Let's say I had $350 to spare . . .
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

bzippy

100+ Head-Fier
. . . I have a kid and live in DC on a professor's salary, so I don't. But say I did, which should I choose:

1. Magni/Modi/Loki stack

2. Hifiman Sundara

What I have now:
Headphones: HD 600, V Moda XS, Senn Amperior
Amp: JDS C5 (portable)
Source: FiiO X3 (1st gen)

Obviously it's a very modest & limited collection so far. I have never even tried a desktop headphone amp, nor a set of planars. I suppose before I'd actually do anything I should find a way to try more stuff (i.e. a meetup or something). But just as a lazy sitting at home discussion, what say you?

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 34
in this case I go for the Schiit stack...hifiman product are not the best of quality...plus your amp and source is mediocre. I used to have the JDS Lab C5D and the difference between that and my schiit lyr was pretty obvious.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 34
Of those you list, I would go with the Schiit stack. It would improve the performance of your HD600 pretty markedly, IMO. I also have an HD600 and pairing it with a decent amp makes all the difference in the world. HiFiMAN build quality can most definitely be suspect (yes, I own one and it is unfortunately not in very good condition) :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 34
To be honest my wish list really has only the Schiit stack on it, and precisely because of my interest in hearing the HD 600s at their best. In addition it just seems logical to build a solid source & amp rig first, which would then optimize all future headphone dalliances.

The Sundara thing only just came about in the last couple days when I started reading up on planars for the first time (a big hole in my HP story this far). From my limited reading, the Sundaras seem like they might be the best choice for an intro set of planars (for my preferred sound and collection, that is).

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 34
So tell me more about the 600 with more power behind it, especially as it relates to the 600 low end. I've gone through a handful of portable amps to pair with mine and for most recordings I feel the need to switch in a mild bass boost. I'm no bass head, but the 600s to me are a bit rolled off from neutral on the low end. I know I'm not alone in this perception. Anyway, would more power help with this? Remember I'm currently feeding them with the JDS Labs C5 (hi gain setting).

Thanks for the input, btw. :)

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 34
So tell me more about the 600 with more power behind it, especially as it relates to the 600 low end.

I feel that the HD600 is fairly weak in the low end department and rather dull sounding after awhile. I used to pair it with a Woo Audio WA2 and it didnt improve the low end. If you like the sound of the 600,perhaps a HD6xx from Massdrop would be something to consider? However that too benefits from better amping as well.

I also agree with the above sentiments regarding HiFiMan. They make some nice sounding headphones....when theyre not broken.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 34
So tell me more about the 600 with more power behind it, especially as it relates to the 600 low end. I've gone through a handful of portable amps to pair with mine and for most recordings I feel the need to switch in a mild bass boost. I'm no bass head, but the 600s to me are a bit rolled off from neutral on the low end. I know I'm not alone in this perception. Anyway, would more power help with this? Remember I'm currently feeding them with the JDS Labs C5 (hi gain setting).

Thanks for the input, btw. :)

for extra bass...either get tube amp or a new headphone...and portable tube amp, the only one I know is Alo audio and Woo audio.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 34
My advice would be absolutely 100% to buy a new headphone. I owned an HD600 for a while and though I didn't hate it, I found it to be a headphone with very limited potential.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 34
My advice would be absolutely 100% to buy a new headphone. I owned an HD600 for a while and though I didn't hate it, I found it to be a headphone with very limited potential.

That is a very, very unusual opinion. Having owned and loved the HD600 for years, I can attest the exact opposite. In fact, it saw off a pair of HD800 and MrSpeakers Aeon in its time before being offed by the Focal Clear.

If you (OP) like the HD600, buy the Schiit stack, or better, Modi 3 with JDS Labs Atom and bring it to life.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 34
I had the HD700 at the same time I had the HD600..and there is simply no comparison. HD700 was leagues ahead. So was every other open-back headphone I owned at that time including AKG K712 and even Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.
I can't blame my equipment as the equipment was not below average, quite the opposite. I must say I certainly find it amusing, every time I mention of the HD600's limitations, I always get a bad reaction. Ah well..my ears can't lie, and I know what they where telling me about the HD600.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 34
I do absolutely love nearly everything about the 600. I'm a diehard fanboy. Nothing else I've tried provides such utter immersion. Just wish it had a tad less low end roll off. I feel fairly confident that going with something else (that I could afford) just for more lows would be a net loss. That's why I have settled on the approach of using an amp scheme that includes a subtle, clean bass boost. Thus my hard line insistence on getting a Loki if I get the Magni.

That said I'm always on the lookout for set that fully satisfies the "HD 600 with a bit more low end" quest. Even the sibling 650 seems to take away too much in other areas that it's a no go. But that's all for another thread I suppose.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 34
I had the HD700 at the same time I had the HD600..and there is simply no comparison. HD700 was leagues ahead. So was every other open-back headphone I owned at that time including AKG K712 and even Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.
I can't blame my equipment as the equipment was not below average, quite the opposite. I must say I certainly find it amusing, every time I mention of the HD600's limitations, I always get a bad reaction. Ah well..my ears can't lie, and I know what they where telling me about the HD600.

Hey, that's your opinion. I am not right, you are not wrong :)

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 34
I do absolutely love nearly everything about the 600. I'm a diehard fanboy. Nothing else I've tried provides such utter immersion. Just wish it had a tad less low end roll off. I feel fairly confident that going with something else (that I could afford) just for more lows would be a net loss. That's why I have settled on the approach of using an amp scheme that includes a subtle, clean bass boost. Thus my hard line insistence on getting a Loki if I get the Magni.

That said I'm always on the lookout for set that fully satisfies the "HD 600 with a bit more low end" quest. Even the sibling 650 seems to take away too much in other areas that it's a no go. But that's all for another thread I suppose.

I think if you're looking for an amp around $100, you should get the JDS Labs Atom. From a measurement point of view, it is spectacular. Pair that with a Modi 3 and you're set. Though, to be honest, no question that the Magni compliments the Modi aesthetically and if you value that then go for it :)

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 34

Lol. Yes criticizing the 600s does often elicit deeply emotional reactions. And I do get it, being a passionate 600 fan myself. But your input is very welcome here in my thread. From what I've read I thought I needn't bother trying the 700, and frankly forgot about them. But I'm glad you brought them up. I'll put giving them a try on my list of things to do. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back