Lets chat about our earwax...
Feb 15, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 68
I have been to the doctor and got my ears flushed out...

AMAZING!

It was incredible the amount of sensitivity to noise my ears had after clearing out the rather large lumps (eww gross) of earwax. I think it took about a day for my ears to adjust to the change in volume. Everything was louder. I could hear things that I never noticed before. Be prepared for a very weird sensation when getting your ears flushed out with water. It sounds like a freakin' waterfall in your ear! Not a very comfortable procedure, but damn... the difference is night and day.

Previously, I have tried the gimmicky ear candles. They were interesting. It was fun (and gross) to see what the candle drew from my ear. The downside was that I only had two candles (one for each ear) and I really needed more in order to draw out all the gunk. Because I only used one per ear, it actually made my hearing worse and I experienced clogged ear canals. Ear Candles have since been banned in Canada due to obvious dangers (damaging your ear, burning your hair off, etc).

Ear candles, although interesting, are no match for flushing out your ears with warm water, performed by a doctor. In Canada, this procedure is done absolutely free. Ear candles are usually expensive. Finally, the difference is night and day with the water technique.

If you haven't ever had your ears flushed out. Go and get it done! Hear what you're missing!

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007

AMAZING!

It was incredible the amount of sensitivity to noise my ears had after clearing out the rather large lumps (eww gross) of earwax. I think it took about a day for my ears to adjust to the change in volume. Everything was louder. I could hear things that I never noticed before. Be prepared for a very weird sensation when getting your ears flushed out with water. It sounds like a freakin' waterfall in your ear! Not a very comfortable procedure, but damn... the difference is night and day.

Yeah it's quite amazing what happens when your ears are cleaned out, it kinda makes you stagger for a second because everything comes in clearer and you just go... "Wow..."

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 68
I want to try it. I'd feel pretty silly calling a doctor and asking if I can setup an appointment to have my ears flushed though. So I'm guessing the ear doctor is the way to go? Any idea on prices in US?

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 68
I actually had a big probelm with my ears before so i might help you.

You can after you get out of the shower...

1 qyips, which is what i do.
2. rubbing achyocol, which is best. just take a little dripper and put a drop in your ear, this dries up all the water, just like gas does in a gas tank.

this solves your water issue, if you had one.

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007

AMAZING!

Previously, I have tried the gimmicky ear candles. They were interesting. It was fun (and gross) to see what the candle drew from my ear. The downside was that I only had two candles (one for each ear) and I really needed more in order to draw out all the gunk. Because I only used one per ear, it actually made my hearing worse and I experienced clogged ear canals. Ear Candles have since been banned in Canada due to obvious dangers (damaging your ear, burning your hair off, etc).

Ear candles, although interesting, are no match for flushing out your ears with warm water, performed by a doctor. In Canada, this procedure is done absolutely free. Ear candles are usually expensive. Finally, the difference is night and day with the water technique.

If you haven't ever had your ears flushed out. Go and get it done! Hear what you're missing!

asked my doctor about this, and had it done twice..
he said most people never need it, only if you have ear probelms alot, like i do....or used to

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

Who HONESTLY uses HAIR PINS, or anything sharp, to clean their ears?

like using an icepick ,not the smartest move
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 68
a friend of mine's dad used to use keys.. lol.. dunno if he still does, this was when we were kids... we'd be driving and id see him pull out a key from his pocket and start diggin! hahaha...

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by bhd812
asked my doctor about this, and had it done twice..
he said most people never need it, only if you have ear probelms alot, like i do....or used to

Well, the reason I got my ears flushed was because I couldn't hear anything out of my right ear. So he flushed it out, and did the left one at the same time. I think that getting them flushed once a year would be acceptable.

For general maintenance though, I still use moistened q-tips. I just don't jam them very deep in my ear. I am very cautious when using q-tips since I have heard first-hand horror stories of paying visits to the doctor. I use them maybe once a week. But everyday in the shower, I clean my ears with a wet face towel. I just use my finger to clean as much as I can. No way you can damage your ears that way...

Once when I was young, my grandfather litteraly snuck up on me and used the hairpin on me. It scared the **** outta me since I had no clue what he was doing. Not cool at all. To this day, I still have no idea what he was thinking...

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
The ear canal is covered in very soft tissue. It can be easily abraded (scratched) and then become inflamed or infected by a Q-tip or anything with a hard or sharp edge, not to mention the problems that can be created if you happen to puncture or tear your ear drum.

This is reading like an argument against Ety 4Ps.

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #28 of 68
I know I have a problem with earwax buildup. I simply use Q-tips (carefully) each day and more recently, every few months I use earwax softener which does help a bit. But I find more of my ear problems have to do with my sinuses than anything else. Sudafed works wonders on pressure buildup.

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #29 of 68
Ear flushing!
It's the closest thing to an audio rush I've ever known! I must be a freak because I get mine done every 8 months like clockwork. Suffice to say, I do shower twice a day
280smile.gif

Walking down the street afterwards you can just hear everything, and locate the sound. Coins rattling in someone's pocket, or birds or the sound of a leaf hitting the ground. Busy roads become quite scary!!

Feb 16, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 68
Next on my list of upgrades: ear cleanings, twice a year. It's a lot more sensible tweak than cables or "demagnetizers!" I wonder what outsiders would think of this thread
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back