Lets settle this: Where do you stand on Grado?
Jul 16, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #16 of 96
Wow, 3 thread crappers right off the bat having 5 of the posts already. I'm not even trying to stir up controversy this time (I do admit the "are we setting a precedent" was a bit of of me riling people up). Just give your honest answers and don't crap the thread.

Really? Really? I ask people to NOT attack anything and people just start going at it. Do you guys REALLY have to go through the trouble to make me feel like crap for being curious how people actually feel? From what I see, the whole Head-f1 and QC issue seems to non-issue. People really like Grado. Do you really feel the need to defend them still even though there's evidence pointing towards your holy war being invalidated?

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #19 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you dislike something if you don't have any issues or problems with it?

What I interpreted that as is not having any major issues with Grados themselves but not liking it.
For example, I don't like the grado sound signature - I find it unnatural and unenjoyable. In addition, I find them relatively uncomfortable (although not unbearable). I think their design is mediocre at best and their quality control leaves much to be desired. I don't think there's anything wrong with Grado per se, but I realize they're not my cup of tea. Maybe these are issues/problems but I don't think anyone made the distinction clear so I selected what first caught my eye.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #20 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I interpreted that as is not having any major issues with Grados themselves but not liking it.
For example, I don't like the grado sound signature - I find it unnatural and unenjoyable. In addition, I find them relatively uncomfortable (although not unbearable). I think their design is mediocre at best and their quality control leaves much to be desired. I don't think there's anything wrong with Grado per se, but I realize they're not my cup of tea. Maybe these are issues/problems but I don't think anyone made the distinction clear so I selected what first caught my eye.

that's exactly what I meant by "I dislike them, but for no issues or problems". You don't have anything against grado, just not your preference.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #21 of 96
I own a Grado product, the SR225 recabled. Generally I don't find them as refined as other phone I have, kinda cheapish in make and sound but i do like the retro look. However, the sound does appeal to me at times, maybe the 225 are just on a lower level than my other phones.

The new HF-2 at the show (CJ) I may have gone for, it was so good, it was a total surprise to me. If I hadn't bought two expensive headphones in the last 8 or 9 months I probably would have jumped on these, esp as reasonable as they were priced.
I think in the high end stuff though I prefer a more refined sound than Grados offer overall.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #22 of 96
Love the sound and the look, but comfort leaves something to be desired. I'll put up with that inconvenience because of what they give back to me in terms of sound quality.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #23 of 96
I don't mind this thread at all, but I think the results are gonna skew toward the people who like Grado. I rarely go into threads regarding products I don't like; I oftentimes don't even notice them.

Anyways, I like Grados, but my 2 issues are the comfort, and the fact that they have a certain graininess if they don't get a matching amp.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #24 of 96
The SR60s are the only ones I've owned, and I loved them the moment I put them on for the first time. They are far and away the best budget phones (sub $100) I've heard.

Other low-end phones I've owned include:

Portapros
PX100s
ER6.

In my opinion, if we are talking about SQ, the SR60s are easily the best of this group.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #25 of 96
Lets just post our opinions on what we like/dislike WITHOUT criticizing others or defending anything. I just want one thread where people state their opinions and leave it without fear of being engaged in some sort of spectacle.

I love Grados for the physical design of their headphones. Call it what you will - minimalist, simplicity, no-nonsense, no frills. Their use of metal cups is particularly beautiful, especially that of Joe Grado's headphones. Their incorporation of wood is top notch as well. It's a timeless look that operates more function than fashion.

That being said, some of their design/pricing choices is what terms me off. For example, The 125/225 "metal grate" switch and the huge price difference isn't worth it IMO. I also feel like you end up exploring different flavors when you go up the prestige series, and for the money it can get pretty ridiculous how much you have to spend just for a different flavor (as opposed to a defined improvement).

Also, customer support, particularly their communication is perhaps the worst part about Grado. They are, IMO, very blunt and concise, which comes off a bit rude and uncaring.

The sound of Grados..particuarly those without harshness in the highs, is very pleasurable.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 96
Whether you like Grado or not, I think we can all agree that it is good Grado exists, because there really isn't anything like a Grado, and that's what a lot of people are looking for.

I personally like them. I'm not a big fan of the comfort and the sound isn't right for everything, but I think that overall they make good headphones at reasonable prices, and they fill an important niche. I picked the "some issues" options.

And guys, please stop with the "this thread sux" posts. It's not necessary, this thread has an acceptable purpose and you're causing it to go off-topic.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 96
The company indeed has a lot of issues in past and in present now. I am amazed how many people are denying this fact.

RS-1's wood in very poor condition... a lot of faulty GS-1000s around, PS-1000 being delayed by wrong manufacturing proces, wrong lettering for HF-2......

I mean come on, and those are 700$+ headphones and we are not deserved to have these crappy products.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #29 of 96
I guess being from the EU my biggest problem with Grado's is the price.
For the price of Grado in the UK you can buy a whole lotta better cans.
Of course, the HF-2 was too good to pass up, a decent Grado for Senn money!

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #30 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha okay
smily_headphones1.gif
I just assumed that issues/problems also include not liking the sound signature or comfort or isolation or anything about the headphones, really
smily_headphones1.gif
So i voted dislike with issues or problems.

My main issue with Grados is that I dislike supra-aural headphones in general due to comfort issues and I like the feeling of my ears being wrapped around in a snug fit foam when I listen. But it's not a major problem; and if I like the sound a lot, I wouldn't mind.

I'm actually itching to try either the MS2 or SR325 again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back