Lets Talk Metal
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #22,951 of 29,701
I'm only asking if you have heard the NEW HD 800S, the new black one. I know your reference to the old one, I agree. It's just that I'm curious as to how much they "fixed" it?

Source stuff is completely very strange. I totally agree that there could be a difference. The fact that you found it, is maybe a hole in our understanding of computer audio. There is a gray area we live where we don't want to come off as silly talking about USB cables being different, and power off the grid sounding best from 2AM till 5AM, but it may be true.

The problem is after your think something is true you almost need a blind test to prove it because thinking can cause a reverse placebo. Every source sounds different to me. I have a couple laptops and USB sounds different out of them.

Still I found out I was not imagining things because WASAPI cleaned up my Windows laptop issues, so they were there. Before that I would swear Apple was better, but now with WASAPI both are much closer.

The truth is our hearing and understanding of the pace of music is much more sensitive than maybe many think. I'm always surprised, but at times I get confused. I have a CD and a MP3 of the same album and for what ever reason can't tell if the CD sounds better, even though it should. You would think placebo would at least make you think MP3 was lesser sounding, but not with the self-test I did.

The stuff that we question is why those USB signal purification systems seem to work. The fact that it was only 2012, four years ago when people still did not know if asynchronous was better. Then even now you have people with old DACs from 2000 that they use that they like best with a CD transport and digital RCA or Optical, boycotting USB.

The facts I think is everyone is susceptible to different flaws. Some notice timing more, some like less detail and warm DACs, will still others wanting cold, clear detailed DACs.

There is maybe no test, unless you get the same file on both drives and have a friend switch them and see if you really can hear a difference. I skimmed over your original post in the thread you started, but did not see that.

I never listen to music off external hard drives so it does not effect me. Still you would think there would be more noticing it. The other question is if the issues could be trimmed-up with a USB filter, like that Wyrd thing Schiit audio sells.

Edit:

I just read your thread on external hard drives, you should implement WASAPI support. It could maybe clear up your issues getting your files from external drives.

Also you should just let members ask you to do double blind tests as we have all fallen victim to our wrong perceptions at times, we are all humans here.

Still if you are right it's a big deal for the community in general. Thousands and thousands of members investing thousands maybe millions in better equipment for better sound but have a digital bottleneck right at the start.

Every system is its own thing. WASAPI takes 3 seconds to set up, you should.

Well, you kept saying "HD800s" which seemed to just be referring to the HD 800 in the plural sense instead of the new HD 800 S. (If you look at the official info, they put all three spaces in the name to differentiate it more from when people refer to the HD 800 in the plural.) This is why you need to be very specific with me, as I am extremely meticulous. At any rate, I already said I am not interested in either. The only headphones I am still interested in are the HE 1 (new Orpheus), SR-009, SR-007MK2, SR-L700, and Abyss.

hehe. There's just something weird going on with my external hard drive array that interferes with the sound, even though it's the same files and playback settings, with the only difference being whether the files are played back from the external or internal drives. No point trying to figure out what the problem is, because I'm not a technical expert and don't have a measuring rig either, so it would just be fruitless speculation. But it literally sounds like three times better!

You realize ASIO is just as bit-perfect as WASAPI, right? I use ASIO because it is "the most direct (and normally best) way to communicate with" my DAC. But I never heard a difference between WASAPI, ASIO, and KS. (All bit-perfect.) In other words, I've already tried everything and am very familiar with my system.

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #22,952 of 29,701

Well, you kept saying "HD800s" which seemed to just be referring to the HD 800 in the plural sense instead of the new HD 800 S. (If you look at the official info, they put all three spaces in the name to differentiate it more from when people refer to the HD 800 in the plural.) This is why you need to be very specific with me, as I am extremely meticulous. At any rate, I already said I am not interested in either. The only headphones I am still interested in are the HE 1 (new Orpheus), SR-009, SR-007MK2, SR-L700, and Abyss.

hehe. There's just something weird going on with my external hard drive array that interferes with the sound, even though it's the same files and playback settings, with the only difference being whether the files are played back from the external or internal drives. No point trying to figure out what the problem is, because I'm not a technical expert and don't have a measuring rig either, so it would just be fruitless speculation. But it literally sounds like three times better!

You realize ASIO is just as bit-perfect as WASAPI, right? I use ASIO because it is "the most direct (and normally best) way to communicate with" my DAC. But I never heard a difference between WASAPI, ASIO, and KS. (All bit-perfect.) In other words, I've already tried everything and am very familiar with my system.

