Let's say I had $350 to spare . . .
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #31 of 34
My Schiit stack arrived yesterday and I only had a little time to try it out. First impressions: wow did I make the right decision! This changes everything for me, no exaggeration. It's a totally different sound, and I hear soooo much now -- maybe TOO much, know what I mean? It's like everything has been revealed, warts and all. I thought my portable rig was revealing, but this is a very different breed of cat.

I need to spend a few hours isolating things to try to get to the bottom of which component is making the biggest difference, or whether it's more of an equal sum if the parts sort of thing. But I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say, and questions to ask. So anyone wanting to give $0.02 on the topic look for an upcoming impressions thread in the Headphone Amps area.

Thanks to all for your advice.

And of course, now I'm all set up and ready for a set of Focal Clears someday (my next dream upgrade).
That is awesome I’m happy you enjoy your new purchase.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #32 of 34
To be honest my wish list really has only the Schiit stack on it, and precisely because of my interest in hearing the HD 600s at their best. In addition it just seems logical to build a solid source & amp rig first, which would then optimize all future headphone dalliances.

The Sundara thing only just came about in the last couple days when I started reading up on planars for the first time (a big hole in my HP story this far). From my limited reading, the Sundaras seem like they might be the best choice for an intro set of planars (for my preferred sound and collection, that is).

Same here. My Sundaras have been rock solid and pleasurable for months. really glad I started out with them. They have displaced the HD600 as my default headphone for CD/Streaming source.

I really go for that value proposition with my gear.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #33 of 34
HD600 is a pretty decent headphone and has tremendous potential with good amps

I would suggest spending the money to upgrade the amp. Magni or vali is not good enough for HD600, valhalla or lyr might do HD600 right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back