Lets Talk Metal
Apr 5, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #361 of 29,701
Can't say I agree with Turisas being cheesy (they've become one of my favourites over the past few months after all), but I will second both Moonsorrow and Ensiferum. I'll also toss Eluveitie, Týr and Heidevolk into the mix as worth giving a listen to. They're straying a bit from the path, perhaps, but still...

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #362 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say I agree with Turisas being cheesy (they've become one of my favourites over the past few months after all), but I will second both Moonsorrow and Ensiferum. I'll also toss Eluveitie, Týr and Heidevolk into the mix as worth giving a listen to. They're straying a bit from the path, perhaps, but still...

adding mentions for the viking hordes from:
-Windir
-Thyrfing
-Manegarm

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #363 of 29,701
I think Turisas stage presence is a little cheesy, but there's nothing cheesy about their music imo. Although I have to agree with Cousin Patty....about Moonsorrow being epic. They're one of my favourite bands.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #364 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eluveitie's new album is streaming on their myspace. Definitely different from their previous albums, but I really like it!

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #365 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFungus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eluveitie's new album is streaming on their myspace. Definitely different from their previous albums, but I really like it!

I need to listen to it on my rig before I decide what I think, but it certainly sounds good on my crud speakers.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #366 of 29,701
An official single ( "Bible Black" ) from the new Heaven and Hell album has been officially released, it's easily available on their myspace or youtube, i have to say it's not bad, standard dio-era sabbath music, nothing groundbreaking, solid mid-tempo, groovy riffing by Tony, reminds me of something from Mob Rules, like Voodoo for example... what do you guys think about it ?

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #368 of 29,701
BTW I've just bought a copy of Paranoid deluxe edition, it's a recent release, it includes a cd version of the album remastered from original tapes which is said to be very good, plus bonus discs with the famous quadraphonic mix and some unreleased demos. I'll see if it sounds better than my vinyl copy which is not an original vertigo pressing ( too pricey for me... ), but still in very good condition ( it's a 1973 WWA reissue ).

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #369 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFungus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Turisas stage presence is a little cheesy, but there's nothing cheesy about their music imo. Although I have to agree with Cousin Patty....about Moonsorrow being epic. They're one of my favourite bands.

yeah see i saw them play live with ensiferum and theyre just too upbeat for my tastes.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #371 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anybody like summoning?....just bought their "minus morgul" album. great stuff.

i have oathbound and let mortal heroes sing your fame. good stuff. i prefer oathbound.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #372 of 29,701
Quote:

Summoning is great! Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Thy Fame are my favs.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #373 of 29,701
Quote:

Easily on my shortlist of favourites.

So much so that I awesomely acquired their entire catalogue... right before it seems to have entered general US distribution
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #374 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Summoning is great! Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Thy Fame are my favs.

Agreed, although I like Dol Goldur and Minas Morgul in the right mood.Minas Morgul is really cheesy, albeit in a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't say I like Oath Bound, though.

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #375 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by darklegion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, although I like Dol Goldur and Minas Morgul in the right mood.Minas Morgul is really cheesy, albeit in a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't say I like Oath Bound, though.

Why I raise Stronghold and LMHSTF higher is because Summoning matured as musicians and composers there, songs finally feel like orchestrated in neoclassical way. Though I guess when they got their hands on more expensive equipment helped a lot. Makes their old Casio-keyboard like stuff sound bit amateurish.

Whats wrong with Oath Bound? Well, its nothing new but thats not necessarily a bad thing. (usually when bands start to experiment, s*** happens) I enjoyed it, though there are some sounds in some songs that I would have left out. (What is up with that repeating crow and bowling crash in Might and Glory? Ruins the otherwise good song completely) Mirdautas Vras is fricking epic! Effectively draws the hopeless scenery seen on top of the Helms Deep wall in my mind. Orc army marching gives me goose bumps, its quite well done. Also making the song in the Black language of Mordor is kinda cool idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back