Lets Talk Metal
Jan 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #21,871 of 29,690
Oldfield re-recorded it in 2013, note-for-note. It's literally a different recording, on different equipment.

The music has been resold at least four times in a different way, if you look at Wikipedia.

I only had the stereo and quad 1st pressings with the girl on the lable like shown. The record was everywhere in everyones house back then.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #21,872 of 29,690
Oldfield re-recorded it in 2013, note-for-note. It's literally a different recording, on different equipment.

The music has been resold at least four times in a different way, if you look at Wikipedia.

I only had the stereo and quad 1st pressings with the girl on the lable like shown. The record was everywhere in everyones house back then.

That, and 'Frampton Comes Alive' a few years later :D

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #21,873 of 29,690

That, and 'Frampton Comes Alive' a few years later :D

My folks had The Exorcist paperback book and even the cover photo of the demon used to scar the hell out of me. I would not read it. I had to flip the book over if I saw it.

Then there was this sadistic old lady baby-sitter which could tell stories about ghosts, occult and paranormal phenomena, just to see how freaked out a kid could get.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #21,874 of 29,690
That era in America was wild. The movie was just so over the top. People getting sick and fainting. The music also seemed to have an evil to it. It may only be by association, I don't know. It was the first hit record for the new label Virgin and became the cornerstone of early success. I the first pressings are audiophile grade stuff.

My folks had The Exorcist paperback book and even the cover photo of the demon used to scar the hell out of me. I would not read it. I had to flip the book over if I saw it.

Then there was this sadistic old lady baby-sitter which could tell stories about ghosts, occult and paranormal phenomena, just to see how freaked out a kid could get.

I enjoyed the movie and the book. Believe it or not, I had a high school chemistry teacher who grew up with Linda Blair!

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #21,875 of 29,690
I enjoyed the movie and the book. Believe it or not, I had a high school chemistry teacher who grew up with Linda Blair!

The DVD with her walking down the stairs upside down is wild.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #21,876 of 29,690
The DVD with her walking down the stairs upside down is wild.

Yeah, I've seen that movie so many times, including the uncut version. I remember being at a party once where the film was being shown. Some people (who had never seen it before) were making fun of how not scary it was...but soon enough, those same people were so scared they left before seeing half of it! hahaha. The sequels/prequels were hit or miss. Had a few interesting moments, but meh. You should watch this Dinosaurs episode that is a spoof of The Exorcist:

Since it's YouTube, the audio and video may be messed up, so if you need to look it up elsewhere, here's the info:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_406:_Terrible_Twos

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #21,877 of 29,690
It was interesting to see the 1973 documentary about how scared the people were at the theatre. They tried to explain that it was the Catholics that were the most troubled by the movie. The fact that people would wait four hours and at times out in the snow but then run out of the theatre was interesting.

People had never seen effects like that too. In all it was a much more innocent time when folks had a different level of what scared them. Then came Evil Dead which was scary in it's own way.

If you contemplate both movies, you come to realize that Evil Dead would never exist if they had not made The Exorcist first.

Interesting too, I've talked with Cathloic priests about it and they say it never ever happens and it's 100% Hollywood?:wink:

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #21,878 of 29,690
Then came Evil Dead which was scary in it's own way.

lol, Evil Dead was like horror-comedy. My favorite part was in the second one where

the guy had to cut off his own possessed hand and was like, "Who's...laughing...now?" (While crying. haha)

How fitting that we're discussing such things now. The new Mortiis music video is loosely related:

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #21,879 of 29,690
lol, Evil Dead was like horror-comedy. My favorite part was in the second one where

the guy had to cut off his own possessed hand and was like, "Who's...laughing...now?" (While crying. haha)

How fitting that we're discussing such things now. The new Mortiis music video is loosely related:

On my side of the world Black Metal Bands are actually comical. I don't know why? They just are.

Just makes you appreciate what we have from the Nordics. I'm just saying.............does this look like Halloween or what?

https://soundcloud.com/xiejia/suicide

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #21,881 of 29,690

Found the paper interesting but you can tell the guy was very proud of himself like he only wanted to talk about certain bands. I know the subject of BM advancing is a giant, giant subject but the writer only talked about the bands he wanted to, like only they were the changers, when in reality he left out 98% of what really took place. His complete fragment of knowledge is to him complete when it is not and misleading to him himself.

Example: He goes on about his timeline from 93-95 to 2000 and mentions two or three bands, not really saying anything but hot air. He goes on later and backtracks with a couple bands but never going into exactly why or how they changed the scene, basically a name dropper. Truthful in that Burzum reinvented himself later on but I guess that name was not obscure enough to make it into his talk even though he single handedly invented atmospheric BM. Ah? A slight move forward, slightly??

A person shouldn't write an article like they think they know what they are talking about when clueless. Literally it does not even qualify as a persons opinion it's so simplistic.

To prove my point my next post will be my top 50 albums that moved it along.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #21,882 of 29,690
Found the paper interesting but you can tell the guy was very proud of himself like he only wanted to talk about certain bands. I know the subject of BM advancing is a giant, giant subject but the writer only talked about the bands he wanted to, like only they were the changers, when in reality he left out 98% of what really took place. His complete fragment of knowledge is to him complete when it is not and misleading to him himself.

Example: He goes on about his timeline from 93-95 to 2000 and mentions two or three bands, not really saying anything but hot air. He goes on later and backtracks with a couple bands but never going into exactly why or how they changed the scene, basically a name dropper. Truthful in that Burzum reinvented himself later on but I guess that name was not obscure enough to make it into his talk even though he single handedly invented atmospheric BM. Ah? A slight move forward, slightly??

A person shouldn't write an article like they think they know what they are talking about when clueless. Literally it does not even qualify as a persons opinion it's so simplistic.

To prove my point my next post will be my top 50 albums that moved it along.

Bravo \m/

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #21,883 of 29,690
That, and 'Frampton Comes Alive' a few years later
biggrin.gif

wait, what about FCA?

I had the bluray of the FCA 35 tour and its amazing

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #21,884 of 29,690
Bravo \m/

Not to be elitist or anything but, everything experimental brings it along one album at a time.
Filosofem Burzum
Sons of Northern Darkness Immortal
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Mayhem
Grand Declaration of War Mayhem
Rebel Extravaganza Satyricon
Stormblast Dimmu Borgir
Thorns Thorns
666 International Dodheimsgard
Hellfire 1349
Sideshow Symphonies Arcturus
Isa Enslaved
Frost Enslaved