Just did a bunch of looking around and it seems your right about asio and wasapi.

Here is a loaner program for the new HD800S. Note they don't put a space after the number? Still you should try it. Why not just give it a chance?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805055/sennheiser-hd800s-loaner-program-ttvjaudio-com#post_12505867

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #22,953 of 29,701
I'm only asking if you have heard the NEW HD 800S, the new black one. I know your reference to the old one, I agree. It's just that I'm curious as to how much they "fixed" it?

Source stuff is completely very strange. I totally agree that there could be a difference. The fact that you found it, is maybe a hole in our understanding of computer audio. There is a gray area we live where we don't want to come off as silly talking about USB cables being different, and power off the grid sounding best from 2AM till 5AM, but it may be true.

The problem is after your think something is true you almost need a blind test to prove it because thinking can cause a reverse placebo. Every source sounds different to me. I have a couple laptops and USB sounds different out of them.

Still I found out I was not imagining things because WASAPI cleaned up my Windows laptop issues, so they were there. Before that I would swear Apple was better, but now with WASAPI both are much closer.

The truth is our hearing and understanding of the pace of music is much more sensitive than maybe many think. I'm always surprised, but at times I get confused. I have a CD and a MP3 of the same album and for what ever reason can't tell if the CD sounds better, even though it should. You would think placebo would at least make you think MP3 was lesser sounding, but not with the self-test I did.

The stuff that we question is why those USB signal purification systems seem to work. The fact that it was only 2012, four years ago when people still did not know if asynchronous was better. Then even now you have people with old DACs from 2000 that they use that they like best with a CD transport and digital RCA or Optical, boycotting USB.

The facts I think is everyone is susceptible to different flaws. Some notice timing more, some like less detail and warm DACs, will still others wanting cold, clear detailed DACs.

There is maybe no test, unless you get the same file on both drives and have a friend switch them and see if you really can hear a difference. I skimmed over your original post in the thread you started, but did not see that.

I never listen to music off external hard drives so it does not effect me. Still you would think there would be more noticing it. The other question is if the issues could be trimmed-up with a USB filter, like that Wyrd thing Schiit audio sells.

Edit:

I just read your thread on external hard drives, you should implement WASAPI support. It could maybe clear up your issues getting your files from external drives.

Also you should just let members ask you to do double blind tests as we have all fallen victim to our wrong perceptions at times, we are all humans here.

Still if you are right it's a big deal for the community in general. Thousands and thousands of members investing thousands maybe millions in better equipment for better sound but have a digital bottleneck right at the start.

Every system is its own thing. WASAPI takes 3 seconds to set up, you should.

The 800 S are seriously awesome cans. If I have time tonight, it will be old-school Heavy Metal, circa 1971 through 1974, being played on them. :D

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #22,954 of 29,701
  Just did a bunch of looking around and it seems your right about asio and wasapi.

Here is a loaner program for the new HD800S. Note they don't put a space after the number? Still you should try it. Why not just give it a chance?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805055/sennheiser-hd800s-loaner-program-ttvjaudio-com#post_12505867

You have to be "serious about purchasing one" to qualify. I do not want it.

The *official* info, I said; not some dealer.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-resolution-headphones-3d-audio-hd-800-s

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #22,955 of 29,701

You have to be "serious about purchasing one" to qualify. I do not want it.

The *official* info, I said; not some dealer.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-resolution-headphones-3d-audio-hd-800-s

OK, Got ya.

One other test I have for you is Apple with Amarra playback system v3.0. 

Just barrow an Apple and get the trial of Amarra. It lets you play FLAC and sounds best to my ears, just the most smooth?

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #22,956 of 29,701
I still say Johnny Cash invented the concept of death metal.

"I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"

Death. Metal.

As far as music, I thought this was really cool. I was born in 85 so I came to metal through my cousin and brother who gave me their old Kiss tapes, which I became addicted to, and later attached myself to my brother's music and grew from there. Awesome to hear what it was like to experience Reign In Blood when it came out. Puts it into perspective.

