Lets Talk Metal
Mar 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #26,206 of 29,661
@Rockin_Zombie, Vainaja always has awesome production. Kind of a cross between bm and blackened dm.

Thanks for the suggestion, listening to the album Verenvalaja right now, quite like it! The vocals are downright evil, sick!

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #26,207 of 29,661
Thanks for the suggestion, listening to the album Verenvalaja right now, quite like it! The vocals are downright evil, sick!

Ya man, his vocals are sooooooo cool. Only vocals I like better are the old opeth growls. All Vainaja stuff has great production (like DR in double digits). Also check out Lantern II Morphorsis (bm great production) and for some death was very high production check out Horrendous Ecdysis.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #26,209 of 29,661
I have thoroughly enjoyed this

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #26,210 of 29,661

Save this playlist link and refer to it whenever you want to get to know black metal better. It's pretty diverse.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/23325#post_12644193

Interesting choices, definitely showcases some diversity. Any reason why you excluded "classics" or bm "standards" from various bands? They'd definitely be in my list of suggestions that is.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #26,211 of 29,661
  Interesting choices, definitely showcases some diversity. Any reason why you excluded "classics" or bm "standards" from various bands? They'd definitely be in my list of suggestions that is.

I included some classics. But those are gonna be on any old black metal recommendation list, and they're not as diverse. Feel free to list whatever you want, though. Oh, and if you meant the tracks instead of the bands, I selected just a few tracks I happen to like the most.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #26,212 of 29,661

I included some classics. But those are gonna be on any old black metal recommendation list, and they're not as diverse. Feel free to list whatever you want, though. Oh, and if you meant the tracks instead of the bands, I selected just a few tracks I happen to like the most.

Yup, meant the tracks. Some suggestions might be even considered blasphemous, if you know what I mean.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #26,213 of 29,661
This has been growing me over the course of the last couple weeks (was just officially out Fri). More interesting proggy arrangments, better singing, not just from doomsters!

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/heartless" href="http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/heartless">Heartless by PALLBEARER</a>

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #26,215 of 29,661
  Yup, meant the tracks. Some suggestions might be even considered blasphemous, if you know what I mean.

You mean deviating from the "trve kvlt" nonsense? I don't care about that crap. I only care about the music. And the whole point was to make it diverse, not just have a bunch of "classic" tracks that sound too similar. I originally put it together to show @sludgeogre that not all black metal is monotonous. If you don't like my playlist, you are free to make your own.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #26,216 of 29,661

You mean deviating from the "trve kvlt" nonsense? I don't care about that crap. I only care about the music. And the whole point was to make it diverse, not just have a bunch of "classic" tracks that sound too similar. I originally put it together to show @sludgeogre that not all black metal is monotonous. If you don't like my playlist, you are free to make your own.

There's that and tying tracks to the unbelievable evolution by some of the bands into the post-black metal sound, which seemed to be neglected! Nvm, I got my answer!

Let's go with a relatively new track, paying homage to the older classics, Jari Mäenpää in guitars!

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #26,217 of 29,661
  There's that and tying tracks to the unbelievable evolution by some of the bands into the post-black metal sound, which seemed to be neglected! Nvm, I got my answer!

If you are trying to make a point, it is unclear. If you are implying that some of the tracks are not black metal, that is not true, as they all are.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #26,218 of 29,661

Considering a lot of the classics all represent the same sound, I think it's fair to only include a couple of them.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #26,219 of 29,661

If you are trying to make a point, it is unclear. If you are implying that some of the tracks are not black metal, that is not true, as they all are.

Considering a lot of the classics all represent the same sound, I think it's fair to only include a couple of them.

Yeah, the list of recommendations is a collection of personal favorites, I do realize that, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying that the list should be strictly tracks from the early Norwegian black metal scene, vice versa; if you would want to showcase diversity, there would be classics, along with tracks further from the earliest releases of the bands. Skipping Helvete/Deathlike Silence Productions in a list like this seems odd, as the influence is unquestionable, and how diverse can you get with discographies of Bathory, Arcturus, Ulver, Burzum, Samael, Satyricon, (to name the few from your list which seemed to catch my eye), if the intention is to *get to know black metal better*, in a diverse way! Get my point now?

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #26,220 of 29,661
  Yeah, the list of recommendations is a collection of personal favorites, I do realize that, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying that the list should be strictly tracks from the early Norwegian black metal scene, vice versa; if you would want to showcase diversity, there would be classics, along with tracks further from the earliest releases of the bands. Skipping Helvete/Deathlike Silence Productions in a list like this seems odd, as the influence is unquestionable, and how diverse can you get with discographies of Bathory, Arcturus, Ulver, Burzum, Samael, Satyricon, (to name the few from your list which seemed to catch my eye), if the intention is to *get to know black metal better*, in a diverse way! Get my point now?

So...your point is...I didn't include bands/songs you like and therefore my list is invalid? It's just my own playlist. The point (my point, that is) is to have various styles represented, not to be a comprehensive overview of the entire black metal scene or whatever you were expecting. Anything you could want to add on there would not make it any more diverse; it would just be more of the same styles in one way or another. And did you actually hear all the songs I listed? If not, you have no basis for assessing its diversity. Like I said, if you want your own playlist, you can make it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back