Lets Talk Metal
Sep 24, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #27,181 of 29,660
By today's standards, im not sure if this style qualifies as "metal", but, there was a time.....
Also, this guy is what, 78,???? and his voice sounds undiminished by time..., and he's on tour.
Neat idea for a song....
-
-
-

-
-
-
And this.... maybe its too "prog" for the true Metal head, but i really like this live video song...
-
-
-

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #27,182 of 29,660
There is a ton of incredible metal from Japan, but I admit that I don't really get into "J-Metal."

Boris, Coffins, Heaven in Her Arms (post-hardcore but still), Sigh, I just REALLY got into Butcher ABC. Basically when the metal is just metal. Kawaii stuff rubs me the wrong way.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #27,183 of 29,660
There is a ton of incredible metal from Japan, but I admit that I don't really get into "J-Metal."

Boris, Coffins, Heaven in Her Arms (post-hardcore but still), Sigh, I just REALLY got into Butcher ABC. Basically when the metal is just metal. Kawaii stuff rubs me the wrong way.

Thank you for the reply, SGD.

I'm not an expert in this genre. So I have to defer to others on that. "J-metal" may be the wrong term for some of the above groups, for example. I don't really know. I have no problem with artists blending different genres together though, if they do it well. And I think most of the above do what they do pretty well, regardless how they may be labelled.

I'll check out some of the bands you mention above though.

I also like Wagakki Band btw. Another Japanese group that uses mostly traditional instruments. They also do some beautiful videos ("Strong Fate" is recent favorite). The traditional percussion they use is very bright and hard on my ears though. And their tracks are often badly loudness compressed, which makes the brightness even worse. So that's why I did not include them. Wonderful group though. :)

Thank you again for the reply, SGD.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #27,185 of 29,660
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #27,186 of 29,660

(ง'̀-'́)ง

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #27,189 of 29,660
The best hi-fi equipment made me hate metal. They sound like loud noise on the best audio sets.

Your probably making stuff too bright, it takes some warmth to tame Metal. Keep trying it’s there. Though some black metal is always thin, they want to hurt our ears.

Try this album by Ghost in HD as it’s up there as one of the best recorded albums of the year. Not Metal but Metalish. Listen to how the drums sound!

http://www.hdtracks.com/prequelle

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #27,190 of 29,660
Your probably making stuff too bright, it takes some warmth to tame Metal. Keep trying it’s there. Though some black metal is always thin, they want to hurt our ears.

Try this album by Ghost in HD as it’s up there as one of the best recorded albums of the year. Not Metal but Metalish. Listen to how the drums sound!

http://www.hdtracks.com/prequelle

With headphones that's true, but with speakers it's the opposite and they make everything metal sound like it's trying to crack the house's foundations.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #27,191 of 29,660
With headphones that's true, but with speakers it's the opposite and they make everything metal sound like it's trying to crack the house's foundations.

Metal bad on speakers? ...... Uh OK?

You have to keep trying. It is different than headphones but again if stuff is too bright it’s bad. It takes talent to put a good metal stereo together.

Stereos are 10X harder to get right than headphones. If your a middle class working guy it can take years to figure it out. It simply takes a long time and a bunch of effort. Even perfect audiophile stereos don’t sound right with metal at times; they can take it too much apart and make it sound too detailed. You need a pronounced heavy lower midrange and a very good midrange. Metal is all about midrange. You look for both speed and slam; most of all authority.

Get a quality 15 inch sub, two solid state power amps and some old good preamp. Bi amp some nice two way monitors and tune the sub to fit in. Make sure your room is not too live. Or if on a wood floor tune the sub way way down.

You can do this with used equipment off Fleabay. It takes talent and about $1000 to $1500.

That would fit a medium size room. It’s all about fitting the space. Big rooms need different stuff, small rooms different stuff. Also with metal you can put a big room stereo in a small room but can not put a small room stereo in a big room.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #27,192 of 29,660
Even black metal sounds amazing on speakers. Listen to Burzum's Filosofem with a good system and it's fan-fuggin-tastic. I have no idea what dude's talking about.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #27,193 of 29,660
Even black metal sounds amazing on speakers. Listen to Burzum's Filosofem with a good system and it's fan-fuggin-tastic. I have no idea what dude's talking about.

Well, Filosofem is different sounding than anything he did.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #27,194 of 29,660
Well, Filosofem is different sounding than anything he did.

Granted, but it's also the "worst recorded" of the bunch. That's the one where he wasn't even using amplifiers and his microphone was just a broken POS plugged into a radio.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #27,195 of 29,660
Granted, but it's also the "worst recorded" of the bunch. That's the one where he wasn't even using amplifiers and his microphone was just a broken POS plugged into a radio.

There is nothing you can say which will change the transforming thing that album is. It’s my favorite. I have it on vinyl as we speak. It has atmosphere?

It’s his masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back