Lets Talk Metal
Nov 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #24,871 of 29,656
The new Vader is here. Maybe as expected no movie soundtrack strings, just straight to the metal. The sound is much like the very last live DVD only the recording is amazing. The drums will jump out at anyone, being razor sharp and tight as anything. A nice set of songs and track order. For many it's tough it's not better than 2011's masterpiece ....Welcome To The Morbid Reich, still I personally didn't expect that bettered.

All and all we get a tight as schiit professional production, showing Vader being Vader. It's way better than the last album due to being more direct and focused.

9.5 out of 10

You pretty much single handedly convinced me to add Vader to my listening when Tibi Et Igni dropped and then I picked up Morid Reich-great stuff. I see AMG just gave the new one gushing review. I'm going to listen this one for sure.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/vader-the-empire-review/

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #24,872 of 29,656
You pretty much single handedly convinced me to add Vader to my listening when Tibi Et Igni dropped and then I picked up Morid Reich-great stuff. I see AMG just gave the new one gushing review. I'm going to listen this one for sure.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/vader-the-empire-review/

Yes, read that review. They are very direct now. The band concentrate on the slight groove and technical aspect as well as throwing in great leads and song structures. The cinamatic washes have been going on for at least 10 years, maybe more, so to see that aspect gone signified change.

It's a little thin, like mentioned in the AMG review, I maybe would have liked it with a slightly more pronounced bass track. But it's such a great album, no reason to not love it. My cure is to play it on my reference system, but change to bass heavy headphones, which makes it sound just right.

When you hear the album, ask yourself if you have heard better drumming and better drum production this year. It's not a showboat style just down to earth in place and fast.

I think the album grows with each listen. It's 100% accessible right away, but more listens reveal more details. IMO

The new thing is this thrash style chuga-chuga guitar style. Got-a-love it! Vader being Vader.

[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpWmWo0nJE [/VIDEO]

The most consistent band in death metal history. That's a fact. Every album is good or fricking great.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #24,873 of 29,656
611780.jpg

Remastered vinyl box set coming next month.

http://www.centurymedia.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=17343&IdCompany=3
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/In_Flames/1993-2011/611780

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #24,874 of 29,656
I have Catch 33 by Meshuggah.  It has a lot of pops and pauses throughout the album.  Track 1 has a pop pretty early in the track.  Did I get a bad copy?  I downloaded it online don't know where since it has been too long.  I just saw Meshuggah at a heavy metal festival and started listening to them a lot more.  I have all but their latest album.  II have had it for a long time.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #24,875 of 29,656
I've been listening to the new Khemmis, Dark Tranquility, but mostly Ulcerate. To get my head right, I went back and listened to some DSO, BAN and Gorguts. Then, it clicked. Pretty amazing, and challenging album. Also, for a more laid back vibe and not strictly metal the new Russian Circles is really good.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #24,877 of 29,656
  I have Catch 33 by Meshuggah.  It has a lot of pops and pauses throughout the album.  Track 1 has a pop pretty early in the track.  Did I get a bad copy?  I downloaded it online don't know where since it has been too long.  I just saw Meshuggah at a heavy metal festival and started listening to them a lot more.  I have all but their latest album.  II have had it for a long time.

I bought that CD before the official release date because I noticed the not-so-hidden boxes in a store and they let me buy one. There shouldn't be any pops. You could just be listening to a bad CD or vinyl rip. (Probably the latter, as they do tend to have pops and other noise.) I generally recommend buying the CDs when you really like a band. Here's a stream of the album so you can hear it has no pops.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #24,878 of 29,656

I bought that CD before the official release date because I noticed the not-so-hidden boxes in a store and they let me buy one. There shouldn't be any pops. You could just be listening to a bad CD or vinyl rip. (Probably the latter, as they do tend to have pops and other noise.) I generally recommend buying the CDs when you really like a band. Here's a stream of the album so you can hear it has no pops.

Thanks for the help!  Sounds like I got a very bad download. Rock on!

