Lets chat about our earwax...
Feb 16, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #31 of 68
I use the tissue on my finger after a shower method.
I also use ear plugs at work everyday. Every once in a while when I pull out an ear plug there will be a gob of earwax on it. I always make sure that I have used my ear plugs before using my Etys. Keeps the Ety foam tips cleaner longer
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #32 of 68
I don't seem to be prone to ear wax buildup (thankfully!) but I do use Qtips after every bath or shower. If I don't I get horrible swimmers ear.

With the Qtips you just gotta use some common sense. Don't ram the thing down in there like you are ram rodding a muzzle loader
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by ojnihs
Yeah it's quite amazing what happens when your ears are cleaned out, it kinda makes you stagger for a second because everything comes in clearer and you just go... "Wow..."

But doesn't this mean heavy earwax is a form of continuous ear protection?

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Who HONESTLY uses HAIR PINS, or anything sharp, to clean their ears?
That has to be the most utterly moronic thing I have heard on here...

BANGPOD

At least 120 million Japanese do. They're called mimikaki and it is rather common for a mother to clean a child's ears or a wife to clean a husband's ears as a loving gesture.

And yes, my wife is one of those moronic Japanese.

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007
Previously, I have tried the gimmicky ear candles. They were interesting. It was fun (and gross) to see what the candle drew from my ear. The downside was that I only had two candles (one for each ear) and I really needed more in order to draw out all the gunk. Because I only used one per ear, it actually made my hearing worse and I experienced clogged ear canals. Ear Candles have since been banned in Canada due to obvious dangers (damaging your ear, burning your hair off, etc).

The ear candles drew nothing from your ear. It is quackery.

Feb 16, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #37 of 68
tmperf_c_d.jpg

It happens folks. I know someone where this happened. Her ears were bleeding from it. She had surgery, but her full hearing has not returned.
eek.gif

Don't be putting things larger than your fingers into your ears. If you really must have excess earwax removed, see your doctor.

I thought I had earwax build up, I went to see an ENT and my ears were clean. It was mostly sinus related.

-Ed

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #38 of 68
Sorry guys - I'm gonna have to disagree (in my case) with the general (and doctor's) recommendation against Q-tips. I realize the dangers, but for me the gains are too great.

My ears generate a substancial amount of wax. I can get a decent amount out everyday if I clean them (with Q-tips). If I wait a week or two, it will be a huge amount. More than a month, and I risk blockage on their own. At this point almost any cleaning method risks blocking my ears completely. This includes q-tips, syringes, ear drops, kleenex + finger, yeah everything. I've blocked them a few times already, and it's not a fun process. Either takes a very long process with wacky liquids or a doctor's help to unblock them, generally doesn't happen the first day. This is painful, and obviously partially deafening (temporarily of course). This is an experience I want to avoid.

Q-tip cleanings (by yourself in the middle of a room so nothing could possibly bump your arm), I believe to be perfectly safe. Especially when I've done it enough to know the insides of my ear pretty well. I could probably keep the wax buildup down by using a commercial product (drops & syringe style) everyday, but this is far more time consuming, money consuming, and a real pain in the rear. Also, seeing my doctor every few months, (or weeks) wouldn't exactly be a cost-effective solution.

Sure Q-tips have their dangers, in the hands of the inexperienced and if you would happen to get bumped (hard). But honestly, I cut things all the time. In the kitchen. If I got bumped while plealing some fruit, I could do some serious damage to my hands with the kinfe. Does this stop me from using the knife instead of pealing and breaking up fruit by hand? uh, no. Does the fact that some people have ruined their life by spilling boiling-hot coffee on them stop me from ordering it? no. Life is dangerous, a gamble everyday (which can be greatly reduced with a bit of common sense... think: darwin awards). Personally I don't consider Q-tips high on my threat-o-meter.

-dd3mon

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #40 of 68
I highly recommend against using those in the ear drops or squirting any sort of water into your ear. There is the possibility that some of it could get stuck in your ear and not come out, and lead to an infection. I should know...
mad.gif

I've used Q-tips regularly without much problem. The only thing that worries me is that there's always a batch of tiny hairs that come out with the Q-tip. I hope that's not the hairs used for hearing that I'm raking out there.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #41 of 68
FWIW, I had my ears candled about eight months ago, and it worked wonders. I don't have to worry about getting my hair burned.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
The only thing that worries me is that there's always a batch of tiny hairs that come out with the Q-tip. I hope that's not the hairs used for hearing that I'm raking out there.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Vert, good news: you can't rip the hairs that actually do the hearing out unless you dig far into your ear (well past the eardrum and ear bones) to the cochlea. If you're doing this, you would be a) bleeding profusely and b) completely deaf. Kinda doubt this is happening
wink.gif

Your cleaning is just flushing (or pulling) out the dead hairs that naturally grow in your ears. This is probably a good thing, as most don't find this too attractive to begin with
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
FWIW, I had my ears candled about eight months ago, and it worked wonders. I don't have to worry about getting my hair burned.
biggrin.gif

Placebo effect.

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #45 of 68
a couple of thoughts (re-runs, but then, sos's the thread).

if earvwax being jammed into the ear canal and damaging the ear were that much of an issue, then Etymotic would (almost, for legal reasons) have to post a warning about NOT using their phones. i don't remember them doing that. and, i find the foamies on my ER4s to be quite good at cleaning. the silicones only so, so.

my doctor prescribed an eyedrop Optivar, which seems to scrub out the inaccessible plumbing pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back