Let's Prove The Null Hypothesis
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

upstateguy

Headphoneus Supremus
Let's prove the Null Hypothesis: I'm searching for:

1- A body of evidence to support the proposition that cables sound differently from each other.

2- A body of evidence to support the proposition that exotic power cords, make a difference.

3- A body of evidence to support the proposition that all Amps do not sound the same.

Of course, manufacturer's data must be excluded for obvious reasons.

I'm looking for any evidence, collected by any methodology.

What I'm not looking for is an "I hear a difference" show of hands.

Let's find the body of evidence!
darthsmile.gif
k701smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

USG

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's prove the Null Hypothesis: ...

umm, the null hypothesis is assumed to be true
confused_face.gif

It's like in court where the defendant is assumed innocent. That's the null hypothesis. You don't prove them innocent.

Anyways carry on and have fun. I certainly won't go near this topic.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 186
Aye, but anyways, heres a little test I put together that showed electrical differences in cabling-
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/i...esults-368745/

That might help you out a bit. So far as I know there is no quantitative data showing cables sound different. However, there is also no quantitative data that cables sound the same.

Search around about harmonics to see the difference in even order and odd order harmonics (tube and solid state essentially). That is a simple way to substantiate #3.

I'm not even going near #2.

Dave

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for any evidence, collected by any methodology.

"Any methodology" can produce results (not evidence) to advance anything a person is trying to prove. What you should be looking for are results gathered by scientifically valid methodology. Only then can it be called evidence.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm, the null hypothesis is assumed to be true
confused_face.gif

It's like in court where the defendant is assumed innocent. That's the null hypothesis. You don't prove them innocent.

Anyways carry on and have fun. I certainly won't go near this topic.

Hi rds

Your absolutely right.

All 3 propositions are generally assumed to be true.

I'm looking for evidence to support that belief system.

USG

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aye, but anyways, heres a little test I put together that showed electrical differences in cabling-
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/i...esults-368745/

That might help you out a bit. So far as I know there is no quantitative data showing cables sound different. However, there is also no quantitative data that cables sound the same.

Search around about harmonics to see the difference in even order and odd order harmonics (tube and solid state essentially). That is a simple way to substantiate #3.

I'm not even going near #2.

Dave

Hi Dave

I've followed your tests. Good stuff that paperclip interconnect. But if there is no data that you know of, why the prevalent belief system?

RE: #3

What sticks in my mind is the original amp test where the 25 golden ears were able to discern differences and write notes about those differences while they could see the amp they were listening to, but when the amp was concealed from them they weren't able to tell the difference between the Pioneer and the Futterman monoblocks.

RE: #2

You mean you don't want to touch the last 2 feet?
devil_face.gif
One would think that for the amount of money some of those last 2 feet cost, someone would have done some research along the way.... maybe not.

USG

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightmare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Any methodology" can produce results (not evidence) to advance anything a person is trying to prove. What you should be looking for are results gathered by scientifically valid methodology. Only then can it be called evidence.

Hey Nighmare

Of course you're right, but I would be willing to look at any compiled results at this point, never mind hard cold evidence.

I have decided that I'm going to be an agnostic in this religious war. I would like to look at all the evidence and then come to a conclusion. The only problem is that that I don't see any support for those propositions....
o2smile.gif

USG

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 186
A person's observations, i.e., what they saw or heard, is "evidence" within the generally accepted meaning of the word -- including in a court of law. It may not be conclusive, and it may be refuted by other evidence, but it is still "evidence." To put it another way, it is probative of the existence or non-existence of a fact.

Although I am not a scientist, it's my understanding that scientists also rely in part on observations. Again, they may not be conclusive, or they may be refuted by other evidence, but I think they are still considered.

Of course, one can always stack the deck by saying: "I will only consider certain types of evidence to be valid in my search for truth," but that does not seem to be a reasonable way to reach a conclusion about the existence of non-existence of a fact. Indeed, it seems sort of comical, or at least ironic.

EDIT: And was suggested in the same thread in the Amps forum by someone else, nobody (not even the most diehard DBT types) really contend that all amps sound the same. The contention is that certain amps (i.e., SS amps, or amps that measure the same) sound the same. In fact, there is an older thread somewhere on this forum which includes a lengthy quote from one of the very knowledgeable and well-known proponents of DBT's and the proposition that SS amps of certain type sound the same to the effect that tube amps (and perhaps some other amps also) used with headphones do not sound the same due in part to impedance issues (as I recall).

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A person's observations, i.e., what they saw or heard, is "evidence" within the generally accepted meaning of the word -- including in a court of law. It may not be conclusive, and it may be refuted by other evidence, but it is still "evidence." To put it another way, it is probative of the existence or non-existence of a fact.

Although I am not a scientist, it's my understanding that scientists also rely in part on observations. Again, they may not be conclusive, or they may be refuted by other evidence, but I think they are still considered.

Of course, one can always stack the deck by saying: "I will only consider certain types of evidence to be valid in my search for truth," but that does not seem to be a reasonable way to reach a conclusion about the existence of non-existence of a fact. Indeed, it seems sort of comical, or at least ironic.

EDIT: And as pointed out on the same thread in the Amps forum, nobody really contends that all amps sound the same. The contention is that certain amps (i.e., SS amps, or amps that measure the same) sound the same.

Hi Phil

When you're right you're right.
L3000.gif

Bring on the data.
bigsmile_face.gif

We're not being very selective and the methodology doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it's some kind of compiled data that we can draw conclusions from.

Come on, let's look at the data and see what we have.
dt880smile.png

USG

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 186
#3: go back through the Stereophile archives. You will find about 30 years of objective amplifier testing that wasn't done by the manufacturers. They've been independently testing reviewed amps for many years. You might want to contact their staff for more information.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: And was suggested in the same thread in the Amps forum by someone else, nobody (not even the most diehard DBT types) really contend that all amps sound the same. The contention is that certain amps (i.e., SS amps, or amps that measure the same) sound the same. In fact, there is an older thread somewhere on this forum which includes a lengthy quote from one of the very knowledgeable and well-known proponents of DBT's and the proposition that SS amps of certain type sound the same to the effect that tube amps (and perhaps some other amps also) used with headphones do not sound the same due in part to impedance issues (as I recall).

Oops, I didn't see the edit....

The amp tests again.....
triportsad.gif
frown.gif

I think you are mistaken. The amps from the test were extremely different and were not headphone amps. The only thing that was the same was how they sounded once the golden ears couldn't see which amp they were listening to.

This $200 Pioneer is a solid state

pioneer.jpg

and these $12,000 Futterman monoblocks are tube amps

futterman.jpg

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back