Lets Talk Metal
Jul 23, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #19,771 of 29,665
Very much enjoying Tau Cross formed from the ashes of Amebix.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #19,772 of 29,665
The new LOG is out. I have heard the whole thing 2x. I have to say they have returned to form. They have a new sound too?

Stopped liking their stuff after 2006? Still here is my ratings. IMO

Burn the Priest (1999) I give it a 5 out of 10

New American Gospel (2000) This gets an 8 out of 10

As the Palaces Burn (2003) 10 out of 10

Ashes of the Wake (2004) 10 out of 10

Sacrament (2006) 4 out of 10

Wrath (2009) 2 out of 10

Resolution (2012) 2 out of 10

VII: Sturm und Drang (2015) This is at an 8, but could climb to a 9 out of 10?

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #19,773 of 29,665
The new LOG is out. I have heard the whole thing 2x. I have to say they have returned to form. They have a new sound too?

Wrath (2009) 2 out of 10

Cheers!

Hm, what do you like so much about their 2003 and 2004 albums? I thought they were pretty mediocre. New American Gospel is the only Lamb Of God album I really love.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #19,774 of 29,665
Well, first remember that my opinions on those two records started in 2004. And at the time LOG was the new darling of the metal community and could do no wrong. There was a ton of press and the albums had great reviews. The band had just become big. New American Gospel, you could say was recorded and put out before a ton of people found out about LOG.

So that was the metal press and community in 2004.

On a personal note. The albums both show an advancement of American metal as a genre. Before LOG became big they practiced a ton and you can hear the tightness. They also took ideas from early metal like Slayer and reintroduced the ideas is a new way that was super refreshing at the time, and maybe still is.

The drumming is simply amazing, and the recording quality captures it. Drums are the hardest to get right and they nailed it on those two records. Just super crisp high-hats and huge drums in perfect timing. The guitars sound great and the songs have perfect size and mood. What can I say, I'm not a music writer. The 2 albums have a primal force to them and a super high tech ferocious edge you can only find at rare times with a band.

There are these build-ups and break downs only LOG does. Plus Randy Blythe is real in the vocal dept, you feel it somewhere inside, so he is communicating a message? ( Even in a fake Scottish accent, after he is buzzed):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In simple words they were innovative new and fresh for the times. Heck, I don't even know what genre they are labeled as, I don't care they are LOG genre?IMO

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #19,775 of 29,665
Well, first remember that my opinions on those two records started in 2004. And at the time LOG was the new darling of the metal community and could do no wrong. There was a ton of press and the albums had great reviews. The band had just become big. New American Gospel, you could say was recorded and put out before a ton of people found out about LOG.

So that was the metal press and community in 2004.

On a personal note. The albums both show an advancement of American metal as a genre. Before LOG became big they practiced a ton and you can hear the tightness. They also took ideas from early metal like Slayer and reintroduced the ideas is a new way that was super refreshing at the time, and maybe still is.

The drumming is simply amazing, and the recording quality captures it. Drums are the hardest to get right and they nailed it on those two records. Just super crisp high-hats and huge drums in perfect timing. The guitars sound great and the songs have perfect size and mood. What can I say, I'm not a music writer. The 2 albums have a primal force to them and a super high tech ferocious edge you can only find at rare times with a band.

There are these build-ups and break downs only LOG does. Plus Randy Blythe is real in the vocal dept, you feel it somewhere inside, so he is communicating a message? ( Even in a fake Scottish accent, after he is buzzed):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In simple words they were innovative new and fresh for the times. Heck, I don't even know what genre they are labeled as, I don't care they are LOG genre?IMO

Well, no offense, but to me, some of the songs on those albums sound like they're just playing the same note over and over again and barking like a dog. I do own them, so perhaps I'll listen more closely. haha. Also, they are classified as groove metal / metalcore.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #19,776 of 29,665

Wrath (2009) 2 out of 10

Cheers!

I was logging into the forum and expecting a comment from you regarding the new LOG :) Have to give it a listen. How's the song featuring Chino? And Randy is also doing clean vocals? :) What is going on?

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #19,777 of 29,665
I am getting so pumped for the new Black Dahlia Murder album, they put out another new song, Receipts, and its also amazing.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/07/22/the-black-dahlia-murder-receipt/

Didn't realize the new LoG was out, gonna have to check out the new album, liked all the songs they've put out so far.

EDIT:

Well damn, I had no idea that Wild Throne was putting out their first full length this year, and soon! If you remember their last EP, Money Maker, was on my year end list last year. So color me pumped for the new record, two songs are out for it so far.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #19,778 of 29,665
Well, no offense, but to me, some of the songs on those albums sound like they're just playing the same note over and over again and barking like a dog. I do own them, so perhaps I'll listen more closely. haha. Also, they are classified as groove metal / metalcore.

Well yes, they are stupid like that and yes there is a lot of repetition. It is maybe that those two records are both high tech and silly stupid at the same time? Somehow? Really though it was just a sound from 2004. The new album has parts which get close to the days. Heck maybe the new album is not that great. But it is getting a small taste of the what they used to be like that is so great in 2015.

I was logging into the forum and expecting a comment from you regarding the new LOG :) Have to give it a listen. How's the song featuring Chino? And Randy is also doing clean vocals? :) What is going on?

The album is a small departure for them. There is clean singing but the song gets heavy soon after the clean singing. The clean singing reminded me of Grunge? Lol.

I have only heard the album three times. It actually may be front-loaded and if so and I start to notice it, I'll lower my score. Still the album starts off hard and heavy!

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #19,780 of 29,665
  Anyone else a fan of Grave Declaration and Arcturus? I was blown away with the last albums of both bands

I think we're all Arcturus fans here.
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #19,781 of 29,665
I think we're all Arcturus fans here. :cool:

Yep, Arcturus were in the USA last month.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKXUvWnRjI

I need to make it to Maryland, or any of these next year!

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #19,782 of 29,665

For some reason I assumed you were very much into black metal. Well, although melodic death metal is my favorite, I know far more black metal bands. If you haven't heard their discographies already, I highly recommend Abigor and Antaeus.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Abigor/Nachthymnen_%28From_the_Twilight_Kingdom%29/3235
i remember this from the past-very good
i am very much into bm and know a lot of bands but no where near as many as you m8

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #19,784 of 29,665
  http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Abigor/Nachthymnen_%28From_the_Twilight_Kingdom%29/3235
i remember this from the past-very good
i am very much into bm and know a lot of bands but no where near as many as you m8

Thanks for the compliment!
bigsmile_face.gif

Never gets old....

I've loved this video since I first saw it on that Enhanced CD. The air drumming with the totally serious face is the best part.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #19,785 of 29,665
Devin is working on a symphony?!
Dayum.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/07/24/devin-townsend-has-written-another-dtp-record-finished-outline-for-symphony/

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back