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #24,879 of 29,656

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #24,883 of 29,656
  I dont even own a turntable but I need this.

ooo maaaannn!!!
I'm drooling over remastered The Jester Race album the most

Yeah, I don't have one either but bought around 50 vinyl LPs and EPs, mostly rare metal. I want to rip them in the highest quality I can before playing them. Unlike CDs, which you can make a perfect rip from using even a cheap CD drive, vinyl rips are only as good as the analog system you use to rip them...and analog systems can get real expensive real quick, so I dunno what I'll do when that time comes.

I bet they'll eventually release a digital and/or CD version of the new remasters. The older albums were already remastered at least once for various reissues. There are also fan remasters out there.

Speaking of masters...I noticed that the new master of Abigor's Quintessence has a low price on the Bandcamp page...but upon further investigation, it would appear that you can't actually buy it. The 3.33 Euros per month subscription includes "all the new music Avantgarde Music creates, including 15 back-catalog releases", but you can't choose which ones, and it's not in the list. The vinyl option (which does include a digital download) is sold out from that page. I'm waiting for the time when they let you buy it as a digital download alone. Grr...

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #24,884 of 29,656
Yeah, I don't have one either but bought around 50 vinyl LPs and EPs, mostly rare metal. I want to rip them in the highest quality I can before playing them. Unlike CDs, which you can make a perfect rip from using even a cheap CD drive, vinyl rips are only as good asa the analog system you use to rip them...and analog systems can get real expensive real quick, so I dunno what I'll do when that time comes.

I bet they'll eventually release a digital and/or CD version of the new remasters. The older albums were already remastered at least once for various reissues. There are also fan remasters out there.

Speaking of masters...I noticed that the new master of Abigor's Quintessence has a low price on the Bandcamp page...but upon further investigation, it would appear that you can't actually buy it. The 3.33 Euros per month subscription includes "all the new music Avantgarde Music creates, including 15 back-catalog releases", but you can't choose which ones, and it's not in the list. The vinyl option (which does include a digital download) is sold out from that page. I'm waiting for the time when they let you buy it as a digital download alone. Grr...

I used to be interested in remastered music, but 1/2 the time it's only louder and more compressed. Finding only a few truly good remastered CDs, it's really a waist of time and money, basicly marketing from the record companies. Getting a different amp or a better set of headphones is going to be 1000 times more profitable than some 2016 brick wall remaster. I like vinyl but all it is is a more natural tone in places and sometimes smoother. Of course they will release these on CD, but they want to cash in on the fact that people will pay for vinyl. Due to In Flames vinyl being rare, they will be a bonus for fans who just never had a chance to play In Flames vinyl, and the novelity of it all.

The covers will look cool and they may sound great, but it's a cash grab in a way. So much vinyl today is made from CD digital remasters and does not sound right. It's vinyl but has a digital sound just being processed for vinyl wrong. Though at times new metal vinyl has a great remaster and is EQed right and leveled correct for vinyl and does not sound thin but high dynamic range. Though in my limited experience with new metal it has been a 50/50 chance, at best.

Edit:
Well it does say the albums are specially remastered for vinyl, a good thing. It does not say that the records are 180 gram, which at times is a clue that they are not the best. Still I've had some non-180 gram pressing which sound great.

Still for the price I'd have better luck with Massdrop Fostex Purpleheart headphones instead.

Though the price is pretty good for the vinyl stack on preorder.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #24,885 of 29,656
I used to be interested in remastered music, but 1/2 the time it's only louder and more compressed. Finding only a few truly good remastered CDs, it's really a waist of time and money, basicly marketing from the record companies. Getting a different amp or a better set of headphones is going to be 1000 times more profitable than some 2016 brick wall remaster. I like vinyl but all it is is a more natural tone in places and sometimes smoother. Of course they will release these on CD, but they want to cash in on the fact that people will pay for vinyl. Due to In Flames vinyl being rare, they will be a bonus for fans who just never had a chance to play In Flames vinyl, and the novelity of it all.

While I certainly agree with your post as a whole, the bold is the reasoning behind my interest in the set. Actually just a few pages back we were talking about how the Lamb of God remasters were just louder and more distorted. I prefer the original of those albums much more. I'll be happy even if I only end up having some sweet metal vinyl to oogle at and show off to my friends who couldn't care less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back