Let's say I had $350 to spare . . .
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 34
I think if you're looking for an amp around $100, you should get the JDS Labs Atom. From a measurement point of view, it is spectacular. Pair that with a Modi 3 and you're set. Though, to be honest, no question that the Magni compliments the Modi aesthetically and if you value that then go for it :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be taking another look at JDS before I pull any triggers. But you're guess about the aesthetic factor is actually valid. I really do love the look of those little silver stacks! I've even started imagining the platform I'd make for them to enable easier transport from room to room. (Hm, sounds like I may be mentally too far down the Schiit path to turn back, lol)

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 34
Lol. Yes criticizing the 600s does often elicit deeply emotional reactions. And I do get it, being a passionate 600 fan myself. But your input is very welcome here in my thread. From what I've read I thought I needn't bother trying the 700, and frankly forgot about them. But I'm glad you brought them up. I'll put giving them a try on my list of things to do. :thumbsup:

Okay cool stuff, I should've known to expect such strong reactions. Just thought I would share my experience with HD600 as you seemed to be considering buying a different headphone.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 34
Lol. Yes criticizing the 600s does often elicit deeply emotional reactions. And I do get it, being a passionate 600 fan myself. But your input is very welcome here in my thread. From what I've read I thought I needn't bother trying the 700, and frankly forgot about them. But I'm glad you brought them up. I'll put giving them a try on my list of things to do. :thumbsup:

I think often we are a little ashamed to admit publicly, or even to ourselves, how important aesthetics are. I say go for it, the Schiit stack will look better and that will make you happy, and that is what it is all about!

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 34
I suggest picking up a good closed back like the Fostex TR-X00 which can be had for ~300 used since we all know that sometimes you just want to be able to tune out the kids. Helps that their a fun and good sounding headphone as well.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #21 of 34
I would say you have pretty decent headphones for a start in this hobby.
I would say upgrade your source equipment to a stack from Schiit audio.
It will bring new life to your existing cans.

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #22 of 34
350. Mmm. I've been a been a big advocate of first headphones, then amping. That said, Edith your budget, I think you can get both. I'd get a Schiit stack and a pair of used Massdrop AKG K7XX.

My reasons: the Schiit stack is pretty competitive and looks great on any desk and it will be a good match for the HD600. Second, the AKG K7XX gives you a sound signature which complements the HD600

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 34
As far as amps are concerned, the Magni 3 @ $99 is a good choice. I haven't owned the Magni since the v1, but have a v3 that I'll receive tomorrow. As to DACs, consider the Grace SDAC from Massdrop for $79.99. Though, it will not be shipping until sometime in April again. But, you can go for a used one as they appear here on the forum as well as Ebay. I also have an SDAC arriving tomorrow with the Magni 3. However, I'd also like to toss out another great performer, the Liquid Spark amp by Alex Cavalli. Just $99 and it packs a serious punch.

Though, I also wouldn't overlook "combos" given your price range. The Massdrop LCX + SDAC combo can be acquired used for $300, or $379.99 at Massdrop. This will provide you with both a single-ended terminal to use with existing headphones, as well as a 4-pin balanced output connector in the event you start using balanced cables for your headphones in the future. The LCX is an Alex Cavalli designed amp and the SDAC is incorporated into the same box. Some pretty sweet sounds from this unit with my Focal headphones.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 34
. . . I have a kid and live in DC on a professor's salary, so I don't. But say I did, which should I choose:

1. Magni/Modi/Loki stack

2. Hifiman Sundara

What I have now:
Headphones: HD 600, V Moda XS, Senn Amperior
Amp: JDS C5 (portable)
Source: FiiO X3 (1st gen)

