Lets Talk Metal
Apr 1, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #26,251 of 29,694

This is such a great description of so many bands. That's why I always like it when a band is the opposite: starting off not so impressive, then becoming vicious!

Lovely when this happens!
Often when bands start out "strong", the first album or two are basically "greatest hits" collections - songs written in a period spanning several years, or even a decade, whilst maturing and polishing the tracks. Just thought I chimed in, not related to Opeth though!

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #26,252 of 29,694
I haven't mentioned audio gear here in awhile. In the past three months alone I got five figures worth of it! (Not all at the same time, though. haha.) The Elear, HD 600, HD 800, HE500, LCD-2F, LCD-X, NightHawk, SZ2000, and TH900 are some notable ones.

But the keeper for me is the Koss ESP950. Electrostats just sound so much more real to me than everything else. What's interesting is that the ESP sold for $2,000 in 1992. Adjusting for inflation, that's like $3,500! So it's pretty cool how much more affordable it is now. ($1,000 MSRP and I lucked out and got mine new for $650.) The lifetime warranty and lightweight comfort are nice bonuses as well.

Lovely when this happens!
Often when bands start out "strong", the first album or two are basically "greatest hits" collections - songs written in a period spanning several years, or even a decade, whilst maturing and polishing the tracks.

That's kind of like how it is with my own songs too. I started composing one of my first metal songs when I was only twelve years old. Many years later and I'm still slowly putting together material for various projects that may or may not come to be.

And here's...something.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #26,254 of 29,694
I'm actually liking Mastodon's Emperor of Sands on a stream. It's a prog hard rock record, that's all. I think you have to accept that if you want to listen to this album. I'm in agreement about Leviathan. It's one of my favorite albums of all time and helped pushed me into listening to DM when I was listening to a lot of stoner/doom/post metal. I liked Blood Mountain pretty well and Crack the Sky was their last really good album IMO.

I did not like Hunter or Once Around Round the Sun much at all. I think the AMG review gets it about right, the new one is not going to touch their earlier stuff but is a better version of their recent period. Taken as a progish hard rock album with the popish melodic hooks of their recent output, I think it's surprisingly good. There's a bit more muscle and kind of a blues rock vibe I'm OK with.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #26,255 of 29,694

Opeth and Mastodon

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #26,256 of 29,694
[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fjxPRd70vUA [/VIDEO]

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #26,257 of 29,694

Here's Nightrage's new album The Venomous that came out yesterday. I put together the playlist myself. If you're not familiar with this melodic death metal band, I'd recommend playing their first three albums before this one. (Tomas Lindberg of At The Gates fame used to be their vocalist.)

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #26,258 of 29,694

Here's Nightrage's new album The Venomous that came out yesterday. I put together the playlist myself. If you're not familiar with this melodic death metal band, I'd recommend playing their first three albums before this one. (Tomas Lindberg of At The Gates fame used to be their vocalist.)

FYI all the songs have been taken down, but thanks for letting us know! Quite liked their previous albums, didn't know they are coming out with a new one. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #26,259 of 29,694
  FYI all the songs have been taken down, but thanks for letting us know! Quite liked their previous albums, didn't know they are coming out with a new one. 

No, everything is still there. Must be technical issues on your end. Personally I don't like their later albums much. Their first three are great, though.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #26,263 of 29,694
  Does anyone else here use Tidal? It would be dope if you could shoot me some playlists via Tidal. @musicalchemist: are you on Tidal?

Sorry, I don't use TIDAL, as I almost exclusively play my own music collection...but I do think it's the best music streaming service for audiophiles.

If you're looking for something specific, just ask, and perhaps people here can help.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #26,264 of 29,694
Spotify/Google over here. Even when I was using my LCD-2 with a Lyr, I couldn't tell 320kbps vs lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back