Lets Talk Metal
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #136 of 29,660
Speaking of preferred metal concert protocol..........

Do you believe only a dork wears a t-shirt by the same band he is watching perform, or is it only cool to wear band t-shirt of a different band?
(I think you can reduce the dork factor if you are wearing old hard to find t-shirt of band performing, something no one else there has)

Or does anyone who wears any band t-shirt to any concert qualify for dork status?

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #137 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of preferred concert protocol..........

Do you believe only a dork wears a t-shirt by the same band he is watching perform, or is it only cool to wear band t-shirt of a different band?

I think you can reduce the dork factor if you are wearing old hard to find t-shirt of band performing, something no one else there has

Or does anyone who wears any band t-shirt to any concert qualify for dork status?

I have that rule. Never use a band t-shirt on a concert from that same band. As a matter of fact I always use the same t-shirt for concerts, a Bathory t-shirt with the goat on the front a pentagram on the back (is kind of weared up from many concerts and some close encounters with the house cats). For obvious reasons there's no danger in wearing that on a Bathory concert :|

I don't go as far as to consider someone who does that as a dork. I find it bad taste, that's all.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #138 of 29,660
Huh!? What the hell is wrong wearing a band shirt (they are often sold at the gigs anyway. what's the better place to carry it around than wearing it over your old tshirt) of the band playing on the stage? Not only is that rule braindead and without any purpose (or it completely escapes me), who gives a damn who wears what on gig away. I rarely even look like metalhead when I'm at a gig, other than overall black or dark colored clothing.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #139 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh!? Whats the hell is wrong wearing a band shirt of the band playing on the stage? Not only is that rule braindead and without purpose, who gives a damn who wears what on gig. I rarely even look like metalhead when I'm at a gig, other than overall black or dark colored clothing.

"I find it bad taste, that's all". So there's nothing wrong with that. I just apply the rule to myself and never do that. That and wear a similar t-shirt as someone that goes with me, I once had to wear a t-shirt inside out just because someone that went along with us had the exact same shirt, the person! Paranoid.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #140 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of preferred metal concert protocol..........

(I think you can reduce the dork factor if you are wearing old hard to find t-shirt of band performing, something no one else there has)

I think anyone who cares about what they wear to concerts is a dork.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #141 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think anyone who cares about what they wear to concerts is a dork.

I'm not Einstein, I care what I wear everyday (the rules are little more than no yellow, green, blue, red, magenta, etc. which is helped enforcing by only having black and dark grey clothes), why should it be different for concerts?

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #142 of 29,660
I care too. Individualims and not "caring" about what others think about me and my clothes doesnt equal being dork or jerk, I know when better clothing is needed and such (I have couple of full suits with ties and all), and there is a reason why they are used. But there is NO reason why one should not wear a band shirt of the band who is playing at the moment. Actually there are reasons why you should/could wear one IE showing support for the band playing and such. Honestly, who came with the idea that it shows bad taste?

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #143 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I care too. Individualims and not "caring" about what others think about me and my clothes doesnt equal being dork or jerk, I know when better clothing is needed and such (I have couple of full suits with ties and all), and there is a reason why they are used. But there is NO reason why one should not wear a band shirt of the band who is playing at the moment. Actually there are reasons why you should/could wear one IE showing support for the band playing and such. Honestly, who came with the idea that it shows bad taste?

I didn't said it shows bad taste, I said I find it bad taste (absolute vs. relative). Meaning I wouldn't wear it, a personal thing, opinions.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #144 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't said it shows bad taste, I said I find it bad taste (absolute vs. relative). Meaning I wouldn't wear it, a personal thing, opinions.

No no no, this wasnt aimed directly to you. I am asking about it in general, and since DarkAngel was the one who asked about it, I am now wondering if there really is sort of "protocol", and WHY such would exist?

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #145 of 29,660
Anyone that obeys 'protocol' goes against everything that metal is.

Wear what you will, and if someone makes a remark at you, beat the crap out of them.

Rules to live by
wink.gif

\m/

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #146 of 29,660
I went to a Pantera tribute with a T-Shirt of Mastodon Blood Mountain. Some people stopped by saying they liked the band.

For a concert I really don't care about what people are wearing, because I go there to listen to music. I prefer going with jeans and a black t-shirt, or with camo pants. I sometimes dress like a metalhead when I go to University, others not, but i don't have long hair.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #147 of 29,660
At my first metal concert (ProgPower USA V I believe), I was wearing a plain black T-shirt because I didn't have any concert T's yet (duh). A guy came up to me and explained very politely that I was violating metal concert uniform policy. It was hilarious. People are so quick to assert that metal is about nonconformism, but I disagree. It's just an alternative thing to which to conform. Most metalheads have a decent sense of humour about it though, which is refreshing.

Regarding the 'rule' about not wearing a T-shirt depicting the band performing on a given night, I think for a lot of people it promotes their 'metal cred' to wear a shirt advertising a different band - kind of like that shirt spoofing indie cred that says 'I listen to bands that don't even exist yet'. We're a funny lot from an anthropological perspective, I have to say.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #149 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
conformity of nonconformism...lol

Yeah.

Be a rebel. Break the rules. Just like all the other unique metalheads... lol.

I wear pajamas to metal concerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back