Let me tell you a story.
Jan 6, 2004 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48
Once upon a time, a guy that ran a forum web site about widgets banned a commercial interest from his web site due to repeated violations of the rules, and repeated attempts to circumvent the rules at the web guy's web site.

At first it was a temporary ban that included a warning to this commercial interest that any further violations would result in a permanent ban.

Lo, the commercial interest continued to violate the rules, so the web site guy, as per his warning, banned the commercial interest permanently.

Upon realizing he was banned, this commercial interest started to hint to the web site guy that legal action (read: a lawsuit) was being considered by the commercial interest against the web site guy. The moment a threat of legal action is even hinted at against the web site guy, then the web site guy is of the mind to completely sever all ties -- and refuse all transactions with -- the commercial interest. As such, the web site guy will not allow any material provided by the commercial interest to be posted on his web site. If a person who purchased widgets from this commercial interest took his own pictures of widgets he bought from this commercial interest, then, of course, he could go ahead and post them. However, any material provided by this commercial interest, and/or from this commercial interest's web site -- even if it's a photo of a customer's widget that the commercial interest (or an affiliate of the commercial interest) took -- will not be allowed to be posted on the web site of the web site guy in this story.

As the story goes, the commercial interest has since then still continued to try to violate the rules of the web site guy's web site by repeatedly attempting to register, and registering, additional profiles. Using one such profile, this commercial interest acted in a manner that the web site guy considered very unethical, posing as a normal customer of the commercial interest, and, of course, recommending widgets by that commercial interest, acting in the role of a disinterested third party/satisfied customer (behavior for which the web site guy -- as the lore has it -- has proof of occurence). This type of behavior makes the web site guy's determination to sever all ties with the commercial interest even more resolute.

The End.

I don't expect everyone to enjoy this story, but that's the story (and still there's more that could be told).

Jan 6, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 48
I am surprised that you; a) posted this and b) opened this thread.

I didn't see where you needed to tell us all the details of what has happened. I do however, appreciate that you shared this "story" with us.

I am rather shocked that this thread is now open to reply.
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 48
Well, I may not have enjoyed it but I did learn a new word...widgets.
smily_headphones1.gif
Things make sense now though.

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 48
Okay, I am pretty sure everybody know who you are talking about now, but I would like to point something out: If this person is acting like this perhaps his commercial practices leave a lot to be desired also. I am considering some of his products, but after the obvious finger pointing here, I would rather not, if anything, to stop encouraging such conduct. In any case, if someone has complaints about this individual perhaps they should be posted. Would that be against the decision of "severing ties" with this person?

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Okay, I am pretty sure everybody know who you are talking about now, but I would like to point something out: If this person is acting like this perhaps his commercial practices leave a lot to be desired also. I am considering some of his products, but after the obvious finger pointing here, I would rather not, if anything, to stop encouraging such conduct.

You really shouldn't make presumptions. This story is just that, a story. Don't you think Jude has a good reason for not naming names?

Quote:

In any case, if someone has complaints about this individual perhaps they should be posted. Would that be against the decision of "severing ties" with this person?

That's what the feedback forum is for. Anyone with complaints about a transaction should post them there.

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 48
Jude, with all respect, and respect to the troubles that this mystery user has given you, i think it's wrong to hold their products to a different set of rules and regulations that you do everyone elses. I believe that the product announcements forum is a great start to this issue, however, i think the only ethical thing to do at this point, given you've declared your opposition to this person's new products is to close and delete all of the threads on head-fi that apply to the topic of announcing new gear, and not changing a thing anywhere else.

Furthermore, if the people of head-fi would like to judge this person for their actions, they are fully entitled to, however, i think it is only fair to give this mystery person a chance to defend himself and tell his side of the story.

That's just my 0.02

And a widget is a generic term used in ecconomics to describe any sort of non-specfic product.

(edited to correct a spelling error)

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

i think it's wrong to hold their products to a different set of rules and regulations that you do everyone elses.

It would be, except, hypothetically speaking, if this mystery individual were to be banned, his or her products could ethically be held to a different set of rules and regulations as a result of that ban.

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 48
Ebonyks, I agree with you. Unfortunately for the mystery person, he really ended the opportunity for that kind of reconciliatinon by threatening legal action. I've had several lawyers tell me to do exactly what the webmaster in Jude's story did if someone threatens me with legal action -- cease all communication and start keeping detailed records of everything. It sucks, but it's the kind of world we live in. Once someone starts to pull that stuff, you have to stay far away, because you never know if/when they'll start it again. One lawsuit could doom this forum, so extreme caution is even more necessary. I think reconciliation would be good to see, but the risk is way too great. (The fake/multiple accounts only serve to further illustrate the mystery person's lack of judgment, and the risk involved in dealing with him/her.)

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 48
Let me clarify in that i am in no way defending the actions of said mystery person, nor am i asking for him to be allowed to return to the forums. I am simply asking that his products be treated the same way that every one elses would on the forums, which is, not at all. I don't believe the thread(s) that were posted about said person's product should be allowed, but at the same time, neither should anyone be able to make simliar posts on these forums. I agree with jude's actions on the matter, but i believe that is should take the next step, and apply his actions to everyone.

Jan 6, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Okay, I am pretty sure everybody know who you are talking about now...

Not me
confused.gif
I have been logging in this site daily since August but I still had to do some research (with the help of some here) until I did link the pieces together.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Not me
confused.gif
I have been logging in this site daily since August but I still had to do some research (with the help of some here) until I did link the pieces together.
rolleyes.gif

You know, coming to think of it, perhaps I got the wrong impression. Hey, could someone fill me in on who's this guy? Not that I would post it here, but I just want to be sure I am on the rigth mark here. You know, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back