Let's post bad mastered, loudness-awful CD's here. Let's make a list.
Jan 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
It's quite a problem with cd's right now. So if you bought a cd and it's subpar sq-wise, please post here, so other people be aware.

For example. I've bought Chris Cornell's "Carry on" and it's simply awful. Crazy loudness and clipping.

Also i've noticed that most of cd's produced by Rick Rubin are miserable sq-wise.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 31
Basically, almost everything new that's coming out these days! At least if they're trying to play into the MP3 and car audio markets by creating a wall of sound that totally kills any changes in dynamics.

Bruce Springsteen's new release "Magic" is particularly bad. Sad, because it's quite good musically and was probably well recorded as well, but if you what to talk about loudness-awful mastering... sheez!

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 31
that on Red Hot CHili Peppers album... Satdium Arcadium? Just had to post the obvious

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 31
You would be better off making a list of well-mastered CDs. 99.9% of all new releases and "remasters" of old albums will be overly compressed.

If you're interested in this stuff, I suggest hanging out at Steve Hoffman's site.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 31
51P25iOak3L._AA240_.jpg

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 31
John Coltrane - Blue Train (RVG Remaster)
- mastered really hot with excessive highs

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, comparing to Californication, it's decent mastered for RHCP
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually like the sound of 'Blood Sugar...'. And I agree, 'Stadium Arcadium' seems like a reference recording compared to 'Californication'. 'Californication' is the poster-disc for badly mastered recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back