Obviously it's a very modest & limited collection so far. I have never even tried a desktop headphone amp, nor a set of planars. I suppose before I'd actually do anything I should find a way to try more stuff (i.e. a meetup or something). But just as a lazy sitting at home discussion, what say you?
There are meets in DC for sure and I suggest everyone go to a meet if there is one close enough. I’ve met a few of the guys from the DC area at other meets and they are real good guys with real good gear so look at the Meet up thread to see when their next one is as meets are always a good time.
The Schiit Stack is solid can’t go wrong there but for future proofing @wje had a good recommendation the Massdrop Liquid Carbon +Sdac would be much better as I have the original Liquid Carbon and it is a great little amp with power to run just about anything ( does a great job with the Abyss) and love it with the HD-800’s as well.
For headphones I’m a Planar guy just love the sound. As for HiFiMan I have three pairs over 3 years old each and not one problem. You hear about a few problems on things and it gets multiplied over the Internet yes it’s real to those that have the problem but not to the thousands it doesn’t. Just like seeing 1 star reviews on Amazon that everyone else thought was pretty good but a person gave it a 1 star because it didn’t work for them as the description said it wouldn’t work for them so go figure.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #25 of 34
If I had a $350 budget on a complete audiophile package, I'd be all over the Grace SDAC, Liquid Spark or JDS Labs Atom (depending on your usability preferences since they sound so alike), and the Sennheiser HD58X.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #26 of 34
There are meets in DC for sure and I suggest everyone go to a meet if there is one close enough. I’ve met a few of the guys from the DC area at other meets and they are real good guys with real good gear so look at the Meet up thread to see when their next one is as meets are always a good time.
The Schiit Stack is solid can’t go wrong there but for future proofing @wje had a good recommendation the Massdrop Liquid Carbon +Sdac would be much better as I have the original Liquid Carbon and it is a great little amp with power to run just about anything ( does a great job with the Abyss) and love it with the HD-800’s as well.
For headphones I’m a Planar guy just love the sound. As for HiFiMan I have three pairs over 3 years old each and not one problem. You hear about a few problems on things and it gets multiplied over the Internet yes it’s real to those that have the problem but not to the thousands it doesn’t. Just like seeing 1 star reviews on Amazon that everyone else thought was pretty good but a person gave it a 1 star because it didn’t work for them as the description said it wouldn’t work for them so go figure.

Yes, I'm definitely on the lookout for the next DC area meetup. It's shameful that I haven't been to one yet.

And I just learned something that is sure to threaten my marriage: a like-new condish set of Focal Clears can pretty easily be found for about $800. I've been dying to try these for little while now but the $1500 price set them squarely out of range. But I guess there are some sources offering them under $1k now? And then lightly used on top of that . . . well now . . . OMG this hurts. (I still don't have the cash, but, you know)

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #27 of 34
^^ This was just a moment of weakness and a result of learning that the Clears can be had pretty easily for almost half price. But rest assured, my next major purchase will be the sensible one: a decent amp rig, and most likely Schiit.

Thanks again for all your input everyone.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #28 of 34
Have those weaknesses too much I feel that ; ) If you are looking at Schiit I would suggest you take a look at the Jotunheim I had one on loan from Schiit and found it quite a nice dac/amp .

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 34
Sooo, today is my birthday, and most of my gifts were contributions toward this little order I placed this morning:

Schiit stack.jpg

I even sprang for 2 sets of those cool red RCA interconnects -- what the hell, it's my birthday, right!?!

I'm very excited. I've never even heard a proper headphone amp rig, so this is super cool!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #30 of 34
My Schiit stack arrived yesterday and I only had a little time to try it out. First impressions: wow did I make the right decision! This changes everything for me, no exaggeration. It's a totally different sound, and I hear soooo much now -- maybe TOO much, know what I mean? It's like everything has been revealed, warts and all. I thought my portable rig was revealing, but this is a very different breed of cat.

I need to spend a few hours isolating things to try to get to the bottom of which component is making the biggest difference, or whether it's more of an equal sum of the parts sort of thing. But I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say, and questions to ask. So anyone wanting to give $0.02 on the topic look for an upcoming impressions thread in the Headphone Amps area.

Thanks to all for your advice.

And of course, now I'm all set up and ready for a set of Focal Clears someday (my next dream upgrade).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back