Hard to explain how different it was. Some have even gone so far as to call it the first extreme metal album. Still even though it was somewhat underground it was mixed by Rick Rubin and sold a ton, so maybe it was Slayer going mainstream? The other point I failed to make is the album was and is perfect in the fact that there are no weak songs. The original album was also a perfect length. IMO

But it had feeling of almost spirituality to it. Every song just kept getting better as the album progressed. I just don't always find albums which are so strong at so many levels. They did it with very few effects. They had reverb on the tail end of vocals and the album was of the true Slayer sound like early albums. The drums and guitar sound remain consistent from start to finish and it has a roughness and unpolished charm and vibe like a live show. IMO

Maybe the sound results in very simple use of effects? In a way it was a rebellion against what was mainstream metal. MTV had Ratt and KISS along with all these heavy guitar effects. So to rebel they had to be faster, have extreme lyrics and have the guitar sound more raw and unprocessed.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #22,957 of 29,701
[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XI4saZ4zlro [/VIDEO]

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #22,958 of 29,701
Oh heck yeah, but they were referring to motorcycles, not the music. there's a lot of debate on when the term was first used in reference to a style of music. Sabbath's "Paranoid" comes to mind, but I can't back it up yet. It might have been applied to Blue Cheer or Iron Butterfly though. Work is getting in the way of this vital research, LOL
mad.gif

I actually take this topic seriously, BTW.

I remember the early 70's - first album: Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida-Live (1970), then the self titled Black Sabbath (the best and "heaviest" of them all, and father of doom...), Deep Purple's 'In Rock', Sabbat's 'Paranoid' and 'Master of Reality', Zepps - self titled II... I remember we called them HEAVY Rock. And then, they got "softer"  ( Sabbath's IV and Deep Purple's 'Machine Head' and Zepps III, and drifted to what we called HARD Rock...

I also remember the term "Heavy Metal" began to be used only in the second half of the seventies - the year 1974, as you mentioned, sounds like a plausible year...

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #22,959 of 29,701
If I could only recommend two albums to someone interested in metal, whether they're a newbie or veteran, it would be these two, by the same band, Zao. The first one is the album that got me into extreme music (though I had heard various metal bands long before then), and the second is the album released after that one. Their other albums aren't nearly as good, in my opinion. These two are mandatory listening for any metalhead.

Although they're metalcore, this sounds closer to black metal than your typical metalcore band, and there are influences from other extreme metal genres too, such as death and thrash. It's interesting how the metalcore genre features material ranging from very extreme stuff to bands that sound more like pop punk. Worry not: this is definitely on the extreme, scary-sounding end of that spectrum.

Both of these are playlists with the entire albums, so you can just press play. Do yourself a favor and listen to them both when you have time, without skipping tracks, and don't reply to this post until you've heard it all!

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #22,960 of 29,701
Sorry about the lyric video,

I think this sounds good recording wise, but I am not sure if I like em yet

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #22,961 of 29,701
Sorry about the lyric video,

I think this sounds good recording wise, but I am not sure if I like em yet

There is now a hot bed of tech death in LA California. I swear it never ends. Have your heard their 2013 EP?

Did you see their 360 degree video on YouTube. How do you view that? 6 42inch monitors in a circle around you?

[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e47Nus51DW8 [/VIDEO]

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #22,962 of 29,701
There is now a hot bed of tech death in LA California. I swear it never ends. Have your heard their 2013 EP?

Did you see their 360 degree video on YouTube. How do you view that? 6 42inch monitors in a circle around you?

you can use a vr headset on a mobile :). Angry Metal Guy, calls them to be similar to Faceless, but i could hear Necrophagist

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #22,963 of 29,701
  you can use a vr headset on a mobile :). Angry Metal Guy, calls them to be similar to Faceless, but i could hear Necrophagist

More!

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #22,964 of 29,701
@vipervick

This post's for you. Awhile ago I said I would share some better gothic metal with ya, and here it is. I selected just a handful of tracks, so you should be able to hear it all relatively quickly.

I'm assuming you're already familiar with Cradle Of Filth. They're sort of a mixture of extreme gothic metal, symphonic black metal, and heavy metal.

On that note, none of these bands are "pure" gothic metal; they all mix in other styles.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #22,965 of 29,701
  @vipervick

This post's for you. Awhile ago I said I would share some better gothic metal with ya, and here it is. I selected just a handful of tracks, so you should be able to hear it all relatively quickly.

I'm assuming you're already familiar with Cradle Of Filth. They're sort of a mixture of extreme gothic metal, symphonic black metal, and heavy metal.

On that note, none of these bands are "pure" gothic metal; they all mix in other styles.

Funny enough, I own albums from all three of those artists LOL. I was a bigger fan in the early 2000's. This is definitely the better side of goth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back