let's design something to keep our IEMs in our ears
Jun 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

illwafer

Head-Fier
first let me say that i have westone UM2 with custom UM56 molds. i haven't worn them in a while since i was getting a better seal with the sure olives. well i popped the um56 guys back on, and it sounds soooo nice when i get a good seal, which is never unless i'm using my hands.

the sure olives work their way out of my ears too, so i think this would be a good solution for both.

so, i'm looking for a small little device that would run around your ear and gently push your IEMs into your ears. does such a thing exist? with all the crap ipod earbuds out there, i could imagine someone invented something.

if there isn't anything on the market, does anyone have any ideas on how to diy? maybe someone has done this already. thanks.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 15
The Impression response may have seemed a bit aloof but customs, including custom sleeves for universal should not come out of your ears easily. A found a tip here at Head-fi for removing them or I would have a hell of a time getting them out. The seal should be such that they will not come out on thier own. Full Shell impressions including the outer surfaces including the bowl and tragus are very important in getting the seal correct.

Save that issue, the only other thing I could invent in my head would be a stiff band that would encircle the head around behind the ears and apply added pressure to the IEMs in your ears. But then we're talking headphones now.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 15
You can get a wax used for sealing in earplugs in noisy environments. I can't think of the specific name, but I've seen it at drugstores. You could put the IEMs in, then put the wax over them.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by illwafer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the incredible response and forwarding the discussion.

Thanks for the incredibly lame thread. Nice way to reply to a reasonable response to your totally dumb question.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a wax used for sealing in earplugs in noisy environments. I can't think of the specific name, but I've seen it at drugstores. You could put the IEMs in, then put the wax over them.

now that's what i'm talkin about. is this something that would be easily reusable?

edit: now that i've thought about this, i know exactly what you are talking about. this might be worth a try. thank you.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

first let me say that i have westone UM2 with custom UM56 molds. i haven't worn them in a while since i was getting a better seal with the sure olives. well i popped the um56 guys back on, and it sounds soooo nice when i get a good seal, which is never unless i'm using my hands.

the sure olives work their way out of my ears too, so i think this would be a good solution for both.

so, i'm looking for a small little device that would run around your ear and gently push your IEMs into your ears. does such a thing exist? with all the crap ipod earbuds out there, i could imagine someone invented something.

if there isn't anything on the market, does anyone have any ideas on how to diy? maybe someone has done this already. thanks.

Uh, I have to forcefully pull my UM56 out of my ear when I'm not using them because the seal is so secure. Without the little handle on them I would have trouble even getting them out. I'm not sure what the point of this post is since all you needed to do was get new impressions done and send them back to Westone. The product that you're looking for are custom ear pieces, which you already have, lol. It should be literally impossible for you to get a better seal and fit than the one provided by the UM56.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, I have to forcefully pull my UM56 out of my ear when I'm not using them because the seal is so secure. Without the little handle on them I would have trouble even getting them out. I'm not sure what the point of this post is since all you needed to do was get new impressions done and send them back to Westone. The product that you're looking for are custom ear pieces, which you already have, lol. It should be literally impossible for you to get a better seal and fit than the one provided by the UM56.

you are absolutely right.

my molds are 3 years old, so either they got smaller or my ear canals got bigger, which is fairly common (i've read). however, instead of throwing down another $100, i was hoping to cure it in under $10 and have a solution for when i'm not using the um56s.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Neat trick/ push up on the very bottom of your ears behind the earlobes where you can feel the IEM's. Pushing in and up should POP them out easily.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

you are absolutely right.

my molds are 3 years old, so either they got smaller or my ear canals got bigger, which is fairly common (i've read). however, instead of throwing down another $100, i was hoping to cure it in under $10 and have a solution for when i'm not using the um56s.

You could slowly layer acrylic nail polish around the ear canal part. It may take several layers over several days to "Build them up"

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

thanks for the incredible response and forwarding the discussion.

Terrible way to answer a question. After all the question presented you with a legitimate concern.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could slowly layer acrylic nail polish around the ear canal part. It may take several layers over several days to "Build them up"

Is there any chance of allergy from having acrylic nail polish inside the ears? Or any chance of it flaking off inside the ears because of the soft earmold material flexing? For customs that are already acrylic this seems good, but for silcone or vinyl tips it seems like the difference in material would be a problem. I've got custom tips that fit perfectly at the moment, but am curious for if I ever need to make a "tweak" after they are out of warranty.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible way to answer a question. After all the question presented you with a legitimate concern.

Depending on where "illwafer" is from, he may not have intended it to sound as condescending as we have percieved it. He may have simply worded it wrong. We are after all more and more becoming an international community with many language barriers to overcome.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

respect. i picked up these beauties (CVS brand):
Buy Mack's Pillow Soft Earplugs White online at CVS.com

i tore 1 in half and mushed it around between the mold and the phones, and it works very nicely. very cheap, very elegant. it also keeps my molds from falling off, which can happen on occasion. i'll post pics when i can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back