Lets chat about our earwax...
Feb 16, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #46 of 68
I am reminded about the time I was in PE class in Jr. High School and the gym teacher addressed the class about the need for some of us to begin to wear jock straps. "Some of you guys need to wear a jock", he said. Then he looked through the ranks and announced in front of everyone, "Montalbano (a classmate), you need one".

dd3mon, of everyone who posted about their earwax, your ears are the only ones that appear to truly warrant the use of one of those home ear wax removal kits. It is safer and more effective than inserting a Q-tip deep into the ear canal. You have a serious problem with ear wax build up. Everyone else should use soapy water in the shower to wash out their ears.

Feb 16, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by robert
a couple of thoughts (re-runs, but then, sos's the thread).

if earvwax being jammed into the ear canal and damaging the ear were that much of an issue, then Etymotic would (almost, for legal reasons) have to post a warning about NOT using their phones. i don't remember them doing that. and, i find the foamies on my ER4s to be quite good at cleaning. the silicones only so, so.

Exactly. I have been amused by the number of posts alarmingly proclaiming, "Whatever you do, don't put a Q-Tip in your ear! Pardon me, but I have to jam my ER-6s into my ear canal now"

I am pretty sure that of all the risky behaviors I partake in every day, such as commuting by automobile, cooking over a hot stove, and taking a shower, swabbing my ear canal with a bit of cotton is pretty low on the risk meter.

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #48 of 68
The Etys or any plug-type phones don't extend any deeper than you can push your index finger into your ear. This is not a problem. The danger and potential for serious damage comes from probing deeper than that where it is all too easy to scratch the ear canal or if you are unfortunate, probe deep enough to scrape or tear a hole in your eardrum.

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
The Etys or any plug-type phones don't extend any deeper than you can push your index finger into your ear. This is not a problem. The danger and potential for serious damage comes from probing deeper than that where it is all too easy to scratch the ear canal or if you are unfortunate, probe deep enough to scrape or tear a hole in your eardrum.

Either your ear canals are far wider than mine or your fingers are far slimmer than mine.

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #50 of 68
Laughs because he made Tanizaki stick his finger in his ear.

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
everything you need to know is here

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/membe...fo&userid=7227

Gee thanks, Rickcr.
tongue.gif

dd3mon, have you tried the warm soapy water in shower method? It really does work. I had to go to the doctor about 10 years ago for an ear infection w/ excessive wax build-up. That's when the doc told me about the shower method and she very pointedly advised against Q-tips. Most people are not going to be clumsy enough to puncture an eardrum, but it's really easy to push the wax in further and cause a build-up instead of clearing it out.
Since I started doing the rinse-out-in-the-shower method I haven't had any wax issues. (despite my screen name)

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #52 of 68
OK... you people have me paranoid about using Qtips now
frown.gif

If I shower or take a bath (or swim of course) without using a Qtip to "dry" my ear out when I'm finished, I get an ear infection. Seriously. Every time.

Is there any other way to get in there and get that water out?

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #53 of 68
I just could not read this thread beyond the first page so I don't know if this was suggested. I have used peroxide in the past to clean my ears. Esp if they are sore from a cold. Don't know if it is a good idea but when living in the tropics I used to get regular ear infections that antibiotics were useless against and a doctor told be to use peroxide. It works for me and my family.

The soap and water in the bath seems to be a good idea as long as you can get it dry I think in the humid area not being dry caused the nasty ear infection I got.

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #54 of 68
Unless you have an obstruction or a large accumulation of ear wax, after you shower, if you briefly tilt you head to each side what little water is still in your ear canal should run out. There is no problem using the tip of a towel to help dry your ears, because you are in no way attempting to push a hard pointed object deep enough to where you might do damage to the canal or ear drum.

It is important to get the water out, but usually this is all that is required. Your ears are self-cleaning, self draining, audio transducers. For the most part, for most people, other than routine bathing or showering no other cleaning or maintenance is required.

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #55 of 68
Wow, this is very timely for me. I tried to use my ER-6s the other day and got a big bunch a wax on them and no sound came out. I think my problem is due to my usage of a stethescope practically every day which seems to be shoving all of the wax in deeper. I even get strange sounds in my ear (wax moving I hope) when I pull on the tops of my ears. Thanks for the suggestions and I'm going to try that shower cleaning method.

