Lets settle this: Where do you stand on Grado?
Jul 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #61 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BECAUSE THEY SOUND GOOD NO MATTER THE TYPE OF MUSIC THEY ARE PLAYING, THE PERSONS PERCEPTION OF SOUND VARYS FROM PERSON TO PERSON, HEAD FIERS ALWAYS BRING A SMILE TO MY FACE, EVERYONE SO JUDGMENTAL, IN THE END IT COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL TASTE.

What would you think you were going to get in a poll (and post) that is asking for peoples personal opinions about a brand of headphones??????

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #63 of 96
I like Grados sound signature, specifically the SR80 (that I had the joy of paying $250 for here in europe) and the RS-2 that a friend ownes (he thought he made a bargain at $800!).

I have a problem with the over all build quality. I am not talking interior intricacies that I have no competence in judging, but rather the feel you get when you handle them and inspect them up close. Not good enough IMO.

I would never prefer them for ambient, classical or electronica, but do they rock the hell out of PJ Harvey, Pixies and Jeff Buckley!
biggrin.gif

Grado is a great addition to the headphone market as far as I see it. Fun and involving cans!

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider them a gateway drug into head-fi. hey man try these sr60s out

Well said!
They were the gateway for me. Coming from iBuds, then a year or so with the SR80 before I updraged to Stax SR-007BL.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #65 of 96
I'll never understand internet people and their petty internet hatreds...

I think Grado's are too fatiquing, plus the pads rubbed the skin around my ears raw. So they literally hurt my ears, both inside and out, while listening. They (the HF-1) did have an amazingly clear sound that sent shivers up my spine on certain female vocals, but they didn't do justice to most of my music. The best way I can describe it is, they could pop but they couldn't groove (try listening to something like Stereolab on them, and everything is just so wrong). So no, I don't like them... but why is that so controversial around here?

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #69 of 96
I like them a lot, but there are issues in their headphones. The build quality varies from very well done to rather sloppy, and treble spike in the sound is noticeable at the times.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #70 of 96
My only Grado headphones were the SR60's, which I bought in the beginning of my Head-fi career. They were great sounding and all, but through them I found out that I do have a moderate degree of treble sensitivity, ruling any further Grados out. I'm also more of a fan of a more laid back presentation (hence the HD650, K701, AD700 etc) and Grados are polar opposites. So while I know Grado is great at what they do, I also know that it simply isn't my type of headphones.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #71 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said!
They were the gateway for me. Coming from iBuds, then a year or so with the SR80 before I updraged to Stax SR-007BL.

You didn't waste any time did you?

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #72 of 96
I absolutely love my grado 325is headphones even over sennhesier...and not because they are more expensive. I love the details I hear with my grados that can't be heard with my senns. My only complaints is that, yes the grados do sorta suck with piano, but everything else is fantastic for me. Also, new bowl pads will hurt like hell the first 3 weeks, after that it's very comfortable.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #73 of 96
I love Grado's. I've listened to many of their models and find the overall Grado sound to be very fun.

My issue with Grado is the comfort of their headphones. I can mold them so that I can wear them for an hour or so no problem, but after that my ears start to hurt from resting on the plastic driver covers.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #74 of 96
I like Grado but like many here, I also believe they have some issues. From me, my first decent headphone was the SR-80i. Upgrading from SR-80i to 325is I only heard minimal improvement, with the 325is being better. I kind of felt like have not gotten my moneys worth. But then again I've only used it with cheap sources and unamped. But it is cool though since I got my SR-325is brand new for only $180. I like the Grado sound and I think they sound fine with all kinds of music. I'm one of those people who care less about accuracy and just want good music.

On a side note, I not to happy with their prices on 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and their extension cords. They are way overpriced.

Every company have issues. I have not heard of a company that have completely satisfy all their customer. Although it is not a headphone, if you think Grado have bad quality control issues wait till try Microsoft Xbox 360. I am on my 6th Xbox 360. If you are also a gamer too, you will know that I am talking about.
wink_face.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #75 of 96
I'm really curious about Grados. I think they look good personally, got a kind of steampunky thing going on some of the models.

But the sound signature: Narrow soundstage, aggressive/harsh is almost the exact opposite of what I want from a set of cans. So.. curious but sceptical.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back