have to tell you Prog Metal is a new area for me.

I have loved, - Animals as Leaders, Damnation and Heritage(Yet to listen to other albums) and Wildhoney.

I have always been a Core/Thrash lover and frankly I guess I am overwhelmed by Prog.

BTW, Song that I HATE ........................  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back