Lets Talk Metal
Jul 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #19,802 of 29,635
See? He didn't see the posts, even when they were all over the place. :D

Just look at my custom title to see that I have no problem with getting new headphones. Gotta catch 'em all! ^_^

(And lol: read the parody song I made up and posted at the bottom of my profile.)

There are many different STAX models. Mine is an electret (variation of electrostatic with less technical capabilities in which the voltage is applied permanently instead of requiring it from the amp) from the 1980s. It actually has a more "physical" sound than most headphones I've heard, and sounds much more like real instruments. I haven't heard full-fledged electrostats yet, but they're supposed to be even better, and I already like this one more than all the non-electrostatic headphones I've heard, including ones that cost thousands. I am definitely getting the SR-009 (and other TOTL electrostats) once I can afford to.

That is the cool part of this hobby. Just like watch collecting, at times enthusiasts will gravitate to older stuff due to a certain trait. At a time when everyone was riding carbon bikes many started to ride old Italian steel bike frames. Cars enthusiasts too.

Some vintage heavy metal still competes with our modern top 10 albums. Still though ( I guess because I never sell stuff once I obtain gear? ) you may learn from having around some older stuff for reference?

All my different sub systems sound different to me all the time. I have no idea why. It may have to do with what I have been listening to prior, maybe the genre. At times there is a sonic magic and when there is I keep the system together for awhile and enjoy it. I have grouping that end up with a reputation for being a good system, but then I put it together and it does not sound as I remember? There are times when I put a combination of gear together that I never thought about and magic happens. So I guess I'm a tinkerer. That is what this hobby is for me?

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #19,803 of 29,635
Listening to Anorexia Nervosa at the moment. This can be a little fatiguing sometimes even for someone like me! I'm about to select something else to play, though I love this band.

I guess because I never sell stuff once I obtain gear?

I'm very demanding, so I return, sell, or trade gear rather quickly if it doesn't sufficiently meet my needs.

There are times when I put a combination of gear together that I never thought about and magic happens. So I guess I'm a tinkerer. That is what this hobby is for me?

My user name is actually a reference to that: experimenting with audio equipment to discover new sounds. (As well as music creation and Fullmetal Alchemist. lol)

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #19,804 of 29,635
To the death metal heads, if you haven't checked out Corpse Garden's Entheogen, I recommend it highly. It's very well written and full of great riffs. The more I listen to it, the higher it climbs on my year's favorite list.

https://corpsegarden.bandcamp.com/

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #19,805 of 29,635
  Listening to Anorexia Nervosa at the moment. This can be a little fatiguing sometimes even for someone like me! I'm about to select something else to play, though I love this band.

I'm very demanding, so I return, sell, or trade gear rather quickly if it doesn't sufficiently meet my needs.

My user name is actually a reference to that: experimenting with audio equipment to discover new sounds. (As well as music creation and Fullmetal Alchemist. lol)

Anorexia Nervosa, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Had a friend in high school that was a huge fan of them.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #19,806 of 29,635
  Anorexia Nervosa, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Had a friend in high school that was a huge fan of them.

Can you see the irony in the wording?
jecklinsmile.gif

Their last three albums are worth hearing. Here's a link, for reference: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Anorexia_Nervosa/2171

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #19,807 of 29,635
  Dis album is like a slightly boring and mid-tempo version of Obscura.
I was hoping for a bit more :-/

It could do without the Dyson Sphere I-IV part and some of the experimentation comes off as a bit incongruous with the rest of the album's sound, but it's groovy and has that otherworldly feeling which is missing from a lot of extreme music these days, to me anyway. They're onto something... to me anyway.

In other news, I only just found out about this album...

Unique vocal approach but apparently another 90's DM classic that wasn't on my radar.

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #19,808 of 29,635
I don't know how many folks were expecting Lamb Of God's new album to be as dam good as it is? I sure was not expecting what we have.
I give this a 9.5 out of a perfect 10. There is an amazing easy learning curve of about 4 listens and from then on the record is just pure entertainment!

Mini Review: In one word I would call this record pure, in two words, pure and real, in three words.... pure-fukeng metal!

I have not read a single review of the record. I really have no interest in what reviews say about this release. Still I can only guess they will/are positive, how could they not?

After some more listens the album just gets better. It makes my top 10 list for the year. Anyone who has liked LOG should just get the record. Every song is good. the album is the perfect size. Every song is good. The songs are in a good order, no fillers or extra BS, just a straight-up rocker!

Band is working as a complete team, the production is amazing and reeally showcases the creation we have here. The production fireworks are everywhere but not overdone. Big drum pans, double guitar mixs, vocal effects just in the right places. At times when your listening you think the production makes the record, but just then some great musicianship comes in to prove it is pure band talent. Raw over the top metal, still in control like only masters of their genre could.

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #19,810 of 29,635
It is definitely a return to form. If you had asked me before they started releasing songs, I would have said I expected nothing. But as they started releasing songs and they all turned out to be awesome, i knew the record was gonna be good.

It is a return to form as far as quality, but the form sounds a little different to me. They could not continue to be the band the were, they had to evolve but they are a new sounding band in maybe a 30% change?

Randy now does more creative singing, even talks like Slipknot? The touring together must have rubbed off?

I would say it's a return to form in that nothing is boring about the record? IMO

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #19,811 of 29,635
It is a return to form as far as quality, but the form sounds a little different to me. They could not continue to be the band the were, they had to evolve but they are a new sounding band in maybe a 30% change?

Randy now does more creative singing, even talks like Slipknot? The touring together must have rubbed off?

I would say it's a return to form in that nothing is boring about the record? IMO

Haha yeah, I meant a return to form in that it is good and worth listening to. Aka, not a waste of hard drive space :p

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #19,812 of 29,635
I'm looking for melodic metal bands with female leads, similar to Lacuna Coil and Swamped below. Any suggestions?

(I know nightwish, within temptation, evanscene etc. Any "hidden gems" out there?)

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #19,813 of 29,635

It could do without the Dyson Sphere I-IV part and some of the experimentation comes off as a bit incongruous with the rest of the album's sound, but it's groovy and has that otherworldly feeling which is missing from a lot of extreme music these days, to me anyway. They're onto something... to me anyway.

In other news, I only just found out about this album...

Unique vocal approach but apparently another 90's DM classic that wasn't on my radar.

You - and everyone else for that matter - should get the recent reissue with nice dynamic range (DR 11 according to the DR database): https://demilich.bandcamp.com/album/20th-adversary-of-emptiness

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #19,815 of 29,635

Dis album doe.

Dis album is like a slightly boring and mid-tempo version of Obscura.
I was hoping for a bit more :-/

Did you already hear the new Alustrium? At Angry Metal Guy, some draw comparisons to Alkaloid (although I'd say Alustrium is a bit more tech-oriented) so might be something you'd like if the Malkuth Grimoire fell short of your expectations: https://alustriumofficial.bandcamp.com/album/a-tunnel-to-eden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back