Lets Talk Metal
Sep 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #1,801 of 29,701
One of my favourite shirts, that I own, is Bloodbath's "Die by our rage". The drawing is actually really intricate and well done. Super high quality print and just plain bad-ass. 

Another one of my favourites is Carach Angren's "Hostis Humani Generis". Probably because I designed it myself and it was the first time I just saw random people at festivals and gigs running around in one of my own designs. Great feeling. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Among my other favourites (I own about 50 bandshirts, mostly death/black/doom) are Leviathan's "10th sub-level of suicide", Sunn 0)))'s "Black One", Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales" and Ulver's "Blood Inside" hoodie. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #1,803 of 29,701
I am stoked, Opeth Live at the Royal Albert Hall arrived this morning.

Scott

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,804 of 29,701
Sep 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,806 of 29,701
If you ove Blackwater Park and Opeth's older material, you will love this, very well done, just like all the live Opeth efforts to date. As usual Mikael likes to joke between songs, that bothers some...not me.

Scott

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #1,807 of 29,701
Speaking of Mikael, what's the deal with bloodbath? Are they ever going to tour again.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #1,808 of 29,701

Quote:
If you ove Blackwater Park and Opeth's older material, you will love this, very well done, just like all the live Opeth efforts to date. As usual Mikael likes to joke between songs, that bothers some...not me.

I'm definitely getting it. Their last live DVD is great, it's awesome to be able to hear Under The Weeping Moon, one of my favorites of theirs, without the limitations of Orchid's production. I also just picked up Megadeth's RIP Live, which is also great. Half the album is always on Megadeth's live set list, but I've never seen them play Five Magics or Polaris live. The only disappointment is that the rest of the set is basically standard Megadeth live fare. Some songs from Peace Sells that they don't normally play live would've been awesome. Also, Headcrusher was on the list for most of the tour, and yet didn't make the DVD, which is too bad as that's the one track from Endgame that I'd like to see live.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,809 of 29,701
Hmm, I don't know if I should go to Dark Tranquility + Insomnium concert or not... It is on a Wednesday, not the best day for a concert, but both bands are good.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,810 of 29,701
Btw, those t-shirts rock!  The Ministry one is pure gold man....that is just kick-arse.

@DaveBSC:  I've seen the RIP set now three times.  I am done seriously.  I don't want to hear RIP anymore at this point (and if you think Five Magics is great live, you should hear Lucretia!).

I can't wait to get the Opeth Set.  I am very excited about that.  I have NEVER seen Opeth (I had to miss the T5 show) and I am afraid I won't get the opportunity, don't know.  I heard in an interview they are thinking about a new CD for 2011 and then tour.

@Bullseye:  I wish I had your problem.  I am dying to see both bands (especially Insomnium).  Since Insomnium is on Century I think a headlining US tour in 2011 after the new album is a guarantee.

Given Bullseye comments, who is seeing what in the next couple of months?  I am seeing:

- Black Label Society/Clutch/Children of Bodom
- Devin Townsend
- Roger Waters
- Blind Guardian

Would have had seen Kamelot on that list but alas Roy apparently had a nervous breakdown or something like that according to local newspaper reports...new CD is just OK...still wishing for another Karma...

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #1,811 of 29,701

Quote:
@DaveBSC:  I've seen the RIP set now three times.  I am done seriously.  I don't want to hear RIP anymore at this point (and if you think Five Magics is great live, you should here Lucretia!).

Lucretia is an absolute classic. I actually have two versions of the song now, the one from the new DVD, and the one from the Warchest box set that has the DVD of their live show from '92. I also have Rude Awakening, and while Chris is a huge improvement over Al from The World Needs A Hero era, comparing RIP live or Blood In The Water (man do I have a lot of Megadeth live) to the Warchest DVD, you can't help but notice that Marty was the best.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,812 of 29,701

Lucretia is an absolute classic. I actually have two versions of the song now, the one from the new DVD, and the one from the Warchest box set that has the DVD of their live show from '92. I also have Rude Awakening, and while Chris is a huge improvement over Al from The World Needs A Hero era, comparing RIP live or Blood In The Water (man do I have a lot of Megadeth live) to the Warchest DVD, you can't help but notice that Marty was the best.

Wait, wait, wait...

According to AngryMetalGuy Megadeth is overrated and Marty is the sloppiest guitarist out of all of them. I think he is bit misguided when it comes MegaD.

I know I am MD fanboy but still, c'mon, MD has made some of the best metal ever made (even if you don't like them, you got to respect Mustaine's genius).

Dave, is the Warchest worth it?  Its the only CD set I don't have because well....I think I have everything on the warchest already...

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #1,813 of 29,701
I'll be honest, I agree with angrymetalguy, MD have some REALLY low points, but they have some REALLY high points too.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #1,814 of 29,701

Quote:
I'll be honest, I agree with angrymetalguy, MD have some REALLY low points, but they have some REALLY high points too.

Yeah no doubt.  I don't deny that, Mustaine's personal life has probably even more high and low points.  But the bottom line is this:

There is a REASON why MD is one of the big four and definitely one of the overlords of American Metal, they have earned it.  Very few bands stay relevant after 20 years of metal.

With that said, I disagree with AngreMetalDude with pretty much everything....from his review of Blind Guardian's latest (he is out of his mind, its their best work since Middleearth and I am not even close to a fanboy) to his review of Soilwork's new one (absolutely their best effort in a long time...its a mixture of Predator's and Natural Born Chaos).

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,815 of 29,701

Quote:
According to AngryMetalGuy Megadeth is overrated and Marty is the sloppiest guitarist out of all of them.  Idiot.   
I know I am MD fanboy but still, c'mon, MD has made some of the best metal ever made (even if you don't like them, you got to respect Mustaine's genius).

Dave, is the Warchest worth it?  Its the only CD set I don't have because well....I think I have everything on the warchest already...

Hah, yeah that's wrong. All it takes is a minute of watching Megadeth play Tornado of Souls with Marty, Al, Glen, and Chris to see who's better. When they're playing live at least, Marty plays the solo pretty much exactly as it is on the CD. The others, not so much. Megadeth's all time greatest solos are split between Marty and Chris Poland. The guys that came after have done some great work, but it's never been quite as good as what it was.

Metallica produced three good albums in their career that still hold up, and only two of the three are actually listenable. Justice cries out for a re-recording, but I honestly don't think they have the chops anymore to actually pull that off. Megadeth managed at least twice that many, and unlike Metallica, they can still play their old songs live without embarrassing themselves. Watching Kirk try to play the solo from One these days (which any of Megadeth's guitarists could do in their sleep) is just sad, and don't even get me started on the butchering that's going on here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBPNebK53hU&feature=related

Peace Sells and Rust In Peace are two of the greatest thrash records of all time. Regardless of what you think of Youthanasia, or Cryptic Writings or Risk, nothing can take that away from them.

The Warchest set isn't really worth it. Just get the DVD however you want to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back