Feb 17, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by UberNewb
OK... you people have me paranoid about using Qtips now
frown.gif

If I shower or take a bath (or swim of course) without using a Qtip to "dry" my ear out when I'm finished, I get an ear infection. Seriously. Every time.

Is there any other way to get in there and get that water out?

You've been using Qtips most of your adult life, right? Without serious incident? Why not continue?

I think that fear over accidentally breaking your eardrum with a Q-tip is analogous to someone who refuses to use a knife for fear he might cut off a finger. Frankly, it is possible to cut off a finger with a knife and it is possible to penetrate your eardrums with a Q-tip. But if you exercise reasonable care, the risks should be sufficiently low to make it worth your while.

Feb 17, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Tanizaki
At least 120 million Japanese do. They're called mimikaki and it is rather common for a mother to clean a child's ears or a wife to clean a husband's ears as a loving gesture.

And yes, my wife is one of those moronic Japanese.

The Chinese and the Koreans also practice the art of "ear digging". In fact, I myself have a wooden ear digger with a cool ninja on the top of it. It might be kinda stupid to use it, but dammit it feels good. I'm quite careful with it, and with enough practice I do believe it is akin to an artform. Ear digging can be quite relaxing (if the person doing the digging is kind and not one of those masochist diggers... some of you other Asian head-fiers might know the type). Most non-Asian westerners that I've met think I'm just weird and crazy, but most of the first or second generation Asians I've met have had some experience with ear digging, and form either a positive or a negative opinion of it.

It's probably an unnecessary risk for me to continue on with ear digging, but it's one of those inborn cultural things that will stick with me for the rest of my life. Really, when you have it done by someone who loves you, it's a great feeling. I don't expect to change anyone's opinion about it, but I implore you to at least keep an open mind about the art and sensation of ear digging. Hell, I love my ears and would be devastated if I injured them, but I still continue with this practice. I used to love getting my ear dug by my parents, and I still love getting it dug by my girlfriend. I realize how kinky that last sentence sounds, so I'll just end my post now.

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #59 of 68
Heck, I have something of a serious earwax problem too. I've had to have my ears unblocked before (big marble-sized balls of wax came out) and since then I've been more careful about cleaning my ears. I probably can clean out a couple cubic milimeters of wax from each ear every day. What do I use? HORRORS: the hard, curved plastic edge of a particular Bic pen cap. Works completely awesomely as a scoop, unlike a Q-Tip, which would just shove more wax back into my ear. Downside: if anyone banged my arm, then yes, I'd end up with a punctured eardrum. However, no one has, and my eardrum is fine.

Would a doctor recommend this method? No. Is it better than a Q-Tip? Probably not at avoiding risk to your eardrum, but it's a much better cleaner and it's not going to compact wax in my ear. And I need to do something, or my ears clog up. So I'm sticking with it :p

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
The Chinese and the Koreans also practice the art of "ear digging". In fact, I myself have a wooden ear digger with a cool ninja on the top of it. It might be kinda stupid to use it, but dammit it feels good. I'm quite careful with it, and with enough practice I do believe it is akin to an artform. Ear digging can be quite relaxing (if the person doing the digging is kind and not one of those masochist diggers... some of you other Asian head-fiers might know the type). Most non-Asian westerners that I've met think I'm just weird and crazy, but most of the first or second generation Asians I've met have had some experience with ear digging, and form either a positive or a negative opinion of it.

It's probably an unnecessary risk for me to continue on with ear digging, but it's one of those inborn cultural things that will stick with me for the rest of my life. Really, when you have it done by someone who loves you, it's a great feeling. I don't expect to change anyone's opinion about it, but I implore you to at least keep an open mind about the art and sensation of ear digging. Hell, I love my ears and would be devastated if I injured them, but I still continue with this practice. I used to love getting my ear dug by my parents, and I still love getting it dug by my girlfriend. I realize how kinky that last sentence sounds, so I'll just end my post now.

You should get one of those sterling silver ones and have your name engraved on it. I've seen them for about 5000 